2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2021 Caroline Ducharme to UConn

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've seen this reference to "the private school league" several times, and it's not really an accurate title. NEPSAC is an association of about 170 private schools from all over New England, including a few from the Hudson River valley in New York State. I know that because of a 34-year stint at one of those schools (from Connecticut). I coached girls basketbal, acted as an Athletic Director, and for awhile was on the board that oversaw the annual basketball tournament for girls. There were several tournament divisions; my school made it to the "large school" (AA at that time) finals three times, won it in 1983. Most of the large schools' better players went on to Division II, and some of those were very successful. Example: that '83 team had a 6'2" center who led the nation in rebounding at her Division II college. One of our girls was a starter for James Madison and did have a brief stay in the WNBA. But a UConn-level player was not visible during my years, even at the larger schools who sought and used post-graduate players.
BTW, the team we beat in '83, if I recall correctly, was Nobles.
Ayla Brown, a one time UConn recruit and Boston College player, went to Nobles. There are a lot of Division I kids that played in the NEPSAC (New England Prep Schools Athletic Conference). @Blakeon18 may have a list somewhere

I found a link to last year’s All Star game program that shows where girls that got a scholly would be playing in college. Aaliyah Boston went to South Carolina University:D

On the guy’s side, UConn’s Alex Oriakhi went toTilton Academy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Abs

Just about all her shots were from inside and she missed one out of three of them. But shooting 66% from 2 is outstanding for a non-center. What I was talking about was unopposed layups. wcbb is filled with players who miss far too many of them. Another thing wcbb players seem to never learn is shooting them with their off hand. That shows up most often for right hand players shooting layups from the left side. When I was in college and took basketball as a class you had to make 5-5 layups from both sides using the correct hand and jumping off the correct foot in order to pass. I was very left-handed at that age and had trouble coordinating my footwork to go off the left foot and use my right hand. The memory stuck all these years and I cringe every time I see a D1 scholarship recipient lack what is a basic skill. Heck, even Bueckers often uses her right hand shooting a layup from the left side.
Did you get a gander at how many Huskies this year missed layups???? It seems like the most elementary shot in the world is missed quite often, particularly when a player is either rushing it, has a head of steam or is under serious pressure from a defender. Tamika Williams's field goal percentage is beyond amazing, period

Reaction Score
Did you get a gander at how many Huskies this year missed layups???? It seems like the most elementary shot in the world is missed quite often, particularly when a player is either rushing it, has a head of steam or is under serious pressure from a defender. Tamika Williams's field goal percentage is beyond amazing, period

Nothing drives me crazier than some spectacular ball-handling, a spin move to an open layup and ... Head bang

That's me in the smilie.

Reaction Score
Ayla Brown, a one time UConn recruit and Boston College player, went to Nobles. There are a lot of Division I kids that played in the NEPSAC (New England Prep Schools Athletic Conference). @Blakeon18 may have a list somewhere

I found a link to last year’s All Star game program that shows where girls that got a scholly would be playing in college. Aaliyah Boston went to South Carolina University:D

On the guy’s side, UConn’s Alex Oriakhi went toTilton Academy
NEPSAC is taking over. Especially on the boys side. The best girls CT player (verballed to BC) last year left Trumbull for a Fairchester school. Sad to say, but these private schools, most of them boarding schools, have alot more to offer. Kids are leaving the public/Catholic schools to attend the NEPSAC institutions.

Reaction Score
You can have more than one bestie. I bet Paige, Azzi, Saylor and Amari are all her besties! I’ve watched a lot of video snippets on Caroline Ducharme and she is really good!!
She works real hard and will be a GREAT fit for UCONN. Welcome Caroline! See you soon!

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
22-23 is when the starting lineups could become a problem but a nice problem if all pans out.
1. Ice, Deberry, Edwards and Paith should all be in the rotation at 4/5 spots.
2. Aubrey, Saylor, Caroline and Mir at the 3/4 spot.
3. Anna, Paige, Mir, 2 spot.
4.Paige, Anna and Nika Pg.

So many potential combos from this group. Should be a nice healthy competition for minutes.
Interesting you have Mir at the 2. Can't wait to see Mir blast into orbit, but can she launch?

Reaction Score
Over the years we have had several CDs beginning with our HOF Associate Head Coach. Honestly I have lost track. Doty and Danger spring to mind, so the question is this. Is Ms. Ducharme going to be known as Caroline Ducharme ?

Reaction Score
One of the most important skills an offensive player can have is putting the ball in the hoop. With today's offensive sets of screen and roll or slide to open spaces, 3 point shooters are critical. Caroline Ducharme seems to have that skill of 3 point shooting with a quick release. She has been compared to KLS for her frame and shooting skills. I will say something about KLS frame and getting knocked off her shot. Similar to Liv this year. She had trouble finishing against stronger opponents underneath or around the hoop. Caroline Ducharme should hit the weight room. She has time before she gets here to gain some strength.

Reaction Score
I don't know whether I am more excited about the coming year or the two after that.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
w
Over the years we have had several CDs beginning with our HOF Associate Head Coach. Honestly I have lost track. Doty and Danger spring to mind, so the question is this. Is Ms. Ducharme going to be known as Caroline Ducharme ?
Yes, it has to be because typing Caroline the Charm is simply too long to type every time so it must be implied within Caroline Ducharme! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I will bet my remaining inventory of Tyler Phommachanh that Caroline Ducharme will be a major contributor to Uconn's many future ncaa championships going forward. She is exactly the type of player that good teams seem to have.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't know whether I am more excited about the coming year or the two after that.
I think the only two to be excited about are the two after this season. I doubt if there will be a season this coming year:(.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I gotta tell yah. CD is the real deal. Her ball handleing and passing at 6'2 are like a point guard. Oh I forget to mention her long long range. She can create her own shot and with the team mates coming in she along with her classmates will be very difficult to guard one on one. We've got 8 players who will be very hard to play one on one. Defenses will have their problems. This team reminds me of a team a few years ago that lost to ND in the FF when they had so many injuries to key players. IMO if healthy that was one of the all time great UConn teams. This team with the incoming classes over the next 3 years is similar. The Greatest Team in WCBB just got better and better and better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Why do you insist on insulting me? Do you harbor some insecurity issues?
Why do you insist on insulting players?

But don't take it personally, it wasn't about you. It's just...look at what you wrote. You claimed to have taken a college level course called "basketball", where to pass you had to make 10 layups??? If that were to be true, would be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. And yet you use this "story" to put down college level athletes, like this would somehow make you better than them???? And you think I have insecurities????

Reaction Score

But don't take it personally, it wasn't about you. It's just...look at what you wrote. You claimed to have taken a college level course called "basketball", where to pass you had to make 10 layups??? If that were to be true, would be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. And yet you use this "story" to put down college level athletes, like this would somehow make you better than them???? And you think I have insecurities????

First, passing phys Ed was required at one of the schools I attended. And just for the record, when I attended UConn they had a Phys Ed course called basketball, one named football, and many others about various other sports. Where did you go to school and did they have a Phys Ed major? And no, it wasn't UNC I attended [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Me? Insist? That's patently false. I don't insult players. Saying that a player lacks a skill isn't an insult.

But suggesting that I took basket weaving at UNC is an insult and if you don't see that I have nothing else to say to you. Unless of course we ever meet in person. :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Me? Insist? That's patently false. I don't insult players. Saying that a player lacks a skill isn't an insult.

But suggesting that I took basket weaving at UNC is an insult and if you don't see that I have nothing else to say to you. Unless of course we ever meet in person. :rolleyes:
Alydar-hold on, you were insulting KLS and what your "memory" of her missing lay-ups that led to much consternation from you. Mind you that KLS was a 3 time WBCA All-American, a two time AAC Player of the Year and now is a pro and a regular at the USA basketball team camps. But yeah, you're right KLS was not good at making layup....SMH. So yes, you are being called out for not showing logic despite many pointing out her overall FG% and you still burying your head in the sand saying the world is flat without any evidence to support your claim. Am I mad at you? No. I usually enjoy your posts, however on this thread you've jumped the shark. Sorry my old horseracing comrade, but you might be better served doing a mea culpa. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Alydar-hold on, you were insulting KLS and what your "memory" of her missing lay-ups that led to much consternation from you. Mind you that KLS was a 3 time WBCA All-American, a two time AAC Player of the Year and now is a pro and a regular at the USA basketball team camps. But yeah, you're right KLS was not good at making layup....SMH. So yes, you are being called out for not showing logic despite many pointing out her overall FG% and you still burying your head in the sand saying the world is flat without any evidence to support your claim. Am I mad at you know, I usually enjoy your posts, however on this thread you've jumped the shark. Sorry my old horseracing comrade, but you might be better served doing a mea culpa. :confused:

I never said she couldn't make layups, only that she missed too many of them. Easy ones. Obviously not enough to damage her shooting %. At the college level uncontested layups should be made at a 95%+ rate. So 70% is a poor number but will make you appear to be a great shooter. Her role was as a freshman, stand in the corner and shoot 3's. My point was that for a 6'3" player her inside game wasn't at the AA standards of her outside game. Is that an insult? It's certainly a criticism but hardly insulting to say that that part of her game wasn't AA stuff? Who did shoot well inside? KML for one. She could be doubled down low but always seemed to flip the ball off the glass with just the right spin.

Another poor inside shooter? Tina Charles. Until her senior year that is. I'd guess that maybe half her offensive rebounds were from her own misses during her first 2 years. Is that an insult or a critique?

Reaction Score
Is this a joke?

BTW you know a player who shoots 40% from 3 has better efficiency that a player that shoots 2's at 55%, right?

KLS had a 62.4% efficiency field goal % rating in her frosh year. That isn't just "good." It's "outstanding." She averaged in double digits for arguably the greatest teams in NCAA History.

What did she do? Beat out a relative of yours for a position when they were younger? KLS started on arguably the greatest team ever while carrying an efficiency rating of 62.4% along with averaging double-digits scoring as a freshman, along with nearly a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio -- and you're seriously trying to knock her freshman year? Please - just stop it. How many players put up these stats as a frosh? Do you realize KLS beat out Collier and Gabby? So we're going to knock a player (a freshman to boot) for being incredibly efficient as a shooter, incredibly efficient as a passer, and good scorer averaging 11 ppg in 23.5 minutes?

Nuts.

You act like I dissed her career, which I didn't, just a small part of her game that wasn't any worse than a lot of other players who went on to long pro careers. Missing bunnies is a never-ending disease infecting wcbb.
As for her freshman stats, which were outstanding, amazing, etc., all she did on offense, for the most part, was stand in a corner or out on a wing and wait till her man left her open to help on the three seniors. For UConn's opponents that season it must have seemed like a special hell, to not only having to figure out how to guard the 3 AA's but now UConn got an almost automatic 3 that can shoot over any guard. And keep the defenses honest. :eek:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Memories, misty water color memories of the way things were....

What a nice old song. You know I've been proven wrong so many times in my recollections of games and players that I've begun fact checking myself. I was going to enter the layup fray to talk about Tamika Williams missed layup in 1999, but i fact checked and found that she was fouled with 7 seconds and made both free throws to win the game. Memories, I guess I was so upset to see the highest percentage shot maker in the history of wcbb, and the wnba, missed that the miss was all i remembered.

Memories do get misty don't they

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom