2021-2022 Hockey East Coaches’ Pre-Season Poll (UConn @ #6) | The Boneyard

2021-2022 Hockey East Coaches’ Pre-Season Poll (UConn @ #6)

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

The top 3 teams in HE are 3 of the 4 New England teams in the preseason top 10 nationally. UConn received 20 points. DI Men's Ice Hockey Rankings - USCHO.com | NCAA.com

795D0696-A3FC-4AB8-AD4F-A636FE06E982.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ranked 6th in the HE preseason? Not bad. About time. Just gotta overtake Providence and Northeastern, which won't be easy.

Hope UMass wins another title.
Just curious. Why do you hope UMASS wins another NC?

Reaction Score
We will end up too 4 in HE.
Very achievable. PC, NU, and UConn are very close together imo then a pretty big drop off to the teams below. I think the coaches deferred to NU's goalie advantage and PC's coaching advantage, but it would not be surprising to see UConn get home ice and a bye in the HE tournament.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

Coach Cavanaugh begins near the end @ the 2:13:40 mark.

Thanks for posting that. Here are some quick takeaways for those that might not have time to listen.

1. Coach says this is one of the more experienced teams he’s had with Evans, Kondelik, Turnbull and Gatcomb returning, among others.
2. Lower ranking does not bother him. Says he’s been on both sides of that…high at BC, low here. It all come down to how we perform on the ice. (Pretty obvious stuff there)
3. starting goalie will be Darion Hanson, grad transfer from Union. A lot of experience, had to sit out last season.
4. Confident in the core of the D that is coming back. Kinal, Rees, Berger, Spetz and another grad transfer in Jarrod Gourley. Also Wheeler and Flynn are experienced returnees and Aidan Metcalfe comes in as a freshman. Should be a solid bunch.
5. Not mentioned, because he wasn’t asked a lot of questions were Firstov, Tverberg, Capone or Shandor. All had solid years last year.

That said, can’t wait to see this team on the ice. The potential for a big season is certainly there. I guess the biggest question mark in in goal for now. Lots of known commodities elsewhere. See y’all at the Sacred Heart game!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m excited to go to a real, live game in person. So much better than watching on my computer. I think they will be higher than 6th also. Let’s goooooo!

Reaction Score
As UConn opens HE play this weekend:

Pretty extensive write-up within (TL/DR version below):

-> 2021-22 Outlook: UConn has the potential to break into the top-four this year and secure an NCAA berth. If everything comes together, that’s their ceiling. They might not have the marketable names like BU or BC, but this is the best roster Mike Cavanaugh has had, and they have the potential to make some noise on a local and national stage. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom