2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 48 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score

Maximillian Gottert is a 6-5 300lb OL from Germany. Max is w/ the PPI recruit group from Europe touring US Colleges for the right fit (same group that Zavier Scott was part of). Max was also on campus this past June.

UConn has had mixed success w/ PPI kids > landed Scott, but lost others who visited (w/ offers) to Arizona, GTech, PennState, Cincy, Virginia and Michigan in recent years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Maximillian Gottert is a 6-5 300lb OL from Germany. Max is w/ the PPI recruit group from Europe touring US Colleges for the right fit (same group that Zavier Scott was part of). Max was also on campus this past June.

UConn has had mixed success w/ PPI kids > landed Scott, but lost others who visited (w/ offers) to Arizona, GTech, PennState, Cincy, Virginia and Michigan in recent years.

Just to add a little more; this exact same group of kids visited Purdue, Indiana and Syracuse over the past week or so. The kid second from the right is Maximillian Mang who looks like a pretty decent DE/OT/TE prospect. Randy has been following Mang on twitter. Mang earned an offer from Toledo yesterday.

Reaction Score

>>Spears had been set on playing college basketball at the highest of levels. He was offered by Central Connecticut last year, and has spoken with Buffalo, Fairfield and UConn as of late. Since he began dominating on the gridiron, he’s had college coaches gauge his interest in playing football at the Division I level, UConn and Boston College among them.

“Right now it’s 50-50,” Spears said of his decision to play basketball or football. He said that he likely won’t make his decision until after the CCC basketball tournament. “I tell all football coaches I’m an open book. I’ll do whatever is in my best interest and to support my family, and for the future as well.”

But can this kid who has just five games of varsity experience under his belt play at the next level? “I think he’s a D1 guy,” said Fleeting. “I’m not just saying that because he’s my guy. If I was playing against him, I’d be like, ‘Damn, he’s a D1 guy.’"

He might be a Division I football player. He might be a Division I basketball player, too. But with two months to go until he turns his attention to the hardwood, he’s going to enjoy what could be his last full season of competitive football.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dropping here just because its Chip Kelly recruiting three big 2020 DLs from the northeast and/or canada (via florida).

Reaction Score

>>Spears had been set on playing college basketball at the highest of levels. He was offered by Central Connecticut last year, and has spoken with Buffalo, Fairfield and UConn as of late. Since he began dominating on the gridiron, he’s had college coaches gauge his interest in playing football at the Division I level, UConn and Boston College among them.

“Right now it’s 50-50,” Spears said of his decision to play basketball or football. He said that he likely won’t make his decision until after the CCC basketball tournament. “I tell all football coaches I’m an open book. I’ll do whatever is in my best interest and to support my family, and for the future as well.”

But can this kid who has just five games of varsity experience under his belt play at the next level? “I think he’s a D1 guy,” said Fleeting. “I’m not just saying that because he’s my guy. If I was playing against him, I’d be like, ‘Damn, he’s a D1 guy.’"

He might be a Division I football player. He might be a Division I basketball player, too. But with two months to go until he turns his attention to the hardwood, he’s going to enjoy what could be his last full season of competitive football.<<

Is this young man related in any way to Reggie Spears ( Norwalk high 1950s)?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Story on DL commit Collin McCarthy. As noted in the story is that he is playing strong at OT this year as well.

After seven games he has 52 tackles (35 solo), 29 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, 29 quarterback pressures and a forced fumble.

His 29 TFL are No. 1 in New Jersey and 19th nationally while his 13 sacks lead the state and are 48th in the nation according to MaxPrep.com.

"It can be frustrating getting tripled teamed all the time but when teams keep running away from me it makes me lose my mind," said McCarthy. "But I get really mad at all the holding, that's my big thing. If you're going to put three guys on me at least don't hold me."

Reaction Score
Story on DL commit Collin McCarthy. As noted in the story is that he is playing strong at OT this year as well.

After seven games he has 52 tackles (35 solo), 29 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, 29 quarterback pressures and a forced fumble.

His 29 TFL are No. 1 in New Jersey and 19th nationally while his 13 sacks lead the state and are 48th in the nation according to MaxPrep.com.

"It can be frustrating getting tripled teamed all the time but when teams keep running away from me it makes me lose my mind," said McCarthy. "But I get really mad at all the holding, that's my big thing. If you're going to put three guys on me at least don't hold me."

Gotta hope this pays dividends come December 18th:

>> Last June following his prodigious junior year, McCarthy gave the University of Connecticut his verbal commitment to continue his academic and athletic career there and play FBS (Division I A) football. McCarthy is following in the footsteps of his father, Mike, who was a star defensive lineman for the Huskies graduating in 1994.

"Coach Edsall (Connecticut head coach Randy Edsall) and I developed a pretty good bond," said McCarthy. "He would call me and we would talk about fishing because we both like to fish. And I think it's kind of cool walking down the hallways and seeing pictures of my dad on the wall, so I'm really proud to be able to continue his legacy there and start my own."<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Owen Snively is a 6-5 270lb DL/TE/OL from Sanborn Regional High School doing a PG year @ the Tilton School in Tilton New Hampshire. Other offers from Albany, Austin Peay, Chattanooga, and University of New Hampshire

Highlights

I think its notable Owen just pulled in an offer from Syracuse moments ago.

Reaction Score
1572297318274.jpeg

Reaction Score
Anyone else worried about the lack of any commitments of late ? After early burst of commits it seems things have gone cold, think there were a few bat signals that were never revealed/ might have gotten cold feet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone else worried about the lack of any commitments of late ? After early burst of commits it seems things have gone cold, think there were a few bat signals that were never revealed/ might have gotten cold feet.

Not at all. The program will wait a little longer to see which seniors emerge this year, plus I think the staff would like to see how we finish the season in order to shape the message and priorities.

Figure 10 kids sign in December and 8-10 more in Feb leaving about 5 slots for spring/summer transfers. Just my guess.

Reaction Score
Not at all. The program will wait a little longer to see which seniors emerge this year, plus I think the staff would like to see how we finish the season in order to shape the message and priorities.

Figure 10 kids sign in December and 8-10 more in Feb leaving about 5 slots for spring/summer transfers. Just my guess.

I believe the head man called out one recruit on social media for not following thru on his commitment. In my book, one bat signal went and remains unanswered

regardless, I am not worried. HCREis famous for wanting to see sr year tape and for stashing kids.

My real hope is that he has warmed to the grad transfers, as we found ones that were true contributors.

Reaction Score
I believe the head man called out one recruit on social media for not following thru on his commitment. In my book, one bat signal went and remains unanswered

regardless, I am not worried. HCREis famous for wanting to see sr year tape and for stashing kids.

My real hope is that he has warmed to the grad transfers, as we found ones that were true contributors.
I’m pretty sure it was Jemari Littlejohn who just commited to App State

Reaction Score
Dropping here just because its Chip Kelly recruiting three big 2020 DLs from the northeast and/or canada (via florida).

We need to get up on these kids.. Get them on campus at least.. opportunity awaits them up in Storrs.. plenty of it...

Reaction Score

It's the most logical way for us to move. I just hope we see at least 5 during the Spring (need more comp at OL, DL, 2 LBs and a TE... We just need a bigger body to help block up front and catch an occassional pass or 2. Our current TEs aren't gonna grow much more..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom