2020 off-season transfers | Page 47 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Morris to Aggies is official [on Aggie website]. Blair will likely start three transfers on the perimeter [by season end]: Morris, Pitts, Green (assuming waivers granted). He also added a quality Juco center and freshman Sahara Jones. Aggies might actually be 7 deep for the first time in years. That said, 3 perimeter starters who had issues at their prior stops does seem like a bit of a powder keg waiting for a spark.

Reaction Score
Morris to Aggies is official [on Aggie website]. Blair will likely start three transfers on the perimeter [by season end]: Morris, Pitts, Green (assuming waivers granted). He also added a quality Juco center and freshman Sahara Jones. Aggies might actually be 7 deep for the first time in years. That said, 3 perimeter starters who had issues at their prior stops does seem like a bit of a powder keg waiting for a spark.
I would be shocked if Kayla Wells did not start her entire senior season. Jordan Nixon and Aaliyah Wilson will also provide strong depth.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Kayla Wells did not start her entire senior season. Jordan Nixon and Aaliyah Wilson will also provide strong depth.

Wells shot 42% from the field last year. Wilson shot less than 36% from the field. Nixon is somewhat an unknown quantity. Wells will likely start at the beginning of the season but Green appears to be a better player. Expect Moriis and Pitts to start from Day One [assuming waivers granted]. Green also has to fully recover so it is reasonable to expect her minutes to start lower and increase over time. Interested to see what the offense looks like. Last year the Aggies O was anemic without Carter in the game. Fair to “wait & see” what develops, but not sure that prior years in the system are exactly a great gauge for future playing time. At times, the Aggies played some really ugly ball last year.

Reaction Score
I am all for giving players a second chance. I have no idea why Morris also didn't work out at Rutgers but maybe being closer to home will help.

If A&M gets their waivers that's not a terrible lineup and there will be some depth at guard. Of course, I don't believe there should be waivers granted but it's not my decision and the NCAA is as unpredictable as a Vegas slot machine.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Good for Gary Blair to be one of those head coaches who believes in providing players with some baggage a second or third chance. Hopefully, can turn any prior issues (large or small) around and get back on track.

As for NCAA waivers, I don't think Green would be granted one if her off-the-court issues are true (which I believe she acknowledge were her own mistakes). Pitts' issues with Whalen were widely reported; so, tough to see the NCAA "rewarding" her with immediate eligibility.

Can't believe someone didn't think a P5 program would swoop Morris up regardless of her troubled past. I can't figure out her situation based on all the time she's spent away from the court, and how much total time she "redshirted" already. But, if her reasoning to return closer to home is the pandemic, she might be the one of the three who has a legitimate reason for a waiver being approved by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
it’s not that shocking that A&M picked her up after she said she was going home. She obviously wasn’t going back to Baylor and she’s holding a grudge against Texas for passing on her for Chastity Patterson. So A&M was the only place left.

Reaction Score
This article unpacks a lot: Texas A&M women's hoops adds former five-star prospect Alexis Morris

“If I was ever going to go to a Texas school, it would have been Baylor or Texas A&M,” Morris said Friday night. “Obviously, I can’t go to Baylor and I want to come home and Texas A&M is a perfect fit for me. I’ve seen the way coach Gary Blair coaches his team and the way he lets his players play the game. I love the staff and I love the family [atmosphere]. I’ve always known these people since I’ve been in high school. This isn’t something new to me. I’m coming home. They’ve welcomed me home with open arms.”

She transferred to Rutgers, which was a frustrating experience on the court as she played 57 minutes, scoring only seven points. But off the court it was another learning experience as she had to sit out a season. The Big Ten granted her a medical hardship that year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
it’s not that shocking that A&M picked her up after she said she was going home. She obviously wasn’t going back to Baylor and she’s holding a grudge against Texas for passing on her for Chastity Patterson. So A&M was the only place left.
For you and @DaBball and maybe even @KnightBridgeAZ -Any idea why she got so little playing time at Rutgers after she was eligible to play? I am not a fan of CVS but she is notorious for giving players second chances and if that player has talent, they usually play. Either medical (listed in DaBball post about her redshirt year) or discipline issues (given her history) are the only two logical reasons I can think for CVS not to play her but that is pure speculation on my part. Any insight? :)

Reaction Score
" . . . I’ve seen the way coach Gary Blair coaches his team and the way he lets his players play the game . . . "

I suspect Coach Blair might let her play like it's Saturday night at the Y, but only if she's as talented
as Chennedy Carter. Is she that talented?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She transferred to Rutgers, which was a frustrating experience on the court as she played 57 minutes, scoring only seven points. But off the court it was another learning experience as she had to sit out a season. The Big Ten granted her a medical hardship that year.
I don't understand that last sentence at all. How was it that the Big Ten granted her a "medical hardship"? And for which year exactly? She announced her transfer to Rutgers on 21 January 2019. She saw her first action in a Rutgers uniform on 28 December 2019.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For you and @DaBball and maybe even @KnightBridgeAZ -Any idea why she got so little playing time at Rutgers after she was eligible to play? I am not a fan of CVS but she is notorious for giving players second chances and if that player has talent, they usually play. Either medical (listed in DaBball post about her redshirt year) or discipline issues (given her history) are the only two logical reasons I can think for CVS not to play her but that is pure speculation on my part. Any insight? :)
Answering (not very completely) both you and @Plebe - I have no idea of the details, but there was a lot of back and forth on the Rutgers board about her, and one of the times when they were ripping on CVS (as per usual) because Morris wasn't on the bench someone else posted that "she was in the hospital". Based on the above, I suppose that was likely true. Apart from legal reasons, Rutgers has always kept the privacy of players and the program high, although when we were in NJ and active fans one could (sometimes) get info through the grapevine.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Answering (not very completely) both you and @Plebe - I have no idea of the details, but there was a lot of back and forth on the Rutgers board about her, and one of the times when they were ripping on CVS (as per usual) because Morris wasn't on the bench someone else posted that "she was in the hospital". Based on the above, I suppose that was likely true. Apart from legal reasons, Rutgers has always kept the privacy of players and the program high, although when we were in NJ and active fans one could (sometimes) get info through the grapevine.
I'm not questioning whether she may have had a medical issue. I just don't understand how the "medical hardship" determination from the Big Ten comes into play. As I know the term, a medical hardship waiver is what a school seeks from the NCAA after a player misses all or most of a season due to injury. Not seeing what role the Big Ten would have in this. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning whether she may have had a medical issue. I just don't understand how the "medical hardship" determination from the Big Ten comes into play. As I know the term, a medical hardship waiver is what a school seeks from the NCAA after a player misses all or most of a season due to injury. Not seeing what role the Big Ten would have in this. What am I missing?
It looks like she only played in 7 games for Rutgers.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Exactly. If a player meets the conditions of a medical hardship, the school still has to submit the request to the NCAA for approval. As long as injury is substantiated, and the maximum number of games played to qualify was not exceeded, it's pretty much a given that waiver will be granted.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All hardship request are submitted through a conference. The role of the conference is to certify and submit to the NCAA reinstatement staff. The conference is the one that certifies that she only played in 7 games and that there was a medical reason that prevented her from playing in more.
The NCAA committee on SA reinstatement is the decision maker. Since most of these things are mechanical/automatic after certification I can see why the Author may be confusing the conference as the decision maker.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I guess I am confused as to whether the medical hardship was applied during her time when she was eligible for Rutgers (and hence only played in 7 games with limited minutes) or if it was during her time waiting for clearance (1 year in residency) which would allow her an 6th year to get her 4 years of total eligibility.

Her playing in the 7 games is what has me confused as either she was healthy to play and didn't get the minutes due to conditioning/easing back into form or if she was simply not thought to be a contributor either due to ability or other factors (discipline as an example).

With her transferring yet again, it does raise the question if there were "other issues" including medical as a reason.

With her being aggressive on Social Media again seeking some sort of permission to go to another school and again calling out programs, me thinks she's a bit of a problem child who needs to mature more-not sure if Gary is the right choice to help that but we shall see. I appreciate the feedback @KnightBridgeAZ and Hope all is safe for you during this pandemic. :)

Plebe

Reaction Score
It looks like she only played in 7 games for Rutgers.

All hardship request are submitted through a conference. The role of the conference is to certify and submit to the NCAA reinstatement staff. The conference is the one that certifies that she only played in 7 games and that there was a medical reason that prevented her from playing in more.
The NCAA committee on SA reinstatement is the decision maker. Since most of these things are mechanical/automatic after certification I can see why the Author may be confusing the conference as the decision maker.
Morris played in only 7 games, which is under the 30% threshold, but several of those games were past the midpoint of the season as defined for waiver purposes. So technically she isn't eligible for a MHW. She may still get (or have gotten?) one, but the decision is far from automatic.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Not surprising at all. I think any Texas Tech outgoing transfer will receive immediately eligibility; but, transferring within the Big 12 could be an issue. Gordon could end up at Alabama with her younger sister.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Not surprising at all. I think any Texas Tech outgoing transfer will receive immediately eligibility; but, transferring within the Big 12 could be an issue. Gordon could end up at Alabama with her younger sister.

Alabama has my bet, too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But they're not transferring due to the alleged mistreatment described in recent reports; they're leaving because their coach who recruited them was fired. At least the timing suggests as much.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
But they're not transferring due to the alleged mistreatment described in recent reports; they're leaving because their coach who recruited them was fired. At least the timing suggests as much.
Not sure I'm following. Were there some quotes where they stated their reasons for leaving? I was assuming their eventual waiver request to the NCAA would state something regarding coaches' abusive behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom