2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
This is pretty cool. She's 6' tall. Obviously the opportunity to do this in a game is very slim. What I take from this is that she could be a very good chase down blocker, as well as a good rebounder from the guard position. Rivers has the potential to he a monster defensively. South Carolina is in good hands. I would like to see her guard Fudd.

I think we will see that for at least two games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sure you'd blacklist her from ever coaching again, if it was within your power. Except for maybe that school 7 o 8 miles away.

I hold no grudges towards her. Our former coach isn't old by coaching standards (55). She could work at a school without high expectations/and on a lower level. Like a Washington, Kansas State, Winthrop, New Hampshire....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I hold no grudges towards her. Our former coach isn't old by coaching standards (55). She could work at a school without high expectations/and on a lower level. Like a Washington, Kansas State, Winthrop, New Hampshire....
How dare you wish that on my Huskies!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How dare you wish that on my Huskies!

Well if you look at her overall record... its actually pretty good. She put Maine on the map... and took Michigan State to a championship game :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: The last real Big 10 team to make it... and the only one since Purdue did it in 2001.

Reaction Score
Or just in a different situation. She did go to a final four

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well if you look at her overall record... its actually pretty good. She put Maine on the map... and took Michigan State to a championship game :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: The last real Big 10 team to make it... and the only one since Purdue did it in 2001.
Yeah her overall resume looks pretty decent. She underachieved fairly significantly at Duke and had them heading the wrong direction. She'd probably be a decent upgrade over the current UW coach but still not really what I'd like to see for the program. Not to mention she'd probably use them as a stepping stone, like several other coaches have done. Why can't the Huskies actually get a good coach who wants to stay put? I'm not asking for that much. It's not like it's Siberia, and overall women's athletics at UW are quite good.

edit--on paper she really does look good, almost 650 career wins and over .700 winning percentage

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah her overall resume looks pretty decent. She underachieved fairly significantly at Duke and had them heading the wrong direction. She'd probably be a decent upgrade over the current UW coach but still not really what I'd like to see for the program. Not to mention she'd probably use them as a stepping stone, like several other coaches have done. Why can't the Huskies actually get a good coach who wants to stay put? I'm not asking for that much. It's not like it's Siberia, and overall women's athletics at UW are quite good.

edit--on paper she really does look good, almost 650 career wins and over .700 winning percentage

Did she underachieve at Duke though?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think you have to look at context. Goestenkors had them right there w/ UConn and Tennessee as the best in the country. They clearly were not at that level under McCallie. And despite some gaudy regular season records, post season results weren't great. There was plenty of talent at first, but the talent level started decreasing.

But to really answer the question, some of our resident Duke fans need to chime in. I'm pretty sure I know what they'll say.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

There was a stretch where Duke had as talented of a roster in the country after UCONN (in my opinion) but never appeared in a Final 4. Although some key injuries definitely played a role (2013 and 2014 in particular), there was no excuse to getting embarrassed on the court when facing off against big time opponents. I remember a game in 2014 vs ND in Durham. I bought two tickets and invited a friend to the game, but she couldn't make it. ND blew out Duke by what felt like 40 points. I was so upset... I didn't even stop by my favorite Durham Burger place for my customary after game meal. In retrospect I was glad my friend couldn't make it... I would have been embarrassed for her to witness such carnage.

Take the 2010-11 team for example. Starting line-up had 2 future WNBA All-stars in the backcourt.. another 1st round pick, and 2 other future WNBA Starters..... IN THE STARTING LINEUP, and another future WNBA player coming off the bench. Go up to Storrs.. and the halftime score was 41-9 UCONN. UConn had a great team that year... but come on... I bet St Johns and Pittsburgh played them closer than that. Played them again in the Elite 8... and get beat by 40 points again. Now my blood pressure is up just thinking about that... lemme go eat a honey bun and calm down. :mad:

Reaction Score
There was a stretch where Duke had as talented of a roster in the country after UCONN (in my opinion) but never appeared in a Final 4. Although some key injuries definitely played a role (2013 and 2014 in particular), there was no excuse to getting embarrassed on the court when facing off against big time opponents. I remember a game in 2014 vs ND in Durham. I bought two tickets and invited a friend to the game, but she couldn't make it. ND blew out Duke by what felt like 40 points. I was so upset... I didn't even stop by my favorite Durham Burger place for my customary after game meal. In retrospect I was glad my friend couldn't make it... I would have been embarrassed for her to witness such carnage.

Take the 2010-11 team for example. Starting line-up had 2 future WNBA All-stars in the backcourt.. another 1st round pick, and 2 other future WNBA Starters..... IN THE STARTING LINEUP, and another future WNBA player coming off the bench. Go up to Storrs.. and the halftime score was 41-9 UCONN. UConn had a great team that year... but come on... I bet St Johns and Pittsburgh played them closer than that. Played them again in the Elite 8... and get beat by 40 points again. Now my blood pressure is up just thinking about that... lemme go eat a honey bun and calm down. :mad:

She did lose to a 1 seed pretty much every year in her defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she gets a job, I am sure it will be written into her contract that no games against UConn should ever be scheduled. ;)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
She did lose to a 1 seed pretty much every year in her defense.
Of the 10 seasons Duke made it to the Postseason, their seasons ended 5 times against Number 1 seeds (Duke was a #2 seed three of those times and a 4 and 5 seed the other two).

The other 5 times their post season ended it was against teams seeded 3 (Duke was a 3 seed), 4 (2 seed), 7 (2 seed), 9 (1 seed), and 10 (2 seed).

Reaction Score
Of the 10 seasons Duke made it to the Postseason, their seasons ended 5 times against Number 1 seeds (Duke was a #2 seed three of those times and a 4 and 5 seed the other two).

The other 5 times their post season ended it was against teams seeded 3 (Duke was a 3 seed), 4 (2 seed), 7 (2 seed), 9 (1 seed), and 10 (2 seed).
In the period when Duke was winning the ACC under McCallie, they usually lost to a 1 seed is all that I was saying.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
21ST CENTURY PROGRAM ASSESSMENT
(Last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, McCallie's final season)

OVERALL RECORD:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 312-95 (76.65 percent)

ACC RECORD:
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 138-48 (74.19 percent)

ACC FINISHES:
Goestenkors: 6 regular season ACC titles, 4 ACCT championships, 6 years finishing 1st, 1 year finishing 2nd
McCallie: 4 regular season ACC titles, 3 ACCT championships, 4 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd, 2 years finishing 3rd, 2 years finishing 4th, 1 year finishing 7th, 1 year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD:
Goestenkors: 23-7 (one NCAA runner-up, three Final Fours, five years at least making the Elite Eight, all seven years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 21-10 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, seven years at least making the Sweet 16, three second round losses, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

PREVIOUS DECADE ANALYSIS
(Last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, McCallie's final season)

OVERALL RECORD:
Goestenkors: 301-46 (86.74 percent)
McCallie: 312-95 (76.65 percent)

ACC RECORD:
Goestenkors: 138-16 (89.61 percent)
McCallie: 138-48 (74.19 percent)

ACC FINISHES:
Goestenkors: 8 regular season ACC titles, 5 ACCT championships, 8 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd
McCallie: 4 regular season ACC titles, 3 ACCT championships, 4 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd, 2 years finishing 3rd, 2 years finishing 4th, 1 year finishing 7th, 1 year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD:
Goestenkors: 33-10 (two NCAA runners-up, four Final Fours, seven years at least making the Elite Eight, all ten years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 21-10 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, seven years at least making the Sweet 16, three second round losses, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

RANKED OPPONENTS (21st Century Program Assessment)
(Last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, McCallie's final season)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 15-14 (51.72 percent)
McCallie: 8-36 (18.18 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 22-49 (30.98 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 72-67 (51.79 percent)

RANKED OPPONENTS (Previous Decade Analysis)
(Last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, McCallie's final season)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 18-18 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 8-36 (18.18 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 34-18 (65.38 percent)
McCallie: 22-49 (30.98 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 81-34 (70.43 percent)
McCallie: 72-67 (51.79 percent)

RECENT PROGRAM DIRECTION (Last four seasons of McCallie's tenure, not included 2019-20, her final season)
Looking at Joanne P. McCallie's 12 years at Duke does not take into account the direction of the program, based on the previous four seasons before 2019-20, McCallie's final season.

OVERALL RECORD:
McCallie: 87-53 (67.44 percent)

ACC RECORD:
McCallie: 38-26 (59.375 percent)

ACC FINISHES:
McCallie: Zero regular season ACC titles, Zero ACCT championships, Zero years finishing 1st, one year finishing 2nd, one year finishing 4th, one year finishing 7th, one year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD:
McCallie: 3-2 (Zero Final Fours, Zero Elite Eights, one Sweet 16, one Second Round loss, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

RANKED OPPONENTS:
Against Top 5 Opponents
McCallie: 1-10 (9.09 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents
McCallie: 4-16 (20.00 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents
McCallie: 13-24 (35.13 percent)

@ucbart , @EricLA , @HuskyNan , @triaddukefan , @CBus13 , @Gamecockfan77 , @nwhoopfan , @eebmg , @DeeHusky , @CocoHusky , @vowelguy

Reaction Score
I think Rivers will be an elite defender at the college level with her attributes. I can definitely see her or Hall getting that assignment. I would pay to see that matchup.
This is pretty cool. She's 6' tall. Obviously the opportunity to do this in a game is very slim. What I take from this is that she could be a very good chase down blocker, as well as a good rebounder from the guard position. Rivers has the potential to he a monster defensively. South Carolina is in good hands. I would like to see her guard Fudd.
So she has scored more than 2000 points in her high school career to date , considered the best skilled offensive girl to ever come out of NC, was the best offensive player on her Mike EYBL Team [Carolina Flames] that had the Key sisters and she is limited to being a very good defender ? I would like to see Fudd guard Rivers

Reaction Score
So she has scored more than 2000 points in her high school career to date , considered the best skilled offensive girl to ever come out of NC, was the best offensive player on her Mike EYBL Team [Carolina Flames] that had the Key sisters and she is limited to being a very good defender ? I would like to see Fudd guard Rivers

Rivers is an elite TWO-WAY player. Not just defensively but she’ll be near impossible to guard at the college level because of her elevation on her jump shots and her Michael Jordan like gliding ability through the air to get to the rim. I have never seen that in a girl before, ever! She’s already 6’1” with DeShields like athleticism and with Dawn’s coaching she could definitely be DPOY as well as NPOY!

Reaction Score

Because if your message I checked out that game in 2010-2011! ? Wow! Talk about piranhas! ??? Lol The UCONN offense was full speed and all over the place! To Duke’s credit, they scored more than 9 points in the half to avoid the setting a record ? (I think they had 11 or 13?) and JPM was very complimentary of the huskies. Duke did play a better second half and as alumni they have done quite well! I expect great things from Kara and Duke in the years to come ☺️

“In a world where you can be anything...be KIND”

Reaction Score

pigeon holing the #2 player in the class as more or less the next Cliney would probably be undershooting it quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Rivers is an elite TWO-WAY player. Not just defensively but she’ll be near impossible to guard at the college level because of her elevation on her jump shots and her Michael Jordan like gliding ability through the air to get to the rim. I have never seen that in a girl before, ever! She’s already 6’1” with DeShields like athleticism and with Dawn’s coaching she could definitely be DPOY as well as NPOY!
She had a video dunking the other day as well, which speaks to her athleticism if nothing else.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
DPOY and NPOY. If she wins those while Bueckers and Fudd are playing college ball, she is indeed a very special player.

Reaction Score
DPOY and NPOY. If she wins those while Bueckers and Fudd are playing college ball, she is indeed a very special player.
The only person that could stop Rivers is Rivers... She has limitless potential. Yes she could very well win both those categories while Bueckers and Fudd are playing, I don’t see why not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom