2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed. | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2019 Coaching Carousel -> Picking up speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UAlbany is a birthplace of many Northeastern coaches. Bob Ford was there for 35 years and touched a lot of guys. So ... while they say NJ guy, Hafley actually has college experience at several northeast D1 (Pitt & RU). And Thamel ... Dion Lewis is from Albany. Albany Academy = same as Andre Jackson of our next hoop team.

Reaction Score
Clemson hired Dabo, who had no head coach or coordinator experience. He was a wide receivers coach. He went from "bad hire" to "hot seat" to an iconic coach.

Someone (Phillips) believed in him...

Reaction Score
If a coach can out recruit his competition, is not a complete xxxooo idiot, he will succeed.

Find future NFL quarterbacks and sign them...and build from there. Tall order but Dabo did that.

Reaction Score
Although we’ll never get details because BC is private, rumor is Hafley got $3MM/yr. I wouldn’t call that hiring on the cheap
In today’s world, that is hiring on the cheap for a P5 school. And, that would not have been a raise for Luke Fickell or Mike Norvell of the G5 AAC, not to mention well below Holgerson at Houston. And, it puts Hafley near the bottom of ACC head coaching pay.

Schiano got $4 million and a huge bump in assistant coach pay to ~$7.7 million per year. I doubt BC will step up on assistant pay.

Reaction Score
Clemson hired Dabo, who had no head coach or coordinator experience. He was a wide receivers coach. He went from "bad hire" to "hot seat" to an iconic coach.

Someone (Phillips) believed in him...

Swinney is a bad comp for Hafley. Swinney had been at Clemson for 6 years before he was hired as full time head coach. And he was given a trial as interim head coach for 7 games before he was hired as head coach. Plus, Clemson is a much easier place to recruit than BC.

Reaction Score
Every coaching hire is a crap shoot. There are very few sure fire hires. Look at the flame outs/plateauing for a lot of coaches. Schiano 2.0 is going to be no better than Edsall 2.0. Fickell is probbaly the only existing head G5 coach that has value but he has as much risk as a coordinator from a top 5 team.

BC at least hired a coach that fans of the former school are sorry to see leave.

Reaction Score
Every coaching hire is a crap shoot. There are very few sure fire hires. Look at the flame outs/plateauing for a lot of coaches. Schiano 2.0 is going to be no better than Edsall 2.0. Fickell is probbaly the only existing head G5 coach that has value but he has as much risk as a coordinator from a top 5 team.

BC at least hired a coach that fans of the former school are sorry to see leave.
Fickell has 4 years of head coaching experience, although one was the temporary coach for Ohio St. And, he has won and rebuilt a program and he has 10 years of experience as a coordinator. He was listed as a potential coach for BC, but he is currently paid what Hafley is rumored to be getting, so that wasn't happening. I think he is holding out for a top Midwestern job, either Michigan St. or Notre Dame.

As for Schiano, the rebuild at Rutgers 2.0 is much harder than 1.0 due to the competition in the Big 10 East. I'm not sure anyone could make Rutgers more than a mid tier team in the Big 10 East, but they have a shot with Schiano. That said, he will recruit well his first two years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Swinney is a bad comp for Hafley. Swinney had been at Clemson for 6 years before he was hired as full time head coach. And he was given a trial as interim head coach for 7 games before he was hired as head coach. Plus, Clemson is a much easier place to recruit than BC.
its all relative For Clemson to be where they are and want to they have to recruit against Bama, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, etc BCU doesn't

Reaction Score
He was listed as a potential coach for BC, but he is currently paid what Hafley is rumored to be getting, so that wasn't happening.

Fickell is paid $2.3 million at Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
As I said, great recruiter, no experience as a head coach or coordinator. It could be a great hire, but it’s a high risk hire. He has not been an offensive coach and he has never hired an offensive coordinator or any other coach.

What this hire tells me is BC decided to hire on the cheap so they could not attract a proven head coach. People may fault Rutgers for hiring Schiano, but even if he doesn’t work out, he has helped fix two of Rutgers problems: low spending on coaches and facilities.

1)Well the only way you get experience as a HC is by being a HC. Someone was going to give him a shot eventually, might as well be them. Sure there's risk involved but BC clearly wanted a departure from Addazio's Old School methodologies, annual 6-6 campaigns, and recruiting classes in the 60-80 range. Hafley will get talent to Chestnut Hill. If he flames out the cupboard will be well stocked for the next guy.

2)I doubt they got off cheap. If OSU wanted to try keep him they could easily have offered him close to 2 mil. I suspect BC went over that amount. Sure its not SEC Money, but its good for a bottom half ACC Program.

Reaction Score
In today’s world, that is hiring on the cheap for a P5 school. And, that would not have been a raise for Luke Fickell or Mike Norvell of the G5 AAC, not to mention well below Holgerson at Houston. And, it puts Hafley near the bottom of ACC head coaching pay.

Schiano got $4 million and a huge bump in assistant coach pay to ~$7.7 million per year. I doubt BC will step up on assistant pay.
Fickell has 4 years of head coaching experience, although one was the temporary coach for Ohio St. And, he has won and rebuilt a program and he has 10 years of experience as a coordinator. He was listed as a potential coach for BC, but he is currently paid what Hafley is rumored to be getting, so that wasn't happening. I think he is holding out for a top Midwestern job, either Michigan St. or Notre Dame.

Agree on Fickell. BC isn't really a step up and hes a guy that's spent all his time in Ohio. Hes waiting for a top B10 job to open up to make a jump. He can probably leverage another raise or two at Cincinnati while he waits it out of he keeps performing.

Reaction Score
its all relative For Clemson to be where they are and want to they have to recruit against Bama, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, etc BCU doesn't

Clemson competes for national titles against Bama, LSU, Michigan, Ohio St, etc and BC does not. In their ACC division, they are competing with Clemson, FSU, Louisville, etc.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
1)Well the only way you get experience as a HC is by being a HC. Someone was going to give him a shot eventually, might as well be them. Sure there's risk involved but BC clearly wanted a departure from Addazio's Old School methodologies, annual 6-6 campaigns, and recruiting classes in the 60-80 range. Hafley will get talent to Chestnut Hill. If he flames out the cupboard will be well stocked for the next guy.

2)I doubt they got off cheap. If OSU wanted to try keep him they could easily have offered him close to 2 mil. I suspect BC went over that amount. Sure its not SEC Money, but its good for a bottom half ACC Program.

its good news for UCONN

Addazio had a solid tie to Connecticut & got many in-state kids we’d want. Hafley will have a broad target range. And not so specifically CT

Reaction Score
There are fewer blue chippers in Connecticut so keeping them home would seem a priority...

A Uconn coach, for a blue chip athlete, is facing recruiting competition....makes it tough to pull in a known commodity.

The Rivals 2018 #5 quarterback (247 3rd best QB) played for Avon Old Farms in Bridgeport. Is a freshman at Clemson...played clean up in three games this year.

Reaction Score
That is his base salary not total compensation. He made $2.4 million this year plus a bonus potential of $700k. He will make close to $3 million this year.

Why would he leave Cincy to go to BC for comparable pay with harder competition?

Bottom line, BC could not afford a successful G5 coach and had to hire a P5 assistant.

Read the article. He is not making close to three million. He gets 250,000 if he makes a New Year 6 bowl, not happening. Maybe he makes $2.5 with bonuses this year, no where close to 3. BC is paying well over 3 million.

I agree he did not want to leave the Midwest, it wasn’t a money issue.

Reaction Score
Read the article. He is not making close to three million. He gets 250,000 if he makes a New Year 6 bowl, not happening. Maybe he makes $2.5 with bonuses this year, no where close to 3. BC is paying well over 3 million.

I agree he did not want to leave the Midwest, it wasn’t a money issue.
It looks like he will make $2.6 to $2.7 million this year. $2.4 million base plus bonus between $200k and $300k. The rumors are Hafley will average $3 million per year over his contract so probably less than $3 million in year 1.

Reaction Score
$3 million ranks about #49 out of 130....according to 2019 USA Today ranking.

Cal, Texas Tech, Memphis, Oregon, Arizona, Arizona State, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Maryland, etc...pay less than $3 million.

Reaction Score
Besides new HCs and their staffs, there are always changes to the assistant coaching positions. When does that merry-go-round generally start? After the dust has settled for the HC vacancies?
Are any of UConn's assistants "desirable" on the hiring market? Seems like with our record even if they were doing a good job it would be hard for an outsider to know.

Reaction Score
Are any of UConn's assistants "desirable" on the hiring market? Seems like with our record even if they were doing a good job it would be hard for an outsider to know.

I'm more thinking, will we get a new OC or OL coach or will Giufre keep coaching both? UConn assistants may not be FBS worthy, but always possible an FCS team asks them about about a position that's technically a promotion. Also interested to see what happens to Pete Rossamondo.

Reaction Score
its good news for UCONN

Addazio had a solid tie to Connecticut & got many in-state kids we’d want. Hafley will have a broad target range. And not so specifically CT

Sure I guess, but if Uconn ever wants to actually win games again then they themselves need to hire a coach who might be able to recruit the type of players that a coach like Hafley will be targeting. The top tier of Ct Prospects are not going to Uconn. The prospects that are leftover are nowhere near strong enough to build a program around. Uconn needs to triple down with recruiters in NJ, DMV, and Florida. I'm not an alum, but I consider myself a fan. I've watched the majority of games since the end of The PP Era. The talent is not markedly better now than it was under Disastro. Its still FCS and low FBS with a handful of diamonds in the rough that polish up nicely. The main difference is that roster distribution is not being handled by a crazy person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom