2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Here's a report from the fall:

She's the next "Big Thing" in NJ High School WBB....made my daughter look silly more then once this summer.Yes. there is definitely interest from UConn among many others

MainlandGirlsBball @MainlandGBBall
Congrats to new Mustang Kylie Watson on receiving 3 NCAA D1 offers in one week! UVA, Nova, and Louisville would be getting one great kid!

KYLEE WATSON- MAINLAND REG HIGH SCHOOL-6’3’- FORWARD

Now some will question why she is on this list. While she will not be attending a shore school. She is every bit a shore player. She has trained and played with shore teams thought-out her young career. She is currently playing up as part of the best 2019 AAU team in the state, THE JERSEY STARZ’S. There is zero question who is the best incoming freshman in the entire state of New Jersey; Kylee Watson is a player every program would be proud to build around. Her teammates like, respect and admire her. Next she has no ego, she will be the same person everyday she walks in the gym…she is a attitude free player. She will not expect special treatment and her family will not allow it. Her mother and future high school coach was a star at Delaware University. Her father is a former football coach. They will not allow this young lady to step out of bounds as a player of student. Her impact will be much like last year’s mega star baby Faith Masonius….off the charts. She is a true point forward in every sense of the word. She can put the ball on the deck, shoot three’s, post up and is murder off the dribble. She plays on both sides of the floor, she can block shots and can guard every single position on the floor. Here is what I will say about Kylee Watson, she may be most talented player with her size….I HAVE EVER SEEN. My guess is that she will be one of the Top 10 players in the country one day. There is zero question she will be a one of the best player in New Jersey next season. She is a SHORE ADOPTED PLAYER IN MY MIND….she is a mega talent with a real understanding what the word teammate means.

Charlie would you say her game is similar to that of Stewie?

Reaction Score
I didn't see Stewart in high school but I assume she was more advanced at this point........Watson has had some great games already this season but some pretty average ones too........she is a work in progress but her talent is undeniable.....I hate to sound "sexist" but it doesn't hurt that she has the looks and personality to be a Disney Channel star

Reaction Score
Wow, that's quite an analysis.

That is Tiny Green's analysis not mine............he runs one of the most successful
basketball training facilities on the east coast out of South Jersey........former DI men's coach has produced literally hundreds of DI players...........if a kid can play at the DI level in NJ he knows of her.........my daughter took the long trip down there to train over the summer..........there were about 20 -30 DI level recruits working out .........it was kind of like a mini UConn south in terms of the work they put in..........needless to say it was a real eye opener for a kid who thought she was a pretty good basketball player.........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If Brunelle picks any other school other then Uconn, I will never speak of her again. Same as I did (didn't) do regarding EDD!

Hey doggie, get off that ledge. Megatron hasn't even enrolled yet!! ;):rolleyes:
(And then there's Charli the following year....).
We should all be in such a good place :D

Reaction Score
Just returned from the Coach's Choice Tournament in Holmdel NJ where some of the best teams in the tri-state area were playing today. I was sitting with a father of two promising players on one of the teams. He pointed across the gym to the top row and said "isn't that one of the UConn coaches over there?" I looked over and said nope, then looked over a few seats and said "but that is a UConn coach a few seats over to the right"..........indeed CD was holding court with other college coaches and fans alike...........she stayed for the entire Long Island Lutheran vs. Rumson Fair Haven battle which was a really entertaining game. While both teams have future DI players on their rosters, there was only one player that could have brought CD from Storrs down to near the Jersey Shore..........and that player is Celeste Taylor who I have spoken so highly of in the past few months...............she is the fourth ranked guard and the twentieth ranked player in the 2019 class..........she is one of those effortlessly
athletic players who looks good even when she misses shots and she missed plenty today but she also made some simply astonishing end to end dashes one of which just broke the resistance of the opposing team

Nike Nationals-July 2016: Athletic off-guard attacks in transition game, finishes plays in traffic; quick-leaper with high-motor effort, active on glass; delivers off screens to the arc complemented by emerging mid-range game consistency; a stock-riser in the class of 2019. (Olson)

................interestingly, CD did not stay to watch the feature game of the tournament which was nationally ranked Manasquan versus Rutgers Prep............it was kind of a shame that she missed it, not because she didn't get to see Dara Mabrey (the little sister) or Faith Masonius or Lolla Mullaney the three big Manasquan stars............no, it was a Rutgers Prep player by the name of Leilani Correa who was by far the best player on the court today.............I had recently seen her name on line after voting in a NJ.Com poll for the best sophomore basketball players in NJ................there were about twenty players listed including one of my daughters best friends who I voted for just to be a nice guy......she had 75 votes, the first place player had about seven thousand votes at the time............in the comments section there was only only short note............it stated "why is Leilani Correa from Rutgers Prep not included on your list of best sophomores?"

I didn't think anything of it until I heard the starting line up for Rutgers Prep today and I mentioned her name to the Dad I was with............he said she was a really special player.............and indeed after watching her I would say she is basically Celeste Taylor in a 5'7" body...........graceful, athletic with a killer's instinct.........I'm sorry CD missed seeing her and I hope she will get the chance to watch this kid play in the future because somebody is going to get an exceptional player........

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Just returned from the Coach's Choice Tournament in Holmdel NJ where some of the best teams in the tri-state area were playing today. I was sitting with a father of two promising players on one of the teams. He pointed across the gym to the top row and said "isn't that one of the UConn coaches over there?" I looked over and said nope, then looked over a few seats and said "but that is a UConn coach a few seats over to the right".....indeed CD was holding court with other college coaches and fans alike......she stayed for the entire Long Island Lutheran vs. Rumson Fair Haven battle which was a really entertaining game. While both teams have future DI players on their rosters, there was only one player that could have brought CD from Storrs down to near the Jersey Shore.....and that player is Celeste Taylor who I have spoken so highly of in the past few months.....she is the fourth ranked guard and the twentieth ranked player in the 2019 class.....she is one of those effortlessly
athletic players who looks good even when she misses shots and she missed plenty today but she also made some simply astonishing end to end dashes one of which just broke the resistance of the opposing team

Nike Nationals-July 2016: Athletic off-guard attacks in transition game, finishes plays in traffic; quick-leaper with high-motor effort, active on glass; delivers off screens to the arc complemented by emerging mid-range game consistency; a stock-riser in the class of 2019. (Olson)

......interestingly, CD did not stay to watch the feature game of the tournament which was nationally ranked Manasquan versus Rutgers Prep..it was kind of a shame that she missed it, not because she didn't get to see Dara Mabrey (the little sister) or Faith Masonius or Lolla Mullaney the three big Manasquan stars..no, it was a Rutgers Prep player by the name of Leilani Correa who was by far the best player on the court today...I had recently seen her name on line after voting in a NJ.Com poll for the best sophomore basketball players in NJ......there were about twenty players listed including one of my daughters best friends who I voted for just to be a nice guy.she had 75 votes, the first place player had about seven thousand votes at the time..in the comments section there was only only short note..it stated "why is Leilani Correa from Rutgers Prep not included on your list of best sophomores?"

I didn't think anything of it until I heard the starting line up for Rutgers Prep today and I mentioned her name to the Dad I was with..he said she was a really special player...and indeed after watching her I would say she is basically Celeste Taylor in a 5'7" body......graceful, athletic with a killer's instinct....I'm sorry CD missed seeing her and I hope she will get the chance to watch this kid play in the future because somebody is going to get an exceptional player...
Thanks for the report, Charlie.

Reaction Score
Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 11h11 hours ago
WBB: Mariah Perez, 6-3 C, Newark Tech HS (NJ-2019), recently gained an offer from WVU, interest from South Carolina

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-8714432771175795713/newark-techs-mariah-perez-draws-interest-offer-from-pair-of-top-25-programs/ …

My daughter's team scrimmaged against Ms Perez earlier this year.....she sent one of my kid's shots somewhere into outer space............she is already very good with a nasty streak (in a good way) but needs work offensively, again only a 10th grader

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Just returned from the Coach's Choice Tournament in Holmdel NJ where some of the best teams in the tri-state area were playing today. I was sitting with a father of two promising players on one of the teams. He pointed across the gym to the top row and said "isn't that one of the UConn coaches over there?" I looked over and said nope, then looked over a few seats and said "but that is a UConn coach a few seats over to the right".....indeed CD was holding court with other college coaches and fans alike......she stayed for the entire Long Island Lutheran vs. Rumson Fair Haven battle which was a really entertaining game. While both teams have future DI players on their rosters, there was only one player that could have brought CD from Storrs down to near the Jersey Shore.....and that player is Celeste Taylor who I have spoken so highly of in the past few months.....she is the fourth ranked guard and the twentieth ranked player in the 2019 class.....she is one of those effortlessly

......interestingly, CD did not stay to watch the feature game of the tournament which was nationally ranked Manasquan versus Rutgers Prep..it was kind of a shame that she missed it, not because she didn't get to see Dara Mabrey (the little sister) or Faith Masonius or Lolla Mullaney the three big Manasquan stars..no, it was a Rutgers Prep player by the name of Leilani Correa who was by far the best player on the court today...I had recently seen her name on line after voting in a NJ.Com poll for the best sophomore basketball players in NJ......there were about twenty players listed including one of my daughters best friends who I voted for just to be a nice guy.she had 75 votes, the first place player had about seven thousand votes at the time..in the comments section there was only only short note..it stated "why is Leilani Correa from Rutgers Prep not included on your list of best sophomores?"

I didn't think anything of it until I heard the starting line up for Rutgers Prep today and I mentioned her name to the Dad I was with..he said she was a really special player...and indeed after watching her I would say she is basically Celeste Taylor in a 5'7" body......graceful, athletic with a killer's instinct....I'm sorry CD missed seeing her and I hope she will get the chance to watch this kid play in the future because somebody is going to get an exceptional player...

Thanks for the report. I was very much planning to head down to Holmdel (a 45-minute drive) until Sunday morning when for the first time in I don't know how many years, my wife came down with a sore throat and major fever. Given that we are now empty nesters, I am the only fellow caretaker, so that trip and viewing will be pushed back.

When I saw Rutgers Prep last year in TOC, the player that caught my attention was Knight, who was engaged in a face-guarding track meet with Michelle Sidor, making her work for a breath of fresh air. So the news on Correa is interesting.

Question for you: how was Mullaney, who is only a sophomore, like Masonius?

So, instead of high school ball, I watched ND hold off UVA. Virginia has held opponents to 52 ppg,but that means nothing to the Irish when Ogunbowle and Mabrey are feeling it and they were in the first half. Both went for 20+ in this game. But ND has trouble with defense (Young and Ogunbowale this time) and it was tight. Interesting New Jersey note: Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange and Newark Prep) acquitted herself well. Played mostly from 15 feet in, but is savvy and strong. Good player.

Completely irrelevant fashion note: Both Mabrey sisters (Marina at ND, Dara at Manasquan High) have coaches that squat on pumps/wedges for long periods of time. I get Lisa Kukoda doing that...she's young. But
Muffet is my age (60+)....

Here's a look in this photo collage in nj.com
No. 4 Rutgers Prep hands No. 1 Manasquan 1st loss, extends winning streak to 16

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report. I was very much planning to head down to Holmdel (a 45-minute drive) until Sunday morning when for the first time in I don't know how many years, my wife came down with a sore throat and major fever. Given that we are now empty nesters, I am the only fellow caretaker, so that trip and viewing will be pushed back.

When I saw Rutgers Prep last year in TOC, the player that caught my attention was Knight, who was engaged in a face-guarding track meet with Michelle Sidor, making her work for a breath of fresh air. So the news on Correa is interesting.

Question for you: how was Mullaney, who is only a sophomore, like Masonius?

Sorry to hear about your wife...............interesting that you mentioned Knight........she blew right by the entire Squan defense on several early drives but then hurt her knee in a collision and did no return after the first quarter which only makes RPs' win that much more impressive......Mullaney had several beautiful leaning jumpers but was quiet for much of the game......I believe Mabrey led the scoring but she did not have a good game...........Clark missed shots including layups and also made some uncharacteristic turnovers....Masonius was her usual self but still needs to be much more aggressive...........the other real star was the RP post player Gabrielle Redden who was dominant on the inside and showed real quickness despite being on the "bigger" side......I believe she is going to Marist next year.....and yes Kukoda likes those high heels and manages the coaches' squat without loosing her balance.........there were a number of coaches sitting in my area from smaller DI schools typing feverishly into their laptops...................CD was directly across from me and was remarkable talkative to anybody who climbed the bleacher stairs to speak with her...................

No. 4 Rutgers Prep hands No. 1 Manasquan 1st loss, extends winning streak to 16[/QUOTE]

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your wife.....interesting that you mentioned Knight...she blew right by the entire Squan defense on several early drives but then hurt her knee in a collision and did no return after the first quarter which only makes RPs' win that much more impressive.Mullaney had several beautiful leaning jumpers but was quiet for much of the game.I believe Mabrey led the scoring but she did not have a good game......Clark missed shots including layups and also made some uncharacteristic turnovers....Masonius was her usual self but still needs to be much more aggressive......the other real star was the RP post player Gabrielle Redden who was dominant on the inside and showed real quickness despite being on the "bigger" side.I believe she is going to Marist next year.....and yes Kukoda likes those high heels and manages the coaches' squat without loosing her balance....there were a number of coaches sitting in my area from smaller DI schools typing feverishly into their laptops....CD was directly across from me and was remarkable talkative to anybody who climbed the bleacher stairs to speak with her....

[/QUOTE]

Who knows....maybe 'squan was ripe for a let-down after the Red Bank Catholic game, which went down to the buzzer and Rutgers Prep is not the team to have it against. I remember that speed and quickness (both moving forward and up) against Sidor and Upper Saddle River Day.

So, I watched a lot of ESPNu yesterday and that was not bad.
- I sometimes forget that Mabrey2 and Ogunbowale are only sophomores (given how much PT they got as frosh). Still need to work on consistency, but they're both getting there. Mabrey is playing a lot of minutes for ND now, which is both good and bad (her outside shot wears down a bit in the 2nd half).
- Good to see Sydney Wiese. Not a traditionally athletic kid in the smooth department, but boy can she stick the jumper. OSU is even tougher this year!
- Ionescu is silky smooth but thought she kept it in gear against OSU. Gabby Hanson may have had something to do with that. Good defender.
- Oregon is going to be good...tons of young kids on that team and Graves has them playing. Just let Ionescu let 'er rip from time to time.

Thanks for the update. I'll probably start hitting the road hard during county and state tourneys.

Reaction Score

Who knows....maybe 'squan was ripe for a let-down after the Red Bank Catholic game, which went down to the buzzer and Rutgers Prep is not the team to have it against. I remember that speed and quickness (both moving forward and up) against Sidor and Upper Saddle River Day.

Thanks for the update. I'll probably start hitting the road hard during county and state tourneys.[/QUOTE]

Other then Faith and Victoria Galvin, Manasquan is quite limited in terms of height and rebounding strength.............Rutgers Prep was definitely the stronger and more physical team........BTW three of the games were broadcast yesterday over the net and I think they will keep running them for a while............not sure of the station but I'm sure you can Google it

Reaction Score
Video of the Manasquan- Rutgers Prep and Rumson FairHaven LI Lutheran games can be seen here: Live Schedule - News 12 Varsity

A very good Albertus Magnus team will face Andra Espinosa Hunter and her Ossining High School team tomorrow ....it can be seen on Tuesday live at the same address.........

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I didn't see Stewart in high school but I assume she was more advanced at this point...Watson has had some great games already this season but some pretty average ones too...she is a work in progress but her talent is undeniable.

Watson had 24 points, 13 boards, and 2 blocks to help Mainland come back in the 4th yesterday. Think she'll be on UConn's radar soon if she isn't already.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Thanks for the update. I'll probably start hitting the road hard during county and state tourneys.

Other then Faith and Victoria Galvin, Manasquan is quite limited in terms of height and rebounding strength...Rutgers Prep was definitely the stronger and more physical team...BTW three of the games were broadcast yesterday over the net and I think they will keep running them for a while..not sure of the station but I'm sure you can Google it[/QUOTE]

Thanks....I'll keep an eye. on that. When I saw Manasquan last year, I was struck that their achilles heel was that they were -- well, average -- in terms of height. (And they didn't have Galvin last year!). Their technical skills are stellar and they play hard and with heart. If Dara and Faith get it going, they're always in a game....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sam Brunelle update from a 1/24 game:

Brunelle had 27 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 blocks in less than 3 quarters on the 24th of January.

Reaction Score
I didn't see Stewart in high school but I assume she was more advanced at this point...Watson has had some great games already this season but some pretty average ones too...she is a work in progress but her talent is undeniable.....I hate to sound "sexist" but it doesn't hurt that she has the looks and personality to be a Disney Channel star

I had to hold back and not post this: A disney star?? That's not nice--which one--mickey mouse or donald duck---but I'm too
nice not to jump at the opportunity.

Reaction Score
I had to hold back and not post this: A disney star?? That's not nice--which one--mickey mouse or donald duck---but I'm too

You've got a point there....................I guess I should have said a Disney teenage sitcom star.............my daughter said "how can she be so cute but still want to take my head off when I drive down the lane?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You've got a point there.....I guess I should have said a Disney teenage sitcom star...my daughter said "how can she be so cute but still want to take my head off when I drive down the lane?

No No No. Let AEH explain Disney Channel Star to you.

Reaction Score
You've got a point there.....I guess I should have said a Disney teenage sitcom star...my daughter said "how can she be so cute but still want to take my head off when I drive down the lane?
I was attempting to be funny--cute is good --especially if she plays for Uconn. I wasn't trying to make any kind of point --Nothing you posted could be called sexist--- Thanks for your kind reply.

Reaction Score
HS Girls Basketball: William Monroe beats Madison 49-19. Sam Brunelle had 31 points. 23 in the 2nd half. Highlights on NBC29 news at 11.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom