2018 Recruiting | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

Reaction Score
Prospect nation has an update and Williams has moved down to four. I’m a fan of DeCosta but I’m not seeing her or Smith being better then Williams.

2018 Ranked Players | Prospects Nation
I think they might have been influenced by their showing in the World 3x3's. They were both on the team and DeCosta easily took the MVP award. Also even though Williams is a guard it was DeCosta who represented the USA team in the skills challenge. She took 3rd in that event going against some really quick and skilled guards. DeCosta has been working on and has greatly improved her 3pt shooting. She also was dominant this summer in EYBL. These rankings usually fluctuate based on the players most recent showings so it was not that surprising that DeCosta jumped Williams. The player I could see really dropping based on their showing at the 3x3's was Littleton. There were some really quick guards that the US team had trouble staying with defensively especially the guards from Japan.

Reaction Score
But apparently the experts at PN do. I'm going with that...

So ESPN and Blue star doesn’t matter to you? I’ve said DeCosta could be a special player, but I just don’t see her as a big time scorer at the college level, care to pull up her USA B stats?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But apparently the experts at PN do. I'm going with that since they probably watch the players a lot more than any of us.
So ESPN and Blue star doesn’t matter to you? I’ve said DeCosta could be a special player, but I just don’t see her as a big time scorer at the college level, care to pull up her USA B stats?

It is always a mistake to rely on any single poll. Madison Williams #8 in PN & #77 in ESPN and three inches shorter also. Sidney Cooks 2017 MSU had a similar disparity last year #5 in ESPN and #69 in PN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

When were ESPN and Blue Star last updated?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I found the conference analysis interesting:

The Big 12 is rolling this recruiting class. With rougly a month before the early signing period, schools from the Big 12 have three of the top five classes nationally and seven of the top 30. Baylor, Texas and Oklahoma are ranked 1, 2 and 5, respectively.

The Pac-12 has surged to national prominence in the last five years and judging by the continued recruiting success of the league’s programs that trend is here to stay a bit longer. While the league has familiar faces recruiting well but newcomer Arizona has the nation’s No. 4 recruiting class, the highest ranked in the Pac-12 to date. With Stanford and USC, the Pac-12 has three of the top 10 ranked recruiting classes and eight of the 12 schools are ranked in the top 30.

The ACC has no classes ranked in the top 5 currently but has six ranked in the top 30 currently. Georgia Tech has the league’s highest rated class at No. 6.

The SEC is tied with the Big 12 with seven ranked recruiting classes and Tennessee currently claims the best in the conference with the No. 3 ranked class.

The Big Ten has some solid recruiting classes being built but only Maryland and Michigan have classes ranked in the top 30 so far.​

Plebe: I took a look at that, as well, and noted ND's class was pretty far down the list and wondered why....and saw that relatively recent commit Jordan Nixon had not been included in the ND class.
She's subsequently been factored into the ND class and and the rankings have been revised, with ND moving up to #5 and Ga. Tech not far behind. I'll be interested to see if Syracuse is rated, with Engstler committing and having another solid year of international recruiting. (Int'l recruits and ranking could be a thread/post in it's own right...)

Of course, there's still some shifting to be expected with the later, pre- early-decision commits coming in and the Williams and O N-O decisions will factor in.

Here's a link to the revised rankings: Class Rankings -- 2018 -- October 2017 | Prospects Nation

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Damn! Ok, I got to admit, I wish UCONN had though of this-or maybe they did.

"Nelson-Ododa said all the schools have impressed her so far, but one part of one visit stands out.
During her trip to South Carolina's campus, she got to sit in on two knee surgeries.
"The doctor talked me through the operations as they were happening," she said."

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Damn! Ok, I got to admit, I wish UCONN had though of this-or maybe they did.

"Nelson-Ododa said all the schools have impressed her so far, but one part of one visit stands out.
During her trip to South Carolina's campus, she got to sit in on two knee surgeries.
"The doctor talked me through the operations as they were happening," she said."

I was pretty impressed by this and I don’t have medical aspirations... I know Olivia had to love it. Sounds really cool.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
'it's fine as long as they don't repeat it in 2019 and 2020
Now this just may be my bad opinion. It just seems that wings and guards are more adventurous and willing to take chances. Big's need to be babied and want to stay close to home. Now, I'm not directly relating this to every individual cases. Players like Collier and Cox clearly had very good reasons to stay in state. But these seems generally to be the case.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Now this just may be my bad opinion. It just seems that wings are more adventurous and willing to take chances. Big's need to be babied and want to stay close to home. Now, I'm not directly relating this to every individual cases. Players like Collier and Cox clearly had very good reasons to stay in state. But these seems generally to be the case.
Interesting point. Got me to thinking about UConn’s Bigs through the years. Stewie, Steph, Tina, Rebecca, Kara and others were all from the Northeast. Kiah Stokes, from Iowa, is the only Big who I can think of, off the top of my head, that made the pilgrimage to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Now this just may be my bad opinion. It just seems that wings are more adventurous and willing to take chances. Big's need to be babied and want to stay close to home. Now, I'm not directly relating this to every individual cases. Players like Collier and Cox clearly had very good reasons to stay in state. But these seems generally to be the case.

more likely it's the plain fact that most of the big's are from either Texas or the Southeast US and the majority of those kids just stay close to home..........the Texas schools have had a great geographic advantage in the past few years..........hopefully more high school talent will come from the the Middle Atlantic and Northeast in the future

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
From my UConn point of view it'll be sad to lose ONO because SC allowed her into the operating theater. Maybe if she visits Stanford she should be allowed to sit in on a thought experiment done by the cosmology department.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that ONO dropped Stanford from her list. I was worried that the academic reputation of Stanford might be too difficult to pass up for a young lady who clearly has both academic as well as athletic goals.

With Stanford out of the way, I think it once again comes down to heading to a school where she can win multiple national championships and become the best player she can possibly be, or staying close to home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom