2018 Recruiting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

Reaction Score
On Texas not winning championships - I think it is a little early to call that. It takes time to build a program. I think Aston has had good post season success with the talent she has had. People further away from the program are less likely to be aware of or to remember factors that may have slowed progress. It is easy from the outside to say Texas did not develop Imani, for example. Imani is Imani. Even UConn has had a few players who did not develop as expected. Imani had both emotional and physical issues to slow her down. Most summers she was either unable to practice or limited by physical injuries. Do people remember she had a rod put in her leg? Perhaps, most important, Imani has had very positive things to say on how her experience at Texas changed her and her life in a positive way. On the other side of the ledger, when Texas made its first sweet sixteen under Karen, two starters were ranked three-star out of high school. Kelsey Lang was not a top 100 player. Empress Davenport was ranked about number 75.
Yep, the team that got beat by UCONN in the Elite 8 had two starters that were not highly touted. Celina Rodrigo, Empress Davenport, and Kelsey Lang as a backup.Also keep in mind another player who wasn’t highly touted but ended up having a solid college career was the defensive player of the year in the conference last year Bre Taylor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Charde Houston? If she had gone to another school, what would UConn fans have said about her play? Would some have believed Geno could have changed her?
I am sure "some" UCONN fans would say Geno could have changed her because "some" say Geno is a God and actually believe that.
I would say that if Charde Houston is the low water mark of Geno's coaching success then maybe Geno really is a God. :D

Kiah Stokes? A game changer on defense, she never became the offensive player Geno wanted or needed.
Huh, a game changer on Defense?:eek: So did Kiah Stokes come to UCONN as a defensive "game changer" or was that something she developed into while at UCONN? 3 of the 4 years Kiah was in a UCONN uniform UCONN led the nation in offensive efficiency. I not sure Geno "needed" Kiah to become more offensive. But it was a darn good thing Geno had Kiah to change some games defensively. :cool:

Geno has taken a flyer on a number of posts over the years who failed to become anything special (in contrast to Dolson.) Perhaps that is part of the reason Geno has moved further and further away from position basketball. He seems to be comfortable with one true point guard and ideally one true post (but he has shown he can and will do without one), and a number of 6 footish versatile players.
IMO this concept of positionless basketball is waaaay overstated. Geno develops basketball players. If he has a preference it is for versatility or the ability of his player to play more than one position. What separates Geno form perhaps all the other coaches out there is the insistence that his players develop on both sides of the ball. Most other coach would be happy to have Moriah Jeffeson just be a traditional AA PG. Geno got traditional AA PG play from Moriah and also developed her into the NDPOY.

Reaction Score
Question.............I have read that many think Williams is going to U of Texas. But...........if they don't have anymore scholarships to offer, how is that possible?

Do they take an offer away from someone?
Ask someone to redshirt?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How about the young lady from California who ironically almost chose Texas Miss Houston.
You’re good!
Not really. Charde was an obvious, often repeated, less than stellar UCONN perceived under achiever. Good would have been pointing out Ann Strother. For where both were ranked in the classes, greatness or definitely better numbers were expected. However, if those are the low water marks of UCONN under achieving then UCONN must be doing alright becuase both players averaged double digits in points over a 4 year career.

Reaction Score
Not really. Charde was an obvious, often repeated, less than stellar UCONN perceived under achiever. Good would have been pointing out Ann Strother. For where both were ranked in the classes, greatness or definitely better numbers were expected. However, if those are the low water marks of UCONN under achieving then UCONN must be doing alright becuase both players averaged double digits in points over a 4 year career.
I like that he pointed out Stokes because her and Imani were very similar in college. Really good shot blockers/rim protectors but lacked consistent offensive ability.

Reaction Score
I am sure "some" UCONN fans would say Geno could have changed her because "some" say Geno is a God and actually believe that.
I would say that if Charde Houston is the low water mark of Geno's coaching success then maybe Geno really is a God. :D

Huh, a game changer on Defense?:eek: So did Kiah Stokes come to UCONN as a defensive "game changer" or was that something she developed into while at UCONN? 3 of the 4 years Kiah was in a UCONN uniform UCONN led the nation in offensive efficiency. I not sure Geno "needed" Kiah to become more offensive. But it was a darn good thing Geno had Kiah to change some games defensively. :cool:

IMO this concept of positionless basketball is waaaay overstated. Geno develops basketball players. If he has a preference it is for versatility or the ability of his player to play more than one position. What separates Geno form perhaps all the other coaches out there is the insistence that his players develop on both sides of the ball. Most other coach would be happy to have Moriah Jeffeson just be a traditional AA PG. Geno got traditional AA PG play from Moriah and also developed her into the NDPOY.
I’ve always viewed it the exact opposite. IMO the difference between Geno and the majority of women’s basketball coaches is on the offensive end. While Pat Summitt always seemed to recruit great athletes, it always seemed like Geno would recruit the player with a little less athletic ability but much more of an offensive skill set. Then he does a great job of running a system offensively that fits that great offensive skill set.

Most women’s basketball coaches come from the old school Pat Summitt focusing more on out working teams with their athleticism by playing great defense and rebounding. Also, I think that Moriah would have been a great defender no matter where she went. But selfishly even though Moriah was obviously a great player in UCONN’S system, I would have loved to have seen her play in a dribble drive offense. Just imagine how much more exciting she would have been if she was playing in the same dribble drive offense as Kelsey Plum and Kelsey Mitchell.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Rumored potential UConn target Ezi Magbegor had 12 points and 8 rebounds in 20 minutes during her WNBL debut in Australia.

Eziyoda Magbegor showed maturity beyond her years from the moment she was injected into the contest, handling the physicality with ease ...

"[Magbegor] is a phenomenal player, she's great now but she's going to get even better with this experience, playing against women," Goriss said.

"Words don't describe for an 18-year-old coming in and doing what she does. She's aggressive, she's assertive, she makes things happen. I'm just glad she's on our team."

WNBL: Abigail Wehrung inspires Canberra Capitals to victory over Bendigo Spirit

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rumored potential UConn target Ezi Magbegor had 12 points and 8 rebounds in 20 minutes during her WNBL debut in Australia.

Eziyoda Magbegor showed maturity beyond her years from the moment she was injected into the contest, handling the physicality with ease ...

"[Magbegor] is a phenomenal player, she's great now but she's going to get even better with this experience, playing against women," Goriss said.

"Words don't describe for an 18-year-old coming in and doing what she does. She's aggressive, she's assertive, she makes things happen. I'm just glad she's on our team."

Thanks! So that’s where Mistie Bass is. She had a baby and is playing in Australia.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’ve always viewed it the exact opposite. IMO the difference between Geno and the majority of women’s basketball coaches is on the offensive end. While Pat Summitt always seemed to recruit great athletes, it always seemed like Geno would recruit the player with a little less athletic ability but much more of an offensive skill set. Then he does a great job of running a system offensively that fits that great offensive skill set.

Most women’s basketball coaches come from the old school Pat Summitt focusing more on out working teams with their athleticism by playing great defense and rebounding. Also, I think that Moriah would have been a great defender no matter where she went. But selfishly even though Moriah was obviously a great player in UCONN’S system, I would have loved to have seen her play in a dribble drive offense. Just imagine how much more exciting she would have been if she was playing in the same dribble drive offense as Kelsey Plum and Kelsey Mitchell.

For me. it's hard to interpret what Tennessee was doing under Pat as a system. She would simply overwhelm teams with athleticism and effort

Here at UConn, System is crucial and for me can be summed up as "Passing and movement over Isolation Dribbling, Team over Individual". That is the UConn system and I hope it never changes (although it probably will once Geno and CD retire ).

Reaction Score

Is the WNBL a pro league? not sure if Ezi would be NCAA eligible.

Reaction Score

good to know but we have zero concrete evidence that UConn is involved with her in any way..............I wish that one of the recruiting services would find out if she actually has any interest in coming to the USA to play college ball

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi is an unpaid amateur in a pro league. My sources say she has retained her amateur status and is weighing a college education and hoops in the U.S.A.

My sources also say that UConn has taken a look. I don’t know the level of involvement. Geno saw her play in Italy this summer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
good to know but we have zero concrete evidence that UConn is involved with her in any way....I wish that one of the recruiting services would find out if she actually has any interest in coming to the USA to play college ball

Keil Moore is a pretty good source, and if he says look for UConn to get involved with her I pay attention. Is it a lock-down report verifying UConn is after her? No, but it's enough to follow her progress for the time being, imo.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Right now my biggest desire is that Uconn can get her to commit and the loss of Collier I believe will be forgotten. Her ceiling may be higher than Collier's and Collier's is very high. (although her ceiling may not be as high as it would have been had she come to Uconn)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi has more than the usual number of things to consider regarding possibly playing WCBB. Most Americans have been recruited for 2-5 years. I think Ezi is new to the process. I wouldn’t expect any positive announcement for quite some time. We need to keep our ears and eyes open and be patient. She seems to be worth the wait.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Suffer? Awful? I thought that last year was among the most entertaining seasons in history. Great offense. Great defense. Many memorable highlight plays.

I hope that was intended as a form of sarcasm.
I'm glad someone responded this way. Of all the quality competition UConn faced throughout the season, only one opponent found a way to exploit its height advantage and make UConn look "small." But that doesn't spoil all that the team accomplished, exceeding all sane expectations along the way, and all the enjoyment I got out of watching them.

If Charli Collier decided upon further reflection that Texas was a better fit for her, then that's where she's meant to be. Things like this happen to all programs, even the best ones: transfers, decommits, injuries, etc. It's ultimately about how the coaching staff and other players respond to these twists and turns.

Reaction Score
I'm glad someone responded this way. Of all the quality competition UConn faced throughout the season, only one opponent found a way to exploit its height advantage and make UConn look "small." But that doesn't spoil all that the team accomplished, exceeding all sane expectations along the way, and all the enjoyment I got out of watching them.

If Charli Collier decided upon further reflection that Texas was a better fit for her, then that's where she's meant to be. Things like this happen to all programs, even the best ones: transfers, decommits, injuries, etc. It's ultimately about how the coaching staff and other players respond to these twists and turns.

last year was thrilling but I absolutely suffered every time one of the starters took a fall..............that short bench not only made the players tired, it made me tired just watching them log all those minutes..........this year will be different as expectations are far greater but with the manpower to match........

Plebe

Reaction Score
Charde Houston? If she had gone to another school, what would UConn fans have said about her play? Would some have believed Geno could have changed her?
Kiah Stokes? A game changer on defense, she never became the offensive player Geno wanted or needed.
Geno has taken a flyer on a number of posts over the years who failed to become anything special (in contrast to Dolson.) Perhaps that is part of the reason Geno has moved further and further away from position basketball. He seems to be comfortable with one true point guard and ideally one true post (but he has shown he can and will do without one), and a number of 6 footish versatile players.

Along these lines, we should remember that the team some still regard as the greatest ever, that of Bird-Taurasi-Cash-Jones-Williams, was somewhat revolutionary in how the two "guards" and three "forwards" were highly interchangeable, and the forwards in particular did not fit at all into a 3-4-5 lineup.

Reaction Score
What About UConn?
Fair or not, the expectation for the Huskies is to sign a national title contending class every year. Not since Jacki Gemelos in the 2006 class have the Huskies received a commitment from the top player at her position and then lost that commitment before signing. That year Geno Auriemma and his staff found little sympathy as the program did sign Tina Charles and won two national titles with her class.

Countdown To Early Signing | Prospects Nation

Plebe

Reaction Score
I found the conference analysis interesting:

The Big 12 is rolling this recruiting class. With rougly a month before the early signing period, schools from the Big 12 have three of the top five classes nationally and seven of the top 30. Baylor, Texas and Oklahoma are ranked 1, 2 and 5, respectively.

The Pac-12 has surged to national prominence in the last five years and judging by the continued recruiting success of the league’s programs that trend is here to stay a bit longer. While the league has familiar faces recruiting well but newcomer Arizona has the nation’s No. 4 recruiting class, the highest ranked in the Pac-12 to date. With Stanford and USC, the Pac-12 has three of the top 10 ranked recruiting classes and eight of the 12 schools are ranked in the top 30.

The ACC has no classes ranked in the top 5 currently but has six ranked in the top 30 currently. Georgia Tech has the league’s highest rated class at No. 6.

The SEC is tied with the Big 12 with seven ranked recruiting classes and Tennessee currently claims the best in the conference with the No. 3 ranked class.

The Big Ten has some solid recruiting classes being built but only Maryland and Michigan have classes ranked in the top 30 so far.​

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom