2018 Recruiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Rellah is very Quotable.

"I'm going to show you," Boothe said. "I'm going to average 45 points a game this season."
A lot of people are underestimating me," said Boothe, the top forward in the class. "Me being No. 3 is very false. I feel very disrespected. I'm not bragging or boasting. I just have confidence."
"It may take a year or two to win a national championship. But I guarantee you that before I graduate, I will win championships with an 'S' at the end."

No. 3 recruit Boothe commits to Longhorns

Fake news...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Until recently, Texas has been in Baylor's rear view mirror, but slowly gaining on them. This might be the year they catch and pass the Lady Bears. If not his year, definitely next year. The games between those two for the next several years should be "must see" if you're a real WCBB fan. One must realize that they are playing for bragging rights and state wide supremacy when they meet. They are the two largest WCBB teams in Texas (sorry Texas A&M). Both coaches would love to get the other one in a half nelson, and squeeze until the other one taps out. :D

UT will have a much better chance in 2018 when they bring in more height to deal with Brown. But by Brown's senior year I am not sure who is going to keep her out of the paint. I would like to see how the 2018 recruiting class shakes out before I put any money on Texas winning the Big 12. But, they are sure amassing a great amount of talent and should make a serious run at a NC if they can get all that talent to mesh.

Reaction Score
Rellah was very good in the McDonald's game, when she hit a bunch of threes. She was not so good in the Jordan Brand game, when she missed a bunch of threes. She’s big and strong, but could be in much better shape. Joyner Holmes looks like LeBron. Rellah looks like Barkley.

Holmes was also out of shape when she got to Texas but seemed much better as the season progressed

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rellah's bravado and all these wise cracks is really overlooking the potential log jam at Texas. Among the 5 committed Texas players ( White, Holmes, Collier, Prince & Boothe) none have the ability to play on the perimeter except possibly Holmes. So even if Texas goes with two post player that means at least 3 quality post playing in a backup role. That didn't work out too well for Baylor, don't think it will work out well for Texas either. @easttexastrash is also suggesting that Queen Egbo 2018 is also leaning towards Texas. Seriously hoping that Prince sees the writing on the wall and reconsiders. Prince would work out well for UCONN.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Rellah's bravado and all these wise cracks is really overlooking the potential log jam at Texas. Among the 5 committed Texas players ( White, Holmes, Collier, Prince & Boothe) none have the ability to play on the perimeter except possibly Holmes. So even if Texas goes with two post player that means at least 3 quality post playing in a backup role. That didn't work out too well for Baylor, don't think it will work out well for Texas either. @easttexastrash is also suggesting that Queen Egbo 2018 is also leaning towards Texas. Seriously hoping that Prince sees the writing on the wall and reconsiders. Prince would work out well for UCONN.
Not gonna happen.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Rellah's bravado and all these wise cracks is really overlooking the potential log jam at Texas. Among the 5 committed Texas players ( White, Holmes, Collier, Prince & Boothe) none have the ability to play on the perimeter except possibly Holmes.

Pretty sure Boothe would tell you she can play on the perimeter. Holmes really wants to as well.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
UT will have a much better chance in 2018 when they bring in more height to deal with Brown. But by Brown's senior year I am not sure who is going to keep her out of the paint. I would like to see how the 2018 recruiting class shakes out before I put any money on Texas winning the Big 12. But, they are sure amassing a great amount of talent and should make a serious run at a NC if they can get all that talent to mesh.
Baylor has no one to back up Kalani Brown at Center this season, unless the plan is to use Lauren Cox as the back up; no way she can play all 40 minutes without needing rest on the bench. Texas will have plenty of bodies to throw at her to hopefully get her into foul trouble and off the court. Last season, Cox couldn't go long stretches without fouling or also needing a breather. Very interested to see the starters and substitutions down low for Baylor

Baylor's biggest weakness is depth, especially in the front court, with a roster of 10 players, 4 of whom are true freshmen. Perhaps Baylor will slow down their offense and be more of a half-court team.

Assuming Joyner returns in December and is ready to go, and assuming no injuries, I think this is the season Texas dethrones Baylor in the Big 12.

For 2018-19, Baylor needs to gain some more commitments/signees who will add depth to their roster; Texas is not letting up on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Texas is not letting up on the recruiting trail.
Two Questions:
How is Texas out there recruiting without any scholarships?
Have you been reading about what's happening at Louisville lately? :eek:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I said I was hoping.
I know. Honestly, Sedona Prince is a true Center, and that is where she will play in college. Jatarie White will be a senior when Prince arrives on campus.

From what I've read, Charli Collier will play at power forward, and perhaps get some minutes at Center depending on the player combinations. She might already be a better perimeter shooter than Joyner Holmes.

Joyner Holmes and Rellah Boothe, if it were up to them, want to play mostly on the perimeter (as A'ja Wilson did once upon a time). Boothe has the better perimeter shot and 3-point shot, but I see her as a stretch four; she has the physique to bang down low, so will be interesting to see how she is used this season, especially in Joyner's absence through December.

Joyner has great speed for someone her size; a very strong player, she will really need to improve her perimeter shot if she really has thoughts of playing SF in the professional ranks.

Guess I just see each of those 4 players having different skill sets and physiques; they aren't clones of each other, that's for sure.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Two Questions:
How is Texas out there recruiting without any scholarships?
Have you been reading about what's happening at Louisville lately? :eek:
Not really paying too close attention to what is going on at Louisville. Men's hoops recruiting has always been dirty; figured it was never going to change as no one really ever go penalized.

Recruiting is all about planning for the future and projecting needs. Texas is not recruiting "without any scholarships". While it always appeared that we would sign a class of 4 players for 2018, things apparently have changed. We have two redshirt juniors in Khaleann Caron-Goudreau (whose twin sister is a true senior this season) and Jatarie White; I have no inside information, but my gut has been telling me for a while that Khaleann, who has had fair share of injuries at Vanderbilt and then at Texas, might want to move on when her sister does.

I doubt Texas is bringing in Christyn Williams for a visit if there is not an opening for her; Williams wouldn't bother with the visit if that were the case.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You cant have players who cant handle the ball playing outside unless they are wide open and that doesnt happen often. You can have all the height you want. You can stockpile all the height you want however if you dont have ball handlers with quick feet your gonna have problems. How do teams with less talent beat teams with a bunch of talent? Ballhandlers who can handle the ball to get open and create shots for themselves and their team mates. Texas roster has alot of talented players and we've seen that before from other teams. Talent doesnt win NCs teams do. UConn put on a terrific show last season without a starter in the middle over 6'3 except Butler off the bench.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Not gonna happen.

Coco, Soutie: Been reading this trail and your give-and-takes and I'm wondering: did Ms. Prince/UConn ever have a mutual interest in one another? I just remember Sedona Prince committing so early that I virtually forgot about her on the 2018 recruiting scene. (Although now that the first coffee is kicking in, maybe ND had an interest, too?) She does seem to be all-in.

On the other hand, while Southie stresses their differences and/or complementary skill sets, I still think that's a lot of current and incoming bigs...and still only one court and ball. Will be interesting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, Soutie: Been reading this trail and your give-and-takes and I'm wondering: did Ms. Prince/UConn ever have a mutual interest in one another? I just remember Sedona Prince committing so early that I virtually forgot about her on the 2018 recruiting scene. (Although now that the first coffee is kicking in, maybe ND had an interest, too?) She does seem to be all-in.
On the other hand, while Southie stresses their differences and/or complementary skill sets, I still think that's a lot of current and incoming bigs...and still only one court and ball. Will be interesting.
According to this article from September of 2016;
"Prince called coaches from Notre Dame, Connecticut, Oregon State and TCU to tell them of her decision to be a Longhorn. UConn coach Geno Auriemma paid a visit to Prince's home in Liberty Hill earlier this week."
Texas women's basketball gets verbal from 6-7 Liberty Hill post | HookemPlus.com

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Sedona Prince isn't Breanna Stewart but she can burn you from the perimeter if you're lackadaisical out there. Collier has a better than average shot for a post player as well. That said, I don't think of either as a high post or perimeter player.. Boothe is streaky out there but if she gets hot she can rain threes on you.

But yeah, I don't see any of them playing on the perimeter like a Stewart.. but I can see Boothe or maybe Prince in some pick and roll/pick and pop action from out there..

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
According to this article from September of 2016;
"Prince called coaches from Notre Dame, Connecticut, Oregon State and TCU to tell them of her decision to be a Longhorn. UConn coach Geno Auriemma paid a visit to Prince's home in Liberty Hill earlier this week."
Texas women's basketball gets verbal from 6-7 Liberty Hill post | HookemPlus.com

Thanks much. Seems like longer that she (re)committed to Texas, but that may be it -- she committed, de-committed and opened up the search, then re-committed. Hopefully, the understanding and respect is mutual for all concerned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sedona Prince isn't Breanna Stewart but she can burn you from the perimeter if you're lackadaisical out there. Collier has a better than average shot for a post player as well. That said, I don't think of either as a high post or perimeter player.. Boothe is streaky out there but if she gets hot she can rain threes on you. But yeah, I don't see any of them playing on the perimeter like a Stewart.. but I can see Boothe or maybe Prince in some pick and roll/pick and pop action from out there..
If I am doing the scouting report for playing against Texas, I am giving ALL 5 of those players as many perimeter shots as they can get up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I am doing the scouting report for playing against Texas, I am giving ALL 5 of those players as many perimeter shots as they can get up.

I see Joyner Holmes as the one closest to having the ball-handling, quickness, and agility to play on the wing, perhaps as what you used to be called a small forward. But, she lacks the shooting touch from outside. Maybe she is working on that during her "time-out" this semester. My hopes for Texas against UConn would be higher if Joyner were going to be practicing and playing with the team this fall.

Reaction Score
On Texas not winning championships - I think it is a little early to call that. It takes time to build a program. I think Aston has had good post season success with the talent she has had. People further away from the program are less likely to be aware of or to remember factors that may have slowed progress. It is easy from the outside to say Texas did not develop Imani, for example. Imani is Imani. Even UConn has had a few players who did not develop as expected. Imani had both emotional and physical issues to slow her down. Most summers she was either unable to practice or limited by physical injuries. Do people remember she had a rod put in her leg? Perhaps, most important, Imani has had very positive things to say on how her experience at Texas changed her and her life in a positive way. On the other side of the ledger, when Texas made its first sweet sixteen under Karen, two starters were ranked three-star out of high school. Kelsey Lang was not a top 100 player. Empress Davenport was ranked about number 75.

Reaction Score
On recruiting. Recruiting is way too complicated for me. What do I know? Not much. I do not coach. I do not have children who play or played sports. Maybe Texas has red-shirt juniors who have already told Karen they do not want to use their fifth year. Maybe some players commit with full knowledge that they are unlikely to play much in actual games. In addition, I see how schools such as Baylor, Oklahoma, and even UConn have gotten into perilous situations with smaller rosters. Injuries, late decommitments, and transfers can quickly turn a solid roster into a scarily thin roster.

Reaction Score
Like who?
Charde Houston? If she had gone to another school, what would UConn fans have said about her play? Would some have believed Geno could have changed her?
Kiah Stokes? A game changer on defense, she never became the offensive player Geno wanted or needed.
Geno has taken a flyer on a number of posts over the years who failed to become anything special (in contrast to Dolson.) Perhaps that is part of the reason Geno has moved further and further away from position basketball. He seems to be comfortable with one true point guard and ideally one true post (but he has shown he can and will do without one), and a number of 6 footish versatile players.

Reaction Score
Charde Houston? If she had gone to another school, what would UConn fans have said about her play? Would some have believed Geno could have changed her?
Kiah Stokes? A game changer on defense, she never became the offensive player Geno wanted or needed.
Geno has taken a flyer on a number of posts over the years who failed to become anything special (in contrast to Dolson.) Perhaps that is part of the reason Geno has moved further and further away from position basketball. He seems to be comfortable with one true point guard and ideally one true post (but he has shown he can and will do without one), and a number of 6 footish versatile players.
You’re good!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom