2017 UConn Opponent News/Notes/Info/Tidbits | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Opponent News/Notes/Info/Tidbits

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Thought it'd be worth it to compile news and notes throughout the spring/summer regarding our 2017 opponents into one thread.

I didn't realize Tulsa had this good of an offensive line. I think they're my sleeper to win not just the West but the conference as well:

Reaction Score
Actually it looks like they recruited the position pretty well and they have experienced guys so yeah they're going to be tough.

Drew

Reaction Score
Defense looks ready in University of Cincinnati's spring game

Two things stood out as the Black team beat the Red 22-6 in the annual University of Cincinnati spring football game at Nippert Stadium on Friday night.

First, the defense clearly is ahead of the offense right now.

Second, the fans are back. After a 4-8 season and growing discontent with then-coach Tommy Tuberville, a crowd estimated at 7,000-plus attended Friday on a warm spring night. Many observers could not recall UC having a larger crowd for a spring game.

“It lets you know that even though we did have a bad season last year, we still have a lot of fans that believe in us and that believe in coach (Luke) Fickell and what he’s doing,” said junior cornerback Alex Thomas, who had two interceptions for the Black team

First-year UC coach Fickell praised the fans for their attendance and also noted his defense looked strong on both sides.

“We can be pretty good on defense,” Fickell said. “I know we can. It all starts up front.”

Fickell is a defensive guy so obviously they will improve there. If they get the offense up to speed Cincinnati could be very dangerous under Fickell.

Drew

Reaction Score
Ramadi Warren, TU running backs shine in spring game

During Saturday’s spring game in front of an estimated 2,300 fans at H.A. Chapman Stadium, Warren appeared back in 2015 form, averaging 6.3 yards per carry and scoring a touchdown as part of a running back corps that netted more than 300 yards.

“He’s a guy that when you put the ball in his hands, he can be really special,” Montgomery said of Warren. “I hope we get him back. He’s working tremendously hard.”

Each of the five scholarship backs received at least 10 carries, and four of them reached the end zone. Behind Warren and projected starter D’Angelo Brewer, the trio of Corey Taylor II, Javon Thomas and Rowdy Simon combined for 190 yards and three touchdowns.

“I think we’ve got a lot of different styles of runners right now,” Montgomery said. “Those guys keep plugging away and are challenging each other every day. I think that’s really what had that group growing at the pace they’re growing at.”

On an extremely windy day, the 138-play scrimmage featured somewhat uneven performances by the quarterbacks vying to replace Dane Evans. Luke Skipper had the most success throwing the ball, completing 16 of 24 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns.

Chad President, who shared reps with Skipper with the first-team offense, had 12 completions for 64 yards. Will Hefley III worked with the third-team offense and threw for 110 yards, including the longest play of the day, an 80-yard bomb to walk-on David Snelling.

“I think as they (the quarterbacks) got comfortable, we started moving the ball a little more fluidly,” Montgomery said. “You felt like they were in a rhythm and started seeing some things. We’ve got to do a better job in the pocket, but overall I was pleased with what they did this spring.”

Tulsa has to replace Dane Evans and the WR Lucas but their O should still be pretty fun to watch this year. The real question with them is going to be can they stop anyone on D? I'm really excited for our matchup with them as I think it'll be a real contrast of styles and their offense should be really fun to watch. Chad President is a former 4* QB that Montgomery brought with him from Baylor to TU but it sounds like there might not be a clear cut #1 guy for them right now.

Drew

Reaction Score
Despite tie, ECU shows progress in spring football game

Using an offense versus defense format with the first and second teams facing one another, the Pirates played to a 17-17 tie in their annual Purple-Gold scrimmage at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.

It was a game that featured big plays and missed opportunities on both sides of the ball. But in the eyes of coach Scottie Montgomery, execution was secondary to the improved grasp his players had on what they were doing compared to their first spring practice together a year ago.

“I really think that our team did just a completely different job of understanding our system throughout the spring,” Montgomery said, adding that his team still has a long way to go before being ready to open the 2017 season against defending FCS champion James Madison on Sept. 2. “The way that we go to class, the way that we work in the weight room, everything. I think the system is in place now and we’re headed in the right direction, definitely.”

As optimistic as Montgomery is about the progress of his team, he’s less committal about the progress of the competition for its starting quarterback job.

Semi-incumbent Gardner Minshew, who started last year’s season finale at Temple, had by far the best day Saturday of the three candidates currently in camp. He completed 21 of 36 passes for 265 and two touchdowns for the Purple team. But he was also intercepted once and admittedly missed several potential big plays on downfield throws.

Redshirt freshman Reid Herring was 13 of 17 for 138 yards and a score, but he and his Gold team converted only two of seven third down situations.

Early arriving freshman Kingsley Ifedi played sparingly, completing one of his two passes for just two yards while rushing four times for 16 yards.

Minshew entered the spring as Montgomery’s designated starter. But with graduate transfer Thomas Sirk scheduled to arrive from Duke this summer with immediate eligibility, Minshew understands that his job is anything but secure.

After reading this, I think we're in a very similar place to ECU coming out of the spring. They have a ton of uncertainty around their program right now and they were nowhere near 38 points better than us last year. Plus we are getting them at The Rent this year.

Drew

Reaction Score
Temple is.. getting after it

Drew

Reaction Score
SMU apparently has "The best receiver in college football". Kid is mocked as a high first rounder in almost every mock draft for this year:

Meet SMU's Courtland Sutton, the best receiver in college football

He could have been one of the top pass-catchers in the 2017 NFL draft, but SMU’s Courtland Sutton elected to return to the Mustangs for another season, surprising many fans and media analysts alike.

The 6-4, 215-pounder is coming off an impressive 2016 campaign, hauling in 76 receptions for 1,246 yards and 10 touchdowns, all career-highs.

Now considered one of the front-runners to be the first receiver picked in the 2018 draft, Sutton spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about why he came back to school, his high expectations for the Mustang offense, and so much more.

I really liked the answer to this question. Seems like a good kid.

JM: You were widely considered a potential Day 2 pick in the 2017 NFL draft. Most guys hear that and run towards the NFL, but not you. What made you decide to return for another year at SMU?

CS: Every time I answer this question, people don’t think that I’m answering truthfully. I came back for a few reasons. One, I get to graduate in December and I’m really proud of myself. My family backs me 100 percent on this decision. To be able to get my degree at SMU now and not have to worry about coming back to school once my football career is over is a blessing. I also get to come back and be apart of one of the best teams that we’ve had here in a really long time. I truly see us being a conference championship contender and I see us playing in a big bowl game this year. I want to help put SMU back on the map. We have an abundance of talent on this team.

I’m excited for this season and also for this personal achievement of mine, to be able to say that I have a degree from SMU. A lot of people may think I’m just saying that, but getting a degree is very important to me. Some people rather get their degree once their playing careers are over but I’ve spoken to a lot of people who did it that way and they wish they would have just finished out before leaving for the NFL. Being able to say that I got my degree while leaving SMU with a conference championship under my belt and having won a bowl game, these are things that not many people can say they accomplished.

To be able to walk away from college football with a Biletnikoff (award for college football’s top receiver), that’s ultimately one of those long-term goals that these small things I’m constantly working on are going to help me get there. These are the things I see for my future. As of right now, I’m just working on the small things to help us get there. My family is so proud of me for getting my degree. I’m really excited about that.

Drew

Reaction Score
Know Your Enemy, Part I: ECU's Jimmy Williams

ECU's Jimmy Williams has huge shoes to fill, as FBS career receptions leader Zay Jones, one of the best wideouts in school history, departed for the NFL last year. However, he has more than enough physical talent to help him along the way.

Williams runs a scorching 4.44 40-yard dash, which along with his 39.5” vertical leap, allowed him to be highly effective against American secondaries. Williams averaged 18.2 yards per catch, leading the conference in 2016 despite sharing the field with one of the best receivers in conference history in Jones.

Williams’ breakaway speed was on full display when he took on Virginia Tech, even though the rest of the team got flattened along the way. Williams made Virginia Tech’s former freshman All-American cornerback Adonis Alexander eat his dust on his way to scoring one of two touchdowns he had against the Hokies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom