2017 UConn Commit JUCO QB David Pindell (Columbia, MD) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Commit JUCO QB David Pindell (Columbia, MD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't say this to pick a fight, but do we really know exactly how lashlee os going to run the offense? I don't expect him to drastically change, but didn't he say he wanted the chance to do his own thing?

We had a recruit say the coaches told him they were going to lean toward passing. We won't see the air raid offense, but we may not see exactly what they did at Auburn.
No but you can only go on what he did at Auburn..and what he has been exposed to offensive philosophy wise..which is Gus Malzhan. He played for him in High school, at Arkansas where he was his OC, then worked under him at every job he has had but 2 (this one and 1 year where he was OC at Samford). If you think he is going to stray from what he knows and go off on his own then more power to you. No offense taken.

Reaction Score
I don't say this to pick a fight, but do we really know exactly how lashlee os going to run the offense? I don't expect him to drastically change, but didn't he say he wanted the chance to do his own thing?

We had a recruit say the coaches told him they were going to lean toward passing. We won't see the air raid offense, but we may not see exactly what they did at Auburn.

I'm going to guess Lashlee is going to teach what he knows, just not all at once.

A dual threat QB, that appeared to be a priority, is telling. Besides, when was the last time a coach told a WR "we're going to run more often than not".

Besides Army an Navy.

Reaction Score
I'm going to guess Lashlee is going to teach what he knows, just not all at once.

A dual threat QB, that appeared to be a priority, is telling. Besides, when was the last time a coach told a WR "we're going to run more often than not".

Besides Army an Navy.
You forgot to add Air Force and Georgia Tech to that list as well..LOL

Reaction Score
Lashlee's offense is not the short passing game...it's big on misdirection and cross traps taken from Tubby Raymond's Wing-T added with the QB doing a lot of read option and heavy on the run. The passing game is designed to take shots vertically down the field when the D stacks the box to stop the run.

I am thinking of the quick hitting passes off play action to a back or slot 7 yards downfield just beyond the LB that Pindell was hitting in his video. I expect we will see those under Lashlee as well.

Reaction Score
No but you can only go on what he did at Auburn..and what he has been exposed to offensive philosophy wise..which is Gus Malzhan. He played for him in High school, at Arkansas where he was his OC, then worked under him at every job he has had but 2 (this one and 1 year where he was OC at Samford). If you think he is going to stray from what he knows and go off on his own then more power to you. No offense taken.

We can go by what he did at Samford, as OC, his only year calling plays without Malzahn

He threw the ball 2475 times and ran it 1829. I'm assuming he was calling the plays.

Am I wrong, or did Malzahn call the plays, until 4+/- games into last season. And when Lashlee took over, his play calling was very different from Malzahn's right?

I think what we saw at Arkansas St and Auburn when they were a pair, was Malzahn really coaching the offense with his guy, Lashlee, along in tow. No disrespect to Lashlee, actually I think Malzahn saw the talent and wanted him along. But Lashlee went from GA to an OC at Auburn in just three years. My gut tells me Malzahn trusted Lashlee to be an OC who would run and do exactly what he was told.

How often does a guy follow a path like this?
1 year at Samford as OC
1 year at Arkansas St as OC
Then OC of an SEC power?

He's three years into his coaching career, I don't think we should assume his offense is based only on what Malzahn wanted to do since his stats without Gus suggest he may want to actually throw more than run.

Southern Conference Football - Leaders

Reaction Score
We can go by what he did at Samford, as OC, his only year calling plays without Malzahn

He threw the ball 2475 times and ran it 1829. I'm assuming he was calling the plays.

Am I wrong, or did Malzahn call the plays, until 4+/- games into last season. And when Lashlee took over, his play calling was very different from Malzahn's right?

I think what we saw at Arkansas St and Auburn when they were a pair, was Malzahn really coaching the offense with his guy, Lashlee, along in tow. No disrespect to Lashlee, actually I think Malzahn saw the talent and wanted him along. But Lashlee went from GA to an OC at Auburn in just three years. My gut tells me Malzahn trusted Lashlee to be an OC who would run and do exactly what he was told.

How often does a guy follow a path like this?
1 year at Samford as OC
1 year at Arkansas St as OC
Then OC of an SEC power?

He's three years into his coaching career, I don't think we should assume his offense is based only on what Malzahn wanted to do since his stats without Gus suggest he may want to actually throw more than run.

Southern Conference Football - Leaders

they actually ran more under Lashlee when he took over as playcaller. Lashlee was coached by Malzhan and has been running his scheme for almost his entire career. I would expect to see much of the same here, but you're right, we don't know.

Reaction Score

Besides Army an Navy.
Well, the one year of calling plays without Malzahn he did throw more often than not.

We don't know what Lashlee knows, or what he's learning.

Reaction Score
they actually ran more under Lashlee when he took over as playcaller. Lashlee was coached by Malzhan and has been running his scheme for almost his entire career. I would expect to see much of the same here, but you're right, we don't know.
Ran more one year, threw more another.

Sounds like a guy who coaches the teams he has. Edsall threw a ton with Dan O, and ran a ton with Donald Brown and Jordan Todman.

my hope/expectation is they coach to the team's strengths.

I think the only guarantee is that we will see some uptempo offense.

Reaction Score
Ran more one year, threw more another.

Sounds like a guy who coaches the teams he has. Edsall threw a ton with Dan O, and ran a ton with Donald Brown and Jordan Todman.

my hope/expectation is they coach to the team's strengths.

I think the only guarantee is that we will see some uptempo offense.
And a read option dual threat QB...

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'm no QB analyst but I love that in his tape he was successfully making a wide variety of throws - seams, deep outs, slants, back shoulder, fades, deep ball go routes, etc. and he had a few that were made while on the move. The only thing I didn't see was the soft touch screens in the middle and the flanker screens to the sidelines but I'm sure those weren't a part of that team's game plan.

Add on his ability to run / quick feet / top speed and this sure seems like a great addition.

Reaction Score
UH Greg Ward - 5'11" 190
TU PJ Walker - 6'1" 195
UCF Mackenzie Milton - 5'11" 170
Tulsa Dane Evans - 6'1" 210

And a former UConn commit
TU Logan Marchi - 6'0" 190

I won't bother listing the Navy QB's.

He's not big, but there is a place for athletic guys to play QB in this conference and be VERY successful.
Really anywhere. If a kid can play he can play. Especially as a dual threat QB. How big is the QB from Oklahoma? Johnny Football? Mike Vick? Tyrod Taylor? Tahj Boyd?

Give me a college QB who can really run and throw well enough any day of the week. Spread defenses out and give him lanes with run pass options all day. Won't work in the pros, but in college it's tough to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom