2017-18 NPOY...Gabby? | The Boneyard

2017-18 NPOY...Gabby?

Reaction Score
Like most of my fellow Boneyarders, I find myself, two months shy of the season opener, chomping at the proverbial bit. Few if any of us, at this very juncture last year, were predicting a fifth consecutive championship, and, alas, we were right, though just barely. Now, for many good reasons, it’s hard to find anyone who is not predicting yet another championship season. The current iteration of the Huskies is so talent-laden and so formidable, we nearly all legitimately anticipate that the one-game losing streak upon which it enters the upcoming season will fade into distant and obscure memory. Like all of Geno’s past teams, this one will clearly be more focused on team goals than on individual honors. And, on any team of superstars, it is far more difficult for any one player to emerge sufficiently above the others to be a valid competitor for honors such as NPOY. But that’s what I’m expecting and predicting for Gabby Williams.

A large part of the task is, in many ways, already “in the bank.” Simply stated, Gabby enters her senior year already having established that she is the premier defensive player in the country…bar none! Because many of the folks who determine these awards understand less about the game than do many of my friends here, that won’t be enough, even combined with the dazzling numbers she will put up in rebounding, assists and steals. Despite the extraordinarily unselfish nature of her game, and irrespective of the presence of so many offensive weapons among her teammates, she will simply have to score more to be so honored. It is in this area that I think the biggest and most pleasant surprise lies in wait for us. Look for a new level of consistency in the mid-range jumper to go along with the inside game that will translate into nothing less than an accumulation of triple-doubles…stats that even these voters will find impossible to ignore. National Player of the Year? Gabby? Yup!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
National Player of the Year? Gabby? Yup!

Was Gabby available to be selected for the USA Basketball's Nation Team? I honestly don't know. I was surprised she did not join Phee and Lou as an invitee. She had enough national coverage last season to be known.

Reaction Score
Wilson is the favorite. As the biggest star by far on the SC roster, she will probably put some pretty gaudy #s, and will get credit if SC has a top 5 year.

If UConn's starting 5 is as good as we hope, it will be hard for any one player to stand out. And someone part of a great ensemble doesnt have the same pressure as someone who has to carry a team.

I'm also curious to see how Gabby's game is affected by Stevens. With Collier's mobility, the two were able to open things up and then Gabby could use her speed to move in the lane. Stevens could clog the middle up giving GW less room to operate. Or she could pull more big bodies out, giving Gabby more room.

And dont forget that Gabby will almost surely play fewer minutes this year.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
I too think Gabby should be in the running for NPOY......But its going to be hard to bit out A'ja Wilson and her own teammates Collier and KLS. If Collier gets on a roll she can carry this team. Publicity shouldn't be a problem
as the team will be in the Top 10 all year. So if the Husky candidates can stay healthy (something A'ja has had problems with) they will be in the running.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Big, I've been saying for months that NPOY would come down to A'ja Wilson & "Big Game" Gabby Williams. Others have suggested it would come down to Gabby & Mitchell or Gabby and (pick a teammate).

In any scenario, Gabby is a legitimate "stat sheet stuffing" superstar who will undoubtedly be better than she was last season.

Reaction Score
Big, I've been saying for months that NPOY would come down to A'ja Wilson & "Big Game" Gabby Williams. Others have suggested it would come down to Gabby & Mitchell or Gabby and (pick a teammate).
In any scenario, Gabby is a legitimate "stat sheet stuffing" superstar who will undoubtedly be better than she was last season.

I hope that you are right.

I hope Uconn and Gabby specifically destroy U.So.Carolina this season. Last year she had an outstanding game. Gabby and Nepheesa left Coates and Wilson breathing heavily on the bench in the first quarter.

Here's to more of that

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that the current (2016-17) version of Gabby has limitations that will prevent her from making a big impact either in the WNBA or at the international/Olympic level. If she had a reliable jump shot out to the 3-point line, she would be an all-world guard, but she doesn't so she isn't. And at 5-11, she can't be consistently effective in the paint against that level of competition. So she really has no position that she can excel at beyond the level of WCBB.

But, if the 2017-18 Gabby can develop a 35-40% 3-point shot and a 45-50% 15-footer, then she will be the best GUARD in the country, and will be a high draft choice in the upcoming WNBA draft -- possibly the first guard chosen. Her perimeter defense is already at that level (although she needs to cut down on her fouls).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I hope Uconn and Gabby specifically destroy U.So.Carolina this season. Last year she had an outstanding game. Gabby and Nepheesa left Coates and Wilson breathing heavily on the bench in the first quarter.

Here's to more of that
I didn't even think about the head to head matchup. After this past season's SC/UConn game there was absolutely no doubt that Gabby was the best player on the court.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
McGuff has a candidate. Muffet will say she has. Yes, Gabby is a senior, but, frankly until we see Phee, Katie Lou and Gabby in action, and see both Gabby's and Pheesa's improvement away from the basket, it's more likely Katie Lou than either of the others.

Reaction Score
McGuff has a candidate. Muffet will say she has. Yes, Gabby is a senior, but, frankly until we see Phee, Katie Lou and Gabby in action, and see both Gabby's and Pheesa's improvement away from the basket, it's more likely Katie Lou than either of the others.
How?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I honestly don't have an opinion as to who I "think" will be the "best" player on UCONN this season. It could easily be 1 of 4 players. The point I wanted to make is - how blessed are we as UCONN fans that we even have the opportunity to engage in this kind of discussion!

Name one other team in the nation who has more than 1 legit 1st team AA candidate, never mind 4... Answer? NONE!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Azura is the most talented player on Uconn!

May be. But she has not put a UConn jersey on in play in the USA and Geno said Italy showed her she had work to do and Z said the same. Surprising given some of the other players comments about her scrimmage play last year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Name one other team in the nation who has more than 1 legit 1st team AA candidate, never mind 4... Answer? NONE!

Although a bit of a long shot, I think UCLA might have 2 in Canada and Billings. But that's still a far cry from 4, point definitely taken.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Wilson has to be the favorite.

She is going to put up some huge numbers as the best player on a top 5 team.

But Gabby is the best player. There isn't a player in college basketball that can do everything she does. Gabby is UConn's best player right now, that we know of (because who knows about Stevens). The question is going to be will she score enough to garner that kind of attention.

But we saw against Miss ST who the best player is. It's the one person who showed up that game.

But the hype around Stevens is crazy. They were saying she could be NPOY. After a year off.

Either way, this should be a really really good year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Was Gabby available to be selected for the USA Basketball's Nation Team? I honestly don't know. I was surprised she did not join Phee and Lou as an invitee. She had enough national coverage last season to be known.
Gabby was invited to U23 trials.

Reaction Score

Here's to more of that
Because awards like NPOY tend to be "factored in" by a credulous and willing press even before the season begins, I take your point about A'ja being the odds-on favorite. Yes, you're right, Gabby may well not be able to overcome that, no matter how convincing her credentials (as I fully expect them to be). But one thing I can promise is that A'ja, irrespective of whatever season numbers she puts up, will not win it on the basis of her performance vs. UConn. Go back and watch the replay of how Geno defensed her last year, with a stifling, collapsing style that left A'ja totally frustrated. She does not, and cannot put up big numbers against this team. Gabby, admittedly with a stronger supporting cast, will, once again, outshine her. As an all-around talent, I'd far prefer Gabby on my team. If defense ever counted in folks' minds as much as offense, which will never happen, it would be no contest!

Reaction Score
I still say this will come down to Wilson vs Collier. NC will lead the Huskies to another NC. She has made incredible skill improvements every year. One more consistent improvement like previous years and she will easily be the NPOY. How beautiful is her dance as she drives to the rim. And she does this with strength and ability to absorb contact. Then that soft outside shot to the three point line is sweet as heck. Her shot blocking skills are up there with Gabby.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How's KLS more likely to win NPOY over Napheesa/ Gabby? What basis?

More diversified game, can bring the ball up the court, excellent passer, as slithery quick to the hoop as Napheesa from outside no less, tough as nails (too), .... I have more but you just want to argue. Notice I said more likely. Any of the 3 could. Preseason prognostication is just that.

Reaction Score
More diversified game, can bring the ball up the court, excellent passer, as slithery quick to the hoop as Napheesa from outside no less, tough as nails (too), .... I have more but you just want to argue. Notice I said more likely. Any of the 3 could. Preseason prognostication is just that.
No one is arguing. I asked a legitimate question. Your previous statements were more of a wait and see approach to Napheesa and Gabby but a quick assertion that KLS was obviously better.

I think it would be more appropriate for a wait and see for the three of them and not crown one while waiting to improvements from the others.
Carry on

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
As much as I love Gabby, I feel there are at least 3 players who are contenders.

Napheesa Collier
Katie Lou Samuelson
A'Ja Wilson

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69