2013-2014 Season Comparison | The Boneyard

2013-2014 Season Comparison

Reaction Score
This season seems like the exact opposite of how things played out in 2013/14. Im not saying this team has Championship talent, but I think it shows how razor thin the margin is between winning and losing. First of all, I think this team lacks confidence at the end of games. Hurley has basically said this the last two years. If you look back on 2013, we beat Maryland by 1, BC by 2, Indiana by 1, Florida by 1, and lost to Stanford by 2. Any one of those games could have gone either way, and thats the feeling I get about this year so far. You can easily make the case we could be 14-3 right no, and at worst 13-4. Feels like we have the absolute worst luck in the country and are just one player away from breaking through.

Reaction Score
We do not have a Shabazz Napier player that can take over games. That's the difference between winning and losing. Just look at our losses to Xavier, Indiana, Wichita, and today. In the last few minutes today, I was thinking of who can we get the ball to in order to close this out? Vital? Gilbert? The answer in my head was nobody because nobody proved it this season that they are ready to step up in the Shabazz role.

To your point at the last sentence where you say we are one player away from breaking through, that's absolutely it. We need a Napier or Kemba, even a Boatright. Someone that will give you a 50/50 shot of making a clutch basket down the most important stretch of the game; the final 4 minutes.

Reaction Score
We do not have a Shabazz Napier player that can take over games. That's the difference between winning and losing. Just look at our losses to Xavier, Indiana, Wichita, and today. In the last few minutes today, I was thinking of who can we get the ball to in order to close this out? Vital? Gilbert? The answer in my head was nobody because nobody proved it this season that they are ready to step up in the Shabazz role.

To your point at the last sentence where you say we are one player away from breaking through, that's absolutely it. We need a Napier or Kemba, even a Boatright. Someone that will give you a 50/50 shot of making a clutch basket down the most important stretch of the game; the final 4 minutes.
Yes! And you hope RJ Cole can be that guy, or James Bouknight can grow into being that kind of player too. Another thing I will say about our 2014 team is that we were loaded with shooters. We were great from the FT line which is uncharacteristic for us, and we had Shabazz, Boatright, Giffey, Kromah, and Daniels who were all legit threats from behind the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Yes! And you hope RJ Cole can be that guy, or James Bouknight can grow into being that kind of player too. Another thing I will say about our 2014 team is that we were loaded with shooters. We were great from the FT line which is uncharacteristic for us, and we had Shabazz, Boatright, Giffey, Kromah, and Daniels who were all legit threats from behind the 3 point line.
Completely agree. The other difference is that this year we actually do have an inside threat in Carlton when he decides to play. The 2013-14 team as you said was loaded with shooters and string bean bigs. If we recruited shooters around a big like Carlton or whatever I wonder how much easier it would be to play an inside out game so that we have a threat everywhere on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom