~20 minute thread: Where should I eat in New Haven? | The Boneyard

~20 minute thread: Where should I eat in New Haven?

Reaction Score
Mrs. Adrien and I have a three-day weekend and on Saturday we are looking to take the 40 minute jaunt from Norwalk for an early dinner in New Haven.

For how much we like the city, we don't go very often unless it's for some type of event/occasion so we aren't too familiar with the food scene outside of its pizza.

We like all types of food, but she's a pescatarian. We also want a place where we dress up a little bit (as in, like not wear typical weekend sweats), but it we'd prefer it isn't too formal.

Bonus points for affordability.

Where should we eat?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shell & Bones would be my top recommendation for what you're looking for. Not cheap, but always good--especially the seafood options. Great view, great room, great service (and awesome oysters!!!).

Union League (French), L'Orcio (Italian), Olea (Spanish) or Tavern on State (modern, farm-to-table style) would be other good options; all will have good seafood, too. None will be cheap or too formal, although Union League can feel more formal than the others because of the room.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Shell & Bones would be my top recommendation for what you're looking for. Not cheap, but always good--especially the seafood options. Great view, great room, great service (and awesome oysters!!!).

Union League (French), L'Orcio (Italian), Olea (Spanish) or Tavern on State (modern, farm-to-table style) would be other good options; all will have good seafood, too. None will be cheap or too formal, although Union League can feel more formal than the others because of the room.
All good options from @8893. A few others I would add:

1. I have always had a nice meal at Zinc. Upscale, farm-to-table-ish.
2. Midpoint if you like Turkish.
3. Goodfellas if you want a mafia thing with good food.

For drinks, my go-to is typically Ordinary. Geronimo's, Three Sheets, Cafe a'Vin are also solid (the good bar list could be a mile long).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks @8893 and @WestHartHusk,

All excellent options. Decided on Olea!
I know your wife won’t go for it, but I highly recommend the Cochinillo. Roast suckling pig with the skin that will make you do backflips if you like bacon and the like. It’s basically a huge cracklin’ on top of the best pork you’ve ever had. It takes a while to prepare so you should order it when you’re seated if you want it.

The Jambon Serrano is also excellent. Better than any prosciutto Di Parma I’ve ever had.

Reaction Score
I know your wife won’t go for it, but I highly recommend the Cochinillo. Roast suckling pig with the skin that will make you do backflips if you like bacon and the like. It’s basically a huge cracklin’ on top of the best pork you’ve ever had. It takes a while to prepare so you should order it when you’re seated if you want it.

The Jambon Serrano is also excellent. Better than any prosciutto Di Parma I’ve ever had.
I’ve tried something similar like that in the Philippines. Highly respect the time and energy to put into that, but it’s not for me.

Reaction Score
Thanks @8893 and @WestHartHusk,

All excellent options. Decided on Olea!
Olea was excellent.

The decor and ambiance was a nice balance between the historic feel of the building and the modern touches. It felt like a special place without being snooty.

The service was A+. Our waiter was cordial, knowledgeable and warm while maintaining a casual ease. A particular highlight was when my wife asked for a suggestion on a red wine and instead of giving her his choice between her two candidates, he asked what type of wine do you like? and upon her answer, he replied I'll get something from the back just for you and completely nailed what she was asking for. Pretty cool.

Most importantly, the food was excellent. My appetizer was their special, butternut soup w/ a hunk of brie while Mrs. Adrien ordered their octopus on a bed of an al dente potato type of salad. Both were excellent.

My entree was bay scallops on polenta w/ potato mist, finely diced chili peppers, potato foam and lemon. On the other side of the table was eggplant wrapped in a very thin pasta which resembled enchiladas.

The dessert was a honeycomb white chocolate bonbon [it was gold and shiny!] w/ lavender ice cream and little honey crumbles with edible flowers. Not the style of dessert I'd typically go for, but it was still excellent.

The total damage was $200, which would file under a "once or twice a year" meal for a couple on two teacher salaries, but we left very satisfied and impressed with the restaurant.

More importantly, the easy 40 minute drive reminded me how regularly we should head to New Haven for a hang and dinner. My only regret was the 8 degree drive home chickened me on my plan of filling up the tank and picking up a Foxon Park for ol' times sake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom