16 team playoff under discussion | The Boneyard

16 team playoff under discussion

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

A 16 team playoff would be great, and would also take some of the wind out of the sails of expansion. Why would an Oregon or Washington change conferences when the PAC-?? Gives them a great shot at making a 16 team playoff? Likewise, why would a middle of the pack Big 10 program vote to add a team that would likely finish above it?

Reaction Score

A 16 team playoff would be great, and would also take some of the wind out of the sails of expansion. Why would an Oregon or Washington change conferences when the PAC-?? Gives them a great shot at making a 16 team playoff? Likewise, why would a middle of the pack Big 10 program vote to add a team that would likely finish above it?
Because these schools know they have no real shot at winning a playoff and so they value money over winning.

Reaction Score
Of course there will be a playoff, just as there is a I-AA playoff. Where the P2 seems to be heading is that they are locking up all of the teams with a legitimate claim to championship status. Ten their conference tournament and eventual matchup between the two P2 champions will be regarded as the true national championship game.

Right now they have every national champion from the past 20 years in either the B1G or the SEC except for Clemson and Florida State.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This would be awesome. My guess would be a 6+10 or 7+9 format (auto bids vs. at-large).

Reaction Score
Because these schools know they have no real shot at winning a playoff and so they value money over winning.
Yeah, but the fan base values winning over school money. And without fan base the money goes away.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SEC wants non AQ's that will lead to 4/5 SEC playoff team. Same with the B1G, but they need expansion, so they don't get shut out as they nearly have in recent past. The rest of the FBS won't go along with that unless there are more than 8 spots.

The wake up call for the SEC will be that teams like UT and OU, UGA, FLA, and any of the other is that someone is going to finish the league with 4/5 losses. Same for the B1G but they will still get teams in with 1/2 losses and they aren't bringing in true powerhouse programs. This is a bad move for USC. They are letting the Michigans, Ohio States and Penn States into their backyard for recruiting. USC and UCLA will have to convince midwest kids to come to the beach (a distinct possibility) or keep all the west coast kids out of the B12/SEC, they are going to see a drop in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the fan base values winning over school money. And without fan base the money goes away.
Has it gone away? No... Fans keep showing support to the good ole State U, no matter what and not many have gone out of business.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Big 10 is not getting meaningfully more money for adding these teams. They are likely treading water on a per team basis. But they are ensuring that a team like Iowa that is occasionally good now will never sniff a playoff bid.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is not getting meaningfully more money for adding these teams. They are likely treading water on a per team basis. But they are ensuring that a team like Iowa that is occasionally good now will never sniff a playoff bid.
My post was responding to part of your post of "Likewise, why would a middle of the pack Big 10 program vote to add a team that would likely finish above it?"... A middle of the road BIG school votes in favor of expansion knowing that they have little chance of winning the national championship and puts more emphasis on adding additive teams to their conference/TV contract so directly they are putting more value on $ than winning. It's something most P5 schools are down with as well because there's only been a handful of schools winning the chip over a handful of decades.

Reaction Score
Has it gone away? No... Fans keep showing support to the good ole State U, no matter what and not many have gone out of business.
If the B1G was comprised only of the likes of Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Maryland would they command the same money?
In the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s BC was arguably New Englands team. Most every good hs player in NE wanted to go there. Flutie’s win over Miami has huge numbers. Where’s there fan base now?

Reaction Score
If the B1G was comprised only of the likes of Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Maryland would they command the same money?
In the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s BC was arguably New Englands team. Most every good hs player in NE wanted to go there. Flutie’s win over Miami has huge numbers. Where’s there fan base now?
Of course not, but that's a different scenario because those schools ARE in the same conference with the Ohio States, Michigans, etc etc.

Reaction Score

16 is better than 12. Why can’t they just copy FCS and call it a day? Because they want to starve everyone not on the Big 2 from revenue.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure that the contention that an SEC championship game is more popular than a National Championship tournament even without the SEC. Maybe in Biloxi and Birmingham. Not so sure about the rest of the country.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure that the contention that an SEC championship game is more popular than a National Championship tournament even without the SEC. Maybe in Biloxi and Birmingham. Not so sure about the rest of the country.
Agreed - I never have watched the SEC Championship game so why would I start now and more people would be turned off by their predatory actions realignment-wise. I think they're blowing smoke when they say "fine, we'll just have our own championship game" (said in my best 5 year old voice).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom