136-0 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

136-0

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The people who said we’d be better by taking a year off. Can you explain what you thought would be different?

I never advocated taking off last year. I believe games whose score counts against an opponent is way more valuable than practice.

That being said, I knew last year's UConn team playing without a conference as a state university whose governance wasn't going to allow short notice road trips or opponents coming in/out of the state was a perfect storm to try the experiment.

Turns out 150 years of real data of the worth of playing games has been validated compared to shutting down to build up a roster. Damn. Conventional wisdom wins again.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Whether or not they played last year has nothing to do with how bad this team is.
I agree with that but that has nothing to do with my question

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I agree with that but that has nothing to do with my question
For the millionth time... understand what our choices were last year. It wasn't to play a 12 game schedule. It was to play 3 or 4 games on random weekends when schedules and covid allowed.

But...I will give you my perspective...

I thought they would be physically more capable to play FBS football than they were in 2019. I thought they would have a deeper knowledge of Edsalls schemes and playbook. I thought the time off would allow Edsall players to establish themselves while Diaco players graduated or transferred.

It turns out that time didn't help. Bad team in 2019 and they are still bad in 2021.

Does that answer your question?

Reaction Score
For the millionth time... understand what our choices were last year. It wasn't to play a 12 game schedule. It was to play 3 or 4 games on random weekends when schedules and covid allowed.

But...I will give you my perspective...

I thought they would be physically more capable to play FBS football than they were in 2019. I thought they would have a deeper knowledge of Edsalls schemes and playbook. I thought the time off would allow Edsall players to establish themselves while Diaco players graduated or transferred.

It turns out that time didn't help. Bad team in 2019 and they are still bad in 2021.

Does that answer your question?
There were people who said they would be better without playing a whole season of football, that's an absolutely insane take.

Looks like you're one of those people.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
There were people who said they would be better without playing a whole season of football, that's an absolutely insane take.

Anything live last year would have helped…it’s crazy to think otherwise. Even UMess has looked better.

Reaction Score
Anything live last year would have helped…it’s crazy to think otherwise. Even UMess has looked better.
I don’t follow UMASS closely although I should since I work there and have connections like UCONN. What I noticed is the QB that played last year is no longer there. Got a transfer from CU and now they are scoring points. It mattered.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I don’t follow UMASS closely although I should since I work there and have connections like UCONN. What I noticed is the QB that played last year is no longer there. Got a transfer from CU and now they are scoring points. It mattered.
There are a lot of other guys that got game experience last year. That certainly matters.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

It wasn't a whole season. It would have been 3 or 4 games. I did believe the unique position of the UConn program (true freshman needing to play...no conference games...covid risks) meant a year of development versus a few crappy games would be beneficial.

I don't think that is an "insane take"...and how they played this season hasn't proven anything. Who knows if the team would be better if they played a few games last year. Maybe...but I'm not so sure. They still had Edsall and Giufre.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Say they played last year...how would that impact this year? Would they have a win? Maybe beat Holy Cross?

All that would have done is help Edsall keep his job. They still wouldn't be a good team.

Really...at this point...who cares?

Reaction Score
It wasn't a whole season. It would have been 3 or 4 games. I did believe the unique position of the UConn program (true freshman needing to play...no conference games...covid risks) meant a year of development versus a few crappy games would be beneficial.

I don't think that is an "insane take"...and how they played this season hasn't proven anything. Who knows if the team would be better if they played a few games last year. Maybe...but I'm not so sure. They still had Edsall and Giufre.
I’m with you. We would’ve played UMass (maybe twice), Liberty, and maybe one other random school. Edsall wouldn’t have been fired during a covid year. 4 saturdays in 2020 wouldn’t have made this a different team than it is right now. It’s a straw man argument.

Reaction Score

You can debate whether it made financial sense but thinking it is more beneficial to a college football team not playing for a season is an insane take.

Reaction Score
I’m with you. We would’ve played UMass (maybe twice), Liberty, and maybe one other random school. Edsall wouldn’t have been fired during a covid year. 4 saturdays in 2020 wouldn’t have made this a different team than it is right now. It’s a straw man argument.
They would have seen who can play or not. Instead they know who is good at lifting weights and doing practice drills.

Reaction Score
RE being obstinate didn’t want to play. Enough with the excuses. If the kids didn’t want to play then they are wimps and shouldn’t be playing at all.
You sound like a 12 year old…calling a bunch of college football players “wimps”

Reaction Score
They would have seen who can play or not. Instead they know who is good at lifting weights and doing practice drills.
For the record, our starting QB today wasn’t even on campus in 2020. But I’m sure 4 games last year would’ve been the key to turning it around this year.

Reaction Score
Is it really any more complicated than you can’t beat FBS teams when you’re limited to recruiting FCS players (regardless of whether they’re from Canada or wherever)?

Reaction Score
Say they played last year...how would that impact this year? Would they have a win? Maybe beat Holy Cross?

All that would have done is help Edsall keep his job. They still wouldn't be a good team.

Really...at this point...who cares?
Boom. It didn’t matter. We are just way behind where we need to be. I mostly blame Edsall. He was starting our worst QB. That aided in shattering our confidence. Krajewski and Tyler Phommachanh both score enough to beat Holy Cross. We were led by a coach that was past his sell date.

The guys are stronger and faster, they are just poorly coached and more importantly, poorly game planned. Everyone dismissing Spanos, consider, he’s tried two QBs and given us something to be mildly happy about. That hasn’t happened since we beat Houston at the Rent 100 years ago. Things are better today than they were two weeks ago. Let’s just worry about that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do give spanos credit for mixing things up. I would rather him in a damn heartbeat over an obstinate stubborn SOB. Bringing in a new set of eyes to at least try and help the offense is at least a sign he is trying. The talent gap is just mind boggling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom