#1 Stanford @ Southern California - 12/19/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#1 Stanford @ Southern California - 12/19/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Curse you @LETTERL, I hadn't noticed how annoying that guy was until you pointed it out and now I am cursing at my streaming...he needs to just shut up about a his knowledge of the behind the scenes of both teams and you know, actually call the game being played...Head bang

Did you know Tara trains w/ Katie Ledecky at the pool? I've heard that story the last 2 games. I will probably hear it every Stanford broadcast the rest of the season. (I can also tell you that Amber Melgoza was a BMX champion as a kid, because I heard that repeated about a thousand times)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Trojans cut the lead to 9, 6 1/2 minutes left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm gonna say this--if Brink wasn't in foul trouble all game this wouldn't be close. She's killing USC in her brief stints.

edit--and she just fouled out; pushed the lead up to 15 in a bit over 2 minutes on the floor

Reaction Score
USC is playing a lot better than UW did today, if you can't see that I can't help you.

Tough game for you to watch in Pullman? Sorry can't help you with that this year.

So you think No 1 Stanford is playing well averaging 96 with 67 with 3:00 left to play. cant help you there either.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
How many easy shots is Stanford missing? My gosh, imagine if UConn played a game like this-the game chat would have been shut down and this thread would have all the mods working overtime!

One minor point but a valid one, Stanford is not allowed to have a home game due to Covid mandates, so this team has to be ready for all road games, not the greatest of situations but a veteran team has to adapt.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tough game for you to watch in Pullman? Sorry can't help you with that this year.

So you think No 1 Stanford is playing well averaging 96 with 67 with 3:00 left to play. cant help you there either.

Not playing great but I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire.

Washington was inept today, and yet still kept within 10-12 for way longer than there's any logical explanation for.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pop quiz @Figurehead : as a primary ballhandler would you rather have Endiya Rogers or Khayla Rooks? Shouldn't have to think about this one too long.

Reaction Score
Not playing great but I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire.

Washington was inept today, and yet still kept within 10-12 for way longer than there's any logical explanation for.
Your Beevurs are terrible this year, that is a raging inferno each week of hopelessness. Only one team worse in the Pac-12 and that is CAL

Reaction Score
Pop quiz @Figurehead : as a primary ballhandler would you rather have Endiya Rogers or Khayla Rooks? Shouldn't have to think about this one too long.
Pop quiz : Does Oregon state have a point guard this year and did Ruecks mad scientist mix of just recruiting height only fail?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Well, I certainly could see the comparison perspective of two dominant programs of Oregon and Stanford playing against two of the bottom dwellers in the league that both games should have been 40 point blow outs. Neither game was "a gem" but I too, would not call this 1st half a dumpster fire of the Stanford/USC game.

Entertaining game where I felt Stanford would still win but USC showed a lot of heart, more so than UW did.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Hold on there @Figurehead, while the Beavers may not be among their usual high standard and in the top half of the conference this year, they are still better than Cal, UW, Colorado and USC. They should split with Utah and could probably even out with ASU.

Reaction Score
Well, I certainly could see the comparison perspective of two dominant programs of Oregon and Stanford playing against two of the bottom dwellers in the league that both games should have been 40 point blow outs. Neither game was "a gem" but I too, would not call this 1st half a dumpster fire of the Stanford/USC game.

Entertaining game where I felt Stanford would still win but USC showed a lot of heart, more so than UW did.
Okay I will give you that USC had more heart than UW because they are better than either UW or OSU hands down. Remember Stanford has all the "dawgs" and number one ranking right now so that carries extra weight. Was it a number one performance. I will let our UCONN sisters decide that in due time

Reaction Score
Angel Jackson played some good defense as evidenced by her blocks, but a player who did not get much mention and probable played the best defense for USC was Oliver. She started on Jones and made her take nothing but contested shots. It totally took her out of her rythem. She also played defense on the Stanford centers Perchtel and Brinks when Jackson was out. I do not remember any player scoring while she was guarding her. On offense she is in constant motion and on defense she stays in the back pocket of her assignment.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
- A look at the OSU season stat sheet would indicate that they seem to be employing the "rotating lead guard" approach that teams employ when they have the right personnel and/or they just don't have a good enough PG available to put on the floor. (For good results, see ND 2017-2018. For ??? results, see ND 2020-21 :rolleyes: )
- So, Aleah Goodman -- the leading scorer -- is averaging 4.2 assists per game, while star freshman Sasha Goforth chips in 3.3. Not bad for a frosh off guard because, that's what she is!
- Goforth is the other answer. Scott R. got her and she's pretty dang good. He also picked up a versatile forward in Ellie Mack, the Patriot League player of last year whose finding the PAC12 is a step up.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She also played defense on the Stanford centers Perchtel and Brinks when Jackson was out.

Brink scored 12 points in only 10 minutes. The only thing that stopped her was fouls. When she was on the floor, she was scoring, nobody from USC stopped her.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ.The only time someone scored on Oliver was when a ball was intercepted as she was heading toward the basket and the opposition went the other way. There Brinks got head of her
]scored and was fouled, but that was only because Oliver was playing catch up and could not get there in time. Oliver was not the only player watching Brinks. You would not know who she scored on but I specifically was paying attention to Oliver and I do not remember any player scoring when Oliver was guarding them except for that break away on a stolen pass. I do that sometimes- focus on a specific player on defense and in this game it was Oliver. I can not say how often she was defending her but except for that on example no one scored on her while she was guarding them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, well then Oliver must not have been matched up w/ Brink much, because she scored frequently during her brief playing time.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I beg to differ.The only time someone scored on Oliver was when a ball was intercepted as she was heading toward the basket and the opposition went the other way. There Brinks got head of her
]scored and was fouled, but that was only because Oliver was playing catch up and could not get there in time. Oliver was not the only player watching Brinks. You would not know who she scored on but I specifically was paying attention to Oliver and I do not remember any player scoring when Oliver was guarding them except for that break away on a stolen pass. I do that sometimes- focus on a specific player on defense and in this game it was Oliver. I can not say how often she was defending her but except for that on example no one scored on her while she was guarding them.
Brink. No S.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom