C Zach Brown | Page 9 | The Boneyard

C Zach Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
dham hasn't shown the confidence and control of his game as yet, so he tended to be more in the background than we (the hyperfocused fans) would expect. He is such a talent! He has an amazing type of quickness for his size and just a great feel. I kind of hope he builds the confidence gradually so he stays 3 years, but I could manage with a breakout year starting this coming school year.

Reaction Score
DHam was a far superior rebounder, ball handler and was exceptional at setting up his teammates with easy baskets which translates to significant out-of-position assists, which is a valuable indicator of his future outlook in the NBA.

I don't even think these things are true.

Your point basically comes down to Hamilton not getting a fair shake from scouts and that's why he's not as prized as Winslow. That's just insane.

Reaction Score
UConn being on ESPN a good deal doesn't really change anything in my opinion. if anything, the Drummond example proves my point further. Look at the draft profiles of Drummond and Embiid at their one years at their respective programs, near identical numbers, same positions while Drummond id say was an even more impressive physical specimen than Embiid. Come draft day, Drummond is getting non-sense, unquantifiable reviews from analysts like "weak motor" or whatever the hell that means. Meanwhile Embiid is being rumored to go ahead of even Wiggins who has been considered an NBA phenom-lock since 9th grade, even WHILE Embiid is entering the draft with major injury that won't let him play his entire first year!

Drummond plummets to #9 while Embiid with serious injury concerns goes #3. The difference? Analysts and scouts actually watch KU much more closely for assessing potential prospects than they do UConn.

Another example, this past season we had Daniel Hamilton, who in my opinion was one of the true Top 5 impact freshman in his entire class with size and stellar NBA length. Yet has anyone even heard a peep about his draft prospects outside of srappy's posts here on the boneyard? To me DHam has similar prospects as a guy like Justise Winslow at Duke but no one in the media would tell you that. Granted UConn's bad season didn't help DHam's stock but that's EXACTLY my point.

The blue blood programs in question here like UK, Duke, KU, etc bring in so much elite talent each year that they essentially reload and are rarely in danger of missing the post season which is huge for prospect exposure (see Deandre Daniels in 2014). Thus, these guys can showcase their talent better than UConn because they are consistently elite on a national level. Meanwhile UConn does things differently, we go after tough, hard nosed guys that are raw and require a couple years of play before they are ready for the big scene, which partially explain UConn's cyclical nature and roller coaster performances over 5 year periods.

It's not that scouts and analysts don't SEE UConn, it's because they don't percieve UConn in the same way as we are a fundamentally different type of program, our means of achieving our goals of a title differ from the other elite programs. UConn is more akin to Michigan State in this regard than Duke/UK despite our success, and MSU isn't exactly a destination spot for elite NBA-focused talent.

You mentioned lack of exposure, which is why I mentioned ESPN and CBS. Isn't that exposure?

As for Drummond and Embiid, their respective draft positions had more to do with their play than where they went to school. As for DHam, he's great. Unfortunately, he's not exactly the athlete that Winslow is.

As I wrote in my post, UConn is not Duke, UK or Kansas. But, then you wrote etc.? Who are the etc.?

Id like to know.

Reaction Score
You mentioned lack of exposure, which is why I mentioned ESPN and CBS. Isn't that exposure?

As for Drummond and Embiid, their respective draft positions had more to do with their play than where they went to school. As for DHam, he's great. Unfortunately, he's not exactly the athlete that Winslow is.

As I wrote in my post, UConn is not Duke, UK or Kansas. But, then you wrote etc.? Who are the etc.?

Id like to know.
Drummond got killed for a lack of "motor" and for his team wildly underperforming from the pre-season expectations.

Embiid's team was the 2-seed, overperforming, and he played well the whole season.

Now, scouts were wrong on the motor thing, but it wasn't unreasonable to question it at the time.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
UConn being on ESPN a good deal doesn't really change anything in my opinion. if anything, the Drummond example proves my point further. Look at the draft profiles of Drummond and Embiid at their one years at their respective programs, near identical numbers, same positions while Drummond id say was an even more impressive physical specimen than Embiid. Come draft day, Drummond is getting non-sense, unquantifiable reviews from analysts like "weak motor" or whatever the hell that means. Meanwhile Embiid is being rumored to go ahead of even Wiggins who has been considered an NBA phenom-lock since 9th grade, even WHILE Embiid is entering the draft with major injury that won't let him play his entire first year!

Drummond plummets to #9 while Embiid with serious injury concerns goes #3. The difference? Analysts and scouts actually watch KU much more closely for assessing potential prospects than they do UConn.

Another example, this past season we had Daniel Hamilton, who in my opinion was one of the true Top 5 impact freshman in his entire class with size and stellar NBA length. Yet has anyone even heard a peep about his draft prospects outside of srappy's posts here on the boneyard? To me DHam has similar prospects as a guy like Justise Winslow at Duke but no one in the media would tell you that. Granted UConn's bad season didn't help DHam's stock but that's EXACTLY my point.

The blue blood programs in question here like UK, Duke, KU, etc bring in so much elite talent each year that they essentially reload and are rarely in danger of missing the post season which is huge for prospect exposure (see Deandre Daniels in 2014). Thus, these guys can showcase their talent better than UConn because they are consistently elite on a national level. Meanwhile UConn does things differently, we go after tough, hard nosed guys that are raw and require a couple years of play before they are ready for the big scene, which partially explain UConn's cyclical nature and roller coaster performances over 5 year periods.

It's not that scouts and analysts don't SEE UConn, it's because they don't percieve UConn in the same way as we are a fundamentally different type of program, our means of achieving our goals of a title differ from the other elite programs. UConn is more akin to Michigan State in this regard than Duke/UK despite our success, and MSU isn't exactly a destination spot for elite NBA-focused talent.

I think your take on Drummond/Embiid and Hamilton/Winslow is COMPLETELY off-base and patently the result of your pro-Husky player bias. That's coming from a guy with a pro-Husky player bias.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
"Stellar NBA length". False, Hamilton has short arms which definitely hurts his stock. Winslow is the better pro prospect, we all have to just deal with that.

Drummond was extremely hesitant to attach the rim on offense because of his FT woes. If he wasn't, he would have gone much higher. Regardless, he has shown to have a ton of promise in the NBA. More than Embiid may ever. So who cares about the 6 spot difference in the lottery?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
"Stellar NBA length". False, Hamilton has short arms which definitely hurts his stock. Winslow is the better pro prospect, we all have to just deal with that.
Wait. Hamilton is 6-foot-8 with a 6-foot-9 wingspan. While that doesn't qualify as "stellar," it also doesn't qualify as "short." Matt Barnes and Gordon Hayward are two NBA SFs who come to mind with shorter wingspans, and I'm sure there are many others.

I do agree, though, that his lack of "elite length" is why he'll be back for his sophomore year, while someone like Oubre goes one-and-done.

Reaction Score
dham hasn't shown the confidence and control of his game as yet, so he tended to be more in the background than we (the hyperfocused fans) would expect. He is such a talent! He has an amazing type of quickness for his size and just a great feel. I kind of hope he builds the confidence gradually so he stays 3 years, but I could manage with a breakout year starting this coming school year.

Unfortunately, he's a 2 and done. That said, he'll give us great minutes next season!

Reaction Score
Went from top 5 to #19 in latest ESPN rankings.

Reaction Score
Went from top 5 to #19 in latest ESPN rankings.

I guess this shouldn't be a huge surprise. A lot of the reports recently from people watching him weren't stellar. I know Russ saw him recently and wasn't super impressed. Big-time athlete, but the skills aren't there yet. I still definitely want him, but he has some work to do.

C

Chief00

I know this won't be popular with the Boy Scouts here; but we could really use Clyde type bigs coach for recruits like this. Personally, my judgement is that recruits could care less about a $10 transaction on a Hartford street over a decade ago.

Reaction Score
I know this won't be popular with the Boy Scouts here; but we could really use Clyde type bigs coach for recruits like this. Personally, my judgement is that recruits could care less about a $10 transaction on a Hartford street over a decade ago.

True but their parents might. Other schools might bring it up also.

C

Chief00

True but their parents might. Other schools might bring it up also.

I know that's the conventional wisdom on the Boneyard for over a decade but how much has Pitino's situation impacted his recruiting? Probably a zero impact. How much did Coach Cal's staff providing extra benefits at UMass (putting in a delicate way) impact his recruiting at UK? None.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I know that's the conventional wisdom on the Boneyard for over a decade but how much has Pitino's situation impacted his recruiting? Probably a zero impact. How much did Coach Cal's staff providing extra benefits at UMass (putting in a delicate way) impact his recruiting at UK? None.
Neither were criminal offenses.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I believe Cals extra benefits have had a significant impact on his recruiting don't you?

Reaction Score
Wasn't another problem with Clyde,his real first name was Clive , had a police record, lied about it to the school? I think it was for the same offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom