C Zach Brown | Page 6 | The Boneyard

C Zach Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Look at 'shad. Legend. Great pic.
I just love 'shad. Definitely one of my favorite players. When I think of him I always get a smile because three things immediately come to mind:

1. The two free throws to put us up by three vs. Duke in '04;

2. The two second half threes he hit in that same game, each time the Duke lead had swelled to a seemingly insurmountable margin; and

3. The "Scream" mask and plastic knife incident.

Yep, legend for sure.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I just love 'shad. Definitely one of my favorite players. When I think of him I always get a smile because three things immediately come to mind:

1. The two free throws to put us up by three vs. Duke in '04;

2. The two second half threes he hit in that same game, each time the Duke lead had swelled to a seemingly insurmountable margin; and

3. The "Scream" mask and plastic knife incident.

Yep, legend for sure.

If people have the time, watch the games from Rashad's tenure at UConn again. The number of big shots and big plays he made was amazing. The bigger the moment, the calmer he seemed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The bigger the moment, the calmer he seemed.
And that was never clearer than when he took those free throws with 12 seconds left in that '04 Duke game. He looked like he was born to take those shots. I was at the game but I've watched it several times since and the look of happy calm on his face is priceless and sums him up perfectly.

Reaction Score
The three against Washington to send that game to OT was my favorite. I was in the pep band for that, and we stayed up all night in the hotel watching Sportscenter over and over. It was a pretty spectacular night. The UW fans were so pissed.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
And that was never clearer than when he took those free throws with 12 seconds left in that '04 Duke game. He looked like he was born to take those shots. I was at the game but I've watched it several times since and the look of happy calm on his face is priceless and sums him up perfectly.
Another great moment was at the end of regulation against Washington when he hit the game-tying 3 with a defender bumping him slightly chest-to-chest . Total concentration.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The three against Washington to send that game to OT was my favorite. I was in the pep band for that, and we stayed up all night in the hotel watching Sportscenter over and over. It was a pretty spectacular night. The UW fans were so pissed.

I started my post about the same play, then finished after you did. Great minds and all that

Reaction Score

Connecticut, Kansas, Memphis, Miami, Ohio State, South Carolina, UCLA and Virginia, have also offered Brown. In a year, the more accurate question is which top 40 program hasn't offered him? He looks forward to seeing college coaches at his games, and will have a host of them watching him this upcoming weekend for EYBL No. 2 in Lexington, Ky.

"That motivates me to play harder," Brown said. "I don't really get into it [who has offered], but I know I have UConn and Virginia. I worry about school and other things like that. It is crazy though."

Reaction Score
They are great success stories. But kids today have sky-high expectations. They're not going to be sold by being told they can follow in the footsteps of a big man with a 4-5 year NBA career who made some money. They want to be in the league making NBA cash for a long time. There are other programs who have big men that have solidly entrenched themselves into the NBA (and by extension, the NBA's pay scale). That hurts us.

I agree, but I think these tales would help us get "our" favorite pick of unheralded big men. Sometimes the staff sees something in a 3star recruit that they feel means they can build them into an NBA draft pick, so hopefully it can get us slightly better guys when we target below the five star recruits

Reaction Score
Interviewed by some UK guys: http://kentucky.scout.com/story/1540739-aw-video-brown-at-eybl-lexington-day-1

As a sophomore in high school he isn't worried about three years down the road.

"I don't know nothing about that," Brown said. "I have my dad and my coaches that handle that stuff. I just rep my high school and AAU ball … I just came up here to play. I don't know nothing about colleges or anything like that."

And while he may not know if Kentucky is recruiting him, he is familiar with UK's team. He said he's watched Kentucky, Duke, UConn and Miami (Fla.) over the past season.

"I watched a lot," Brown said. "I just watch it to see what I learn from the game."

Reaction Score
FYI, Boo is not coaching the Nike Miami South Beach game in EYBL right now. I am 95% sure he wasn't coaching the game this afternoon. I don't even see him on their bench.

Reaction Score

QUOTES FROM BROWN'S LEGAL GUARDIAN:
As a basketball player, can you discuss his growth from last summer to this summer.
I've had Zach since middle school. He's been all-Dade county as of eighth grade. Then he went to Miami Beach. The first two years of Miami Beach, he became all-state and All-American as a freshman. Recently, they just transferred to Miami High, which has eighteen state championships, so we feel we have the best opportunity to win two more state championships and get a great education. And, like I said, he wakes up early in the morning and he does MMA fighting. He does yoga late at night for stretching purposes.​

I was going to ask you about that, because I think he's so much more flexible.
I think yoga helps him late at night stretching. We do a lot of unorthodox training.​

It's clearly paying off right now.
Well, thank you. Thank you. It's a team effort and we have a very small nucleus. We keep it small and we don't want the distractions. Coach is best friends with Ray Allen, so he knows what it's like with the movie "He Got Game" with Jesus. Zach's very humble. He's very family oriented. He's just really focused at the task at-hand. He takes so much pride in defense and rim-protecting. His offensive arsenal has just improved so much in one year.​

In terms of recruiting, what are some of the things he will look for in a program whenever he decides?

I mean, if you look at the top twenty, he's got thirty offers. We have to find a system where the big man is a focus, where the offense runs through the big men. Obviously, Zach has a lot of offensive skills, so we want a good fit. Chances are, he won't be in college long. There are rules we can't control, so we'll see how that goes. We want the preparation not only to prepare Zach not only to be in the League, but to be a top pick and be a Hall of Famer one day. There are a lot of great coaches out there.​

What schools have offered so far and what schools have expressed interest?
All of the major schools, if you looked at them. UConn, Duke, Virginia, University of Miami, Kansas, all of the major schools. UCLA. I could go on and on. We haven't made a decision. We haven't even chosen which visits we want. At the end of the day, it's going to be Zach's decision. There's integrity in the process, dealing with me. That's the most important thing. It's going to be a very clean process. We're going to sit down together. And the most important thing is Zach is only a sophomore and just focus on Zach.​

Specifically, about Duke, what has Duke expressed in terms of interest and what do you guys know about the program?
Well, I talk to most of the assistants. I haven't talked to Coach K. They just won the National Championship. They have the number one center in the country and I'm partners with the Miami Heat, so I know Nick Arison and everyone is a big Duke fan. You know, with the integrity of the process, I really try to stay away from it. The important thing is not to jeopardize Zach's eligibility, so I'm very cautious to stay away from any distractions. When the time comes with these open periods, we're going to weigh our options. There's no favorite. Everyone's at ground zero.​

QUOTES FROM ZACH BROWN:
So, how do you think your game has advanced to the point that it already has? What helped you develop the skill that you already have?
My dad, Michael Lipman has been coaching me since I was young with the South Beach Celtics. And then Coach Boo, who is a former player for UConn..he's been training me when I was younger. And also, I went to Miami Beach, and they taught me a couple of things, so everybody's been helping me to improve.

When you get to college, are you hoping to be a power forward or a center?
I'm hoping to be a center. I like to dominate. I use my strength and my size.​

What makes you want to be a center when a lot of guys your size don't want to be centers? They want to be on the perimeter.
That was the first thing that I was ever taught was to be a center, so that's why I love being a pull, I love banging. That's why I love what I do.​

From what you've seen of guys on the college level, who do you think does a good job with centers like you?
I'd say Duke.​

Really?
Yeah, with Okafor.​

So, what were your impressions of watching Jahlil (Okafor) play or just watching Duke in general?
They're good. They make it to the top.​

And this isn't specific to a school, but what you like in a school that you ultimately choose?
I would like a tradition of big men. I would like a good academic program. Also, a film school. So, I would just like for them to have what I want. A tradition of big men and how to play with the big men and also have a great academic program and film school.​

Reaction Score
He's an elite talent, and I'd love him at UConn. You also have to like all the UConn connections he has.

I know he's still only a sophomore (hard to believe at 7'1, 250!) and crystal ball predictions mean next to nothing, but it's currently at 100% UConn. Really hoping we can land this kid. It sounds like he wants to be great and really puts in the work.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Best thing that can happen for our recruitment of him is for Amida to bulk up and blow up. Kid's too young to remember Emeka in his prime.

Reaction Score
Best thing that can happen for our recruitment of him is for Amida to bulk up and blow up. Kid's too young to remember Emeka in his prime.
Yep, was just gonna say that Amida Brimah's success and development over the next one or two years is crucial for our big man recruiting.

Reaction Score
This is some prospect. Boo should tell him about andre drummond.

Reaction Score
I think brimah has shown a nice trajectory for such a lowly rated prospect. was a late first rounder at the end of the year, sits at 37 on DX 2016 board. also coming off a conference dpoy. Not bad, dare I say impressive

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Based on that writeup id say theres a slim chance he comes here. I like the UConn connection with his coach but its a moot point when him and his handler repeatedly mention the importance of being a top pick, which UConn hasnt been able to do consistently for some years now, and his belief that Duke is right for him because of Okafor. Okafor did what he did because he's Okafor, not because of Duke, and if he doesnt see that then I really dont anticipate him being a Husky, here to hoping im wrong.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Based on that writeup id say theres a slim chance he comes here. I like the UConn connection with his coach but its a moot point when him and his handler repeatedly mention the importance of being a top pick, which UConn hasnt been able to do consistently for some years now, and his belief that Duke is right for him because of Okafor. Okafor did what he did because he's Okafor, not because of Duke, and if he doesnt see that then I really dont anticipate him being a Husky, here to hoping im wrong.
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Even I'm not this pessimistic about recruiting...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman