Yankees thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Have the Rays won a World Series yet?

No?

Time to STFU, sweetpea - the grownups are talking.

Yankees just had four home games in Tampa. Time to contract that clown show and give a franchise to a town that might actually deserve one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Wow! This jerk makes me regret giving the Rays the credit. TB won 7 whole games more than the Yankees without the problems. If your point is that you beat our 2nd & 3rd string by 7 game of 162, you are right. How many people showed up for your playoff games? Your franchise is unsustainable. Lousy fans

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I could care less about the Yankee injuries. What do you want a hug? Didn't the great Bill Parcells say "you are what your record says you are." What do you want an asterick? 85-77*..... lots of injuries and the fat pitcher we gave a ton of money to sucked. Cashman put together a 200 million dollar plus, cheating, old team with lack of versatility and they broke down.

This is great, Yankee fans are doing cartwheels over a 10-8 start and celebrating a "masterful, incredible and excellent" 85 -77" tied for 3rd place season. How the mighty have fallen.
Wow, I stopped posting on this board for a long while but I don't remember you being such an a s s hole.

And they are 12-8.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just wondering if Yankee fans still think Ellsbury v. Gardner is a push?

Reaction Score
Losing Ellsbury is a killer for Boston. Made way worse by the fact the Yankees got him and now have to play him all season...great all around player. And will hit HRs with that bandbox in right field in NY. Future league MVP. Could have won it two years ago when he had a Mickey Mantle in his prime type season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who the hell ever thought that? Many Yankee fans felt Gardner wasn't good enough to be a starter on the Yankees.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Losing Ellsbury is a killer for Boston. Made way worse by the fact the Yankees got him and now have to play him all season...great all around player. And will hit HRs with that bandbox in right field in NY. Future league MVP. Could have won it two years ago when he had a Mickey Mantle in his prime type season.

Boston has treated a lot of it's stars poorly. Fisk stands out the most when they didn't talk contract with him. Their icon of their most heroic moment in decades (in a series that they ultimately lost). The second best catcher in the A.L. at the time. Jim Rice, Ells, Ruth...

Reaction Score
BS.

They didnt treat Ellsbury any more poorly than the Yankees treated Cano poorly...unless not giving a FA what he wants is now treating them badly.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Absolutely not! The Yanks talked to Cano. The Yanks made reasonable offers to Cano. Ellsbury was getting basically the same treatment Fisk got..

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
And I still sound smarter than you!
Why not add something to the conversation rather than insults? I mention 4 stars the Sox treated poorly, you disagree with one of my examples. I don't even get your point except you think (for reasons unknown) that Ells was treated fairly. While he and Drew waited to hear from management and every Sox fan I know badmouthed Ells.

Here is how communication works. If you have a piece to the story that I don't know, you add it. Maybe I learn something. Maybe I tell you something you don't know. Then we can discuss my 3 other examples and see if my point holds water. Which it does.

Keep your potty mouth out of it

Reaction Score
Not one word of what you write about Fisk or the others is accurate. None of it. Did not happen. Sox lost Fisk and he became a FA (and Lynn too) due to a technicality and front office screw up being like two days late in sending them their contracts in 1981. You make no point about Rice to reply to...he retired a Red Sox. Ruth? Really?

And to suggest fair treatment is whether or not they offered a FA what they want or what you judge to be reasonable is not worthy of reply.

Reaction Score
People around me last night were pitiful regarding Ellsbury. I am not sure how Yankee fans will be with Cano and we know they aren't always pleasant but to think some of you actually believe Yankee fans are worst than yours is rather fn hilarious…..

I was waiting for Fung Wah to pick him up on 3rd and drive him home after his triple! LOL

Reaction Score
I like Ellsbury and dont get the booing thing...

But Yankee fans would be brutal to Cano had he signed with us...not as big a deal where in Seattle. I was in Yankee Stadium when David Wells signed with us and pitched for us vs.you....it was ugly. And that was Wells....not someone on a Cano or Ellsbury level.

But neither fan base has a monopoly on jackoffs. We both got our fill...

Reaction Score
I like Ellsbury and dont get the booing thing...

But Yankee fans would be brutal to Cano had he signed with us...not as big a deal where in Seattle. I was in Yankee Stadium when David Wells signed with us and pitched for us vs.you....it was ugly. And that was Wells....not someone on a Cano or Ellsbury level.

But neither fan base has a monopoly on jackoffs. We both got our fill...

BINGO………we know that just so many others still learning the fan base game!! LOL

Funny story I was 3 Sox fans but we all get along and rib each other to death. When I was kidding around about how much I loved Ellsbury this in front of me heard it and began to talk out loud about ever Yankee that came to the plate…….jeter "washed up, glad he's still playing he sucks now"…..Texiera "they payed so much for this guys I knew he was awful….." after the bloop hit to right he jumps up and says "hit the ball like a man Texiera you suck"……Solarte (typical Yankee pick up he'll be in Triple A in a month…….. Brian Roberts "Wow another washed up guy wha an awful line up, they're terrible"…….

Okay so guess who left their seat saying they couldn't take it any more?? Not me LOL……….i was all over this poor sap and he had no answers……..even his buddy was laughing at some of my comebacks, which by the way were all in great taste and not really directed to him just like him - louder than normal. My guys were laughing knowing where I was going……then it rained and we went to Who's on 1st" with all the rest of the Sox fans who were suddenly much more interested in the Bruins LOL…..good night for me had a blast.

Reaction Score
That game plus UConn throwing out first pitch....you dont get a better night in Fenway for a guy like you...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So. they didn't dis Fisk, they just didn't get around to his contract until 2 days after it expired. No offers on the table either. Standard operating procedures.
I'll never understand why they did that with Fisk. Neither did the fans as I remember. Ruth was to finance a Broadway musical, Rice was never the right color for the last team in MLB to integrate, Ells was, I believe, because the front office became too full of itself and thought they (and there Billy-Ball like system) were bigger than the middle of their defense. Not a terrible move at short but center field may come back to bight you

Reaction Score
So. they didn't dis Fisk, they just didn't get around to his contract until 2 days after it expired. No offers on the table either. Standard operating procedures.
I'll never understand why they did that with Fisk. Neither did the fans as I remember. Ruth was to finance a Broadway musical, Rice was never the right color for the last team in MLB to integrate, Ells was, I believe, because the front office became too full of itself and thought they (and there Billy-Ball like system) were bigger than the middle of their defense. Not a terrible move at short but center field may come back to bight you

You have no clue...seriously.

Wrong about basically everything.

But if you are a Yankee fan who gets off thinking the Red Sox are mean..racist..beneath you...or some such thing....then I am not changing you. "It doesnt matter they won it etc..we are classier than them. They sold Babe Ruth! Boston is racist!" Good stuff. Enjoy your fandom.

P.S. This Red Sox ownership has been in place for about 11 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hey, the Yankees were pretty bad about integrating too. But, except for my opinion about Ells, the rest are facts. I don't hate the Sox but if you don't think race was an issue in Boston in the 1970s you are probably too young to know better. He was the only black player on the team. He was not treated like Lynne and Yaz. And he was awesome.
I don't think today's Red Sox are racists. I do think race made Jim Rice's life and career in Boston in the 1970s difficult.
I think the Red Sox management is very good. And I have a theory that they might have just gotten a little too cute by half.

I don't love Brian Cashman (think he has been a mixed bag). Love my Yankees.

But to get back to where we started: YES the Sox and their fans have a history of being tough on some players. You probably don't know that part of why they wanted to dump Ruth was because he was too much trouble. The owner said his 29 homers (I assume while still pitching) were more of a distraction than a benefit. That when Sullivan traded/ let walk Burrelson, Lynne and Fisk, he said "We came in fourth place with them, we could come in 4th place without them". That he bragged that he would have had to pay Fisk big money in arbitration and then, the next year in free agency so he got rid of him in one shot. Finally, the fans were all over both Williams and Yastremski before they warmed to them. Wade Boggs was also dropped by the Sox.

But other than the those mentioned above and the way they turned on Clemons, Tiante, Damon, they have been great to their stars.

Reaction Score
Is this reply serious? Mau have you changed handles and are busting my balls as David 76? No way this is for real...anywho just to play along...

A few clarifications/corrections...

Rice was the only black on the Sox in the 70s? Off top of my head can think of Luis Tiant, Juan Beniquez, George Scott, Cecil Cooper, Reggie Smith, Rogelio Moret, Fergie Jenkins, Juan Marichal, Bob Watson, Ben Oglivie.....I'm sure others. And what is your basis for claiming Rice had it tough because he was black ? Fans loved him. Was a Sox his whole career. Became a coach for them. Now an announcer for NESN. Had his number retired by the team. He was supposedly gruff with the media, like Eddie Murray was, but other than hearing that....no idea what you are talking about.

Salary arbitration did not exist in 1981 when Fisk and Lynn became free agents and left after the front office screwed up and mailed their contracts two days late. The arbitration you read about was a grievance arbitration over whether or not they were free agents when the Sox screwed up sending the contracts late which an arbitrator ruled they were. White Sox and Angels gave them huge money and they left. Like when Cano left you and Ellsbury left us. Nothing more to it than that. Comments made by management to their disappointed fans after losing good players should be ignored.

Red Sox never turned on Tiant. Always a hero....strangely even after going to NY. And amazingly enough apparently...even though he is a black guy. They turned on Boggs, Clemens, Damon and now Ellsbury because they signed with the enemy. Had they signed with Seattle or whoever....no big deal. Trot Nixon signed with Cleveland and got a hero's welcome on his return. Same with Tom Brunansky and others who left to places not NY.

And back to the original post that got this BS started...I praised Ellsbury and you responded by claiming Ellsbury was another case of Sox management being unfair to its players by not signing him. And then you said he was treated unfairly the same way Rice, Ruth, and Fisk were....which is just making stuff up. I call absolute BS on all and still do. They made the judgment not to give Ellsbury 8/150 or whatever you gave him....likely after having to eat the Crawford deal. Just like the Yankees chose not to give Cano 10/200 or whatever he got....likely in part reacting to the bad ARod deal. Neither team were unfair to their former player....which you claimed the Sox were by not signing Ellsbury. And is BS.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think Red Sox fans are evil or racist or anything else. To be honest, I do find an unhealthy portion of them to be whiny and defensive. Yankee fans don't hang out in Red Sox threads looking for a reason to fight. It is the same old thing like you guys whined about our payroll when yours was second highest.

Anything I stated above is true. I did not say Rice was the only black player in the 1970s. But yes he was the only black player on the team. I'm not arguing with you. You can look it up. But I won't drag this out.
You have a great team to cheer for and so do I.
I think the Red Sox and their fans have been tough on some of their good players. You think I'm an a$$ho!e who hasn't said one thing that is correct.
I don't get it. Sorry this happened.
David

Reaction Score
The players I listed above were black players on the Red Sox in the 1970s.

Reaction Score
Here's a hint to NY fans. If a player left your team for our team while they were in their prime, your fanbase would lustily boo them upon their return.
Hell you guys dump beer on Cliff Lee's wife just because he's pitching for Texas against you in the playoffs. Lets not act like there's a lot of class and mental clarity in the Bronx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom