XL Center Makeover Comes With Hefty Price Tag | Page 5 | The Boneyard

XL Center Makeover Comes With Hefty Price Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't the deal breaker have something to do with the height of the buildings? Talk about looking for a reason to be incompetent.
I don't remember exactly what it was...but she is enemy #1 out on the Island.

Reaction Score
Didn't the deal breaker have something to do with the height of the buildings? Talk about looking for a reason to be incompetent.

Not exactly sure, I'm not from LI,'but it was a ill timed referendum vote involving the new arena costs and most folks saw it as a $27 dollar per household tax increase and not looking at it as saving the isles at the time. Too bad their taxes are going up because the isles left. Kate Murray is the bitc hes name

Current events: this is turning into an isles thread
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...-to-last-in-nhl-so-far-this-season-1.11134940

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I stopped reading at the point where you believed the Devils were at the BU-UConn game because they're scouting the arena/location to move to.

I actually heard from another source that the Devils had people in town talking to the state. It makes zero sense to me either but I did hear it from a decent source.

Reaction Score
Not exactly sure, I'm not from LI,'but it was a ill timed referendum vote involving the new arena costs and most folks saw it as a $27 dollar per household tax increase and not looking at it as saving the isles at the time. Too bad their taxes are going up because the isles left. Kate Murray is the bitc hes name

Current events: this is turning into an isles thread
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...-to-last-in-nhl-so-far-this-season-1.11134940
To be honest..most of the Town of Hempstead is a s**thole. The Islanders leaving aren't the only reason taxes are going up out there...they have lost a ton of business too.

Reaction Score
I actually heard from another source that the Devils had people in town talking to the state. It makes zero sense to me either but I did hear it from a decent source.

So it wasn't just me??? Thank you for backing up my rumor claim...
I'm thinking AHL team cause they only have 1 year lease in Albany and Wolfpack could be done this year. Devils AHL teams ruin markets so I'm not too keen on them possibly moving here. Just speculating.

Reaction Score

The Devils a relatively new (2007) arena in the Rock that is located in the country's largest TV. Though Newark is a tough town, downtown is OK and its relative easy to get in and out of by car and it has direct access to both rail (Amtrak & NJ transit) and Subway (PATH). The team is not great this year; but are still drawing 13,600 on average per game (area capacity 16,500) in a state that has decent hockey roots. Their only downside is that NYC is a Rangers town and MSG is literally a 20 minute subway ride away. Thus, they are not moving to Hartford.

I suspect any talk between Hartford and the Devils has to do with the AHL shuffling going on right now with, from what I have heard, talk of the Islanders moving their AHL franchise from Bridgeport to the renovated and downsized Nassau Coliseum in 2017, which then may attract the Rangers to move their club to Bridgeport, which is already filled with Rangers fans. Thus, the Devils may took to compare Albany to Hartford.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Devils a relatively new (2007) arena in the Rock that is located in the country's largest TV. Though Newark is a tough town, downtown is OK and its relative easy to get in and out of by car and it has direct access to both rail (Amtrak & NJ transit) and Subway (PATH). The team is not great this year; but are still drawing 13,600 on average per game (area capacity 16,500) in a state that has decent hockey roots. Their only downside is that NYC is a Rangers town and MSG is literally a 20 minute subway ride away. Thus, they are not moving to Hartford.

I suspect any talk between Hartford and the Devils has to do with the AHL shuffling going on right now with, from what I have heard, talk of the Islanders moving their AHL franchise from Bridgeport to the renovated and downsized Nassau Coliseum in 2017, which then may attract the Rangers to move their club to Bridgeport, which is already filled with Rangers fans. Thus, the Devils may took to compare Albany to Hartford.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

That makes sense. It went in one ear and out the other when I heard it and had completely forgotten until I saw the post here.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sightlines. It was built as a basketball-only arena, thus the structure of the seating bowl is centered around only a basketball court, instead of the 200x85 hockey rink. Therefore, when they rig a hockey rink in there, they have to push into the seating bowl to do it, creating a large number of horribly obstructed view seats. Like this: https://snyislanders.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/photo-2-2.jpg
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nhl/blog/061813_barclays.jpg

Wow, those are some atrocious sightlines. Reminds me of Phoenix...

731+Jun.+14+12.38.jpg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hartford is just not a major league city.. period... Don't plan on the NHL coming back, there just isn't the interest... Sad to say, but the Whale didn't draw that well and their contract with the state was the worst... Ask yourself this.. all things being equal, Quebec and Hartford are up for a team.. Which city will support its team better... no contest.. Quebec gets the team. Everyone here is bitching about football attendance at the UConn games.. If there's a bad team in the ice in Hartford, no one is going... I hate to say it, but it's the truth.. I would be a season tix holder, but I would be one of about 5,000.. maybe.
It wasn't attendance that was the problem. It was a crappy TV contract combined with the expenses and lack of revenue from concessions splits that caused Karmanos to gaze toward Carolina. I still hate him and have never recovered as an NHL fan once the Whale left.

Reaction Score
If they don't build the $250 million new XL Center now, then they will spend $350 million to do it 5 -10 years from now.

Do it now, save money and let's REVIVE HARTFORD!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they renovate an old building with a poor concept for the $250 million new XL Center now, then they will spend $500 million to replace it 5 -10 years from now.

Think before you act, save money and let's REVIVE HARTFORD's finances!

Reaction Score
If they renovate an old building with a poor concept for the $250 million new XL Center now, then they will spend $500 million to replace it 5 -10 years from now.

Think before you act, save money and let's REVIVE HARTFORD's finances!
State money

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There is absolutely no way that spending $250M to refurbish a dump of arena will do anything to revitalize downtown Hartford.

How can they even begin to justify that when every study has indicated building a sports arena has no impact on local economics.

Also if you're going to blow $250M on a half assed measure that still will need to replaced in the not so distant future,just go all in and build a new state of the art building.

Reaction Score
;);););)
There is absolutely no way that spending $250M to refurbish a dump of arena will do anything to revitalize downtown Hartford.

How can they even begin to justify that when every study has indicated building a sports arena has no impact on local economics.

Also if you're going to blow $250M on a half assed measure that still will need to replaced in the not so distant future,just go all in and build a new state of the art building.

How much would it cost to increase the size of the rent, build a retractable dome, close the sides and heat the place? Would it cost more than 250m? It would revitalize east Hartford! ;):p:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

All signs points to relocating a team to Quebec and expanding in Seattle and Vegas. This solves the unbalanced conference sizes and puts a team back in Canada where it will undoubtedly be a rousing success. Quebec just opened a brand spanking new arena a couple of months ago that's set and ready to go for an NHL team.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Quebec losing its franchise is one of the greatest NHL injustices in the history of the league. Le Colissee was sold out even in the 6-win campaign seasons. The Nordiques moved to Denver right when they became an elite team for years after trading for Patrick Roy. I'll be excited to see a team back in Quebec. To be honest, I feel that Quebec should have gotten a team back before Winnipeg but whatever - at least Canada is being properly replenished with franchises.

Reaction Score
Quebec losing its franchise is one of the greatest NHL injustices in the history of the league. Le Colissee was sold out even in the 6-win campaign seasons. The Nordiques moved to Denver right when they became an elite team for years after trading for Patrick Roy. I'll be excited to see a team back in Quebec. To be honest, I feel that Quebec should have gotten a team back before Winnipeg but whatever - at least Canada is being properly replenished with franchises.

Minneapolis losing the North Stars to Dallas was also a huge mistake along with putting teams in Atlanta (twice), S Florida, Phoenix, and soon to be Las Vegas.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Minneapolis losing the North Stars to Dallas was also a huge mistake along with putting teams in Atlanta (twice), S Florida, Phoenix, and soon to be Las Vegas.

Atlanta and Miami are two of the worst sports markets in the U.S. They barely support football and baseball; putting a northern sport in both of those cities falls under desperately wishful thinking. Would love to see the Panthers relocate to Quebec.

Minnesota struggled with attendance before their move to Dallas but their image was saved during their Cup run in the final season. Everyone remembered what a sold-out arena felt like in Minneapolis and there was a rush to get their franchise back. Not to mention, it's probably the richest hockey area in the U.S. that produces top talent on annual basis. I'm happy they have a team again for sure.

Reaction Score

I think Quebec will get a team, but I think the NHL is still scared of the loonie and its ties to volatile oil markets. Right now, the loonie is @ 75 cents to the American dollar. So 1.00 US dollar is now 1.33 Canadian.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

All NHL players salaries are in US dollars, so a good chunk of the NHL budget for Canadian teams is paid in US dollars.

Plus the 500 million expansion fee is now 640 million Canadian.
I know quebecor will probably have no problem paying it, but I could see the NHL being reserved about a mostly French speaking region even smaller than Hartford.

I think a return to Hartford would "grow the game" more than returning to Quebec.
In all 50'us states, I think Americans would be happier to see the whale return compared to the nordiques. Just my biased opinion

Reaction Score
I think Quebec will get a team, but I think the NHL is still scared of the loonie and its ties to volatile oil markets. Right now, the loonie is @ 75 cents to the American dollar. So 1.00 US dollar is now 1.33 Canadian.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

All NHL players salaries are in US dollars, so a good chunk of the NHL budget for Canadian teams is paid in US dollars.

Plus the 500 million expansion fee is now 640 million Canadian.
I know quebecor will probably have no problem paying it, but I could see the NHL being reserved about a mostly French speaking region even smaller than Hartford.

I think a return to Hartford would "grow the game" more than returning to Quebec.
In all 50'us states, I think Americans would be happier to see the whale return compared to the nordiques. Just my biased opinion
Except CT apparently

Reaction Score
Except CT apparently

Yes, that's what sucks. I think our typical CT/New England realism/cynicism/pessisimism is holding us back. Yes, we need to look at reality and not "pie in the sky", but why not support it? I'm all about drumming up support. Instead, ALL we hear is naysayers and "NEVER gonna happen", but I'll be the 1st to buy ST if it does. "Or, I'll believe when I see it"

So, we really don't know what it would be like if they came back. Could it be like Winnipeg? Maybe, but doubt it. I doubt it would be like Carolina or Florida. We still showed up with crappy teams... Ours was REAL turnstile attendance, NOT tickets sold like today.
Whalers: .438 3/18 seasons above .500
Carolina: .514 10/18 seasons above .500
Coyotes : .515 12/19 seasons above .500

Hartford:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=6045

Carolina:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5154

Coyotes:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7450

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, that's what sucks. I think our typical CT/New England realism/cynicism/pessisimism is holding us back. Yes, we need to look at reality and not "pie in the sky", but why not support it? I'm all about drumming up support. Instead, ALL we hear is naysayers and "NEVER gonna happen", but I'll be the 1st to buy ST if it does. "Or, I'll believe when I see it"

So, we really don't know what it would be like if they came back. Could it be like Winnipeg? Maybe, but doubt it. I doubt it would be like Carolina or Florida. We still showed up with crappy teams... Ours was REAL turnstile attendance, NOT tickets sold like today.
Whalers: .438 3/18 seasons above .500
Carolina: .514 10/18 seasons above .500
Coyotes : .515 12/19 seasons above .500

Hartford:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=6045

Carolina:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=5154

Coyotes:
http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7450
It's pie in the sky because there are factors beyond ours and the state's control. The NHL brass does not want to come back to Hartford, there are a list of cities ahead of us, there is no suitable arena right now, and there are competing market teams in NYC and Boston who would very likely be against it. It's not like the situations in Quebec, Minnesota, and Winnipeg. They all did not have any of those problems.

I do believe they should build/redo an arena regardless, it's a good step for the city and to at least position themselves for a potential NHL team way down the line or if one of the current targets blows things up on their end. My preference would be to build a brand new one, perhaps in a different location. The renovation plans they have now seem to be a funding/construction delay disaster waiting to happen. Seeing how piss poor the state is at getting these kind of things done, there's no reason to believe there won't be major hiccups in the process.

Reaction Score
It's pie in the sky because there are factors beyond ours and the state's control. The NHL brass does not want to come back to Hartford, there are a list of cities ahead of us, there is no suitable arena right now, and there are competing market teams in NYC and Boston who would very likely be against it. It's not like the situations in Quebec, Minnesota, and Winnipeg. They all did not have any of those problems.

Boston and New York only hold a single vote as we fall outside of their territorial rights and Jeremy Jacobs has already been on record saying he'd welcome the Whalers back due to travel concerns.

I do believe they should build/redo an arena regardless, it's a good step for the city and to at least position themselves for a potential NHL team way down the line or if one of the current targets blows things up on their end. My preference would be to build a brand new one, perhaps in a different location. The renovation plans they have now seem to be a funding/construction delay disaster waiting to happen. Seeing how piss poor the state is at getting these kind of things done, there's no reason to believe there won't be major hiccups in the process.

The funding is a formality. It's voted on by the bond commission which is appointed by Gov. Malloy who is the one pushing the project forward, there's no referendum of any kind. Also I seem to remember the 2014 XL Center renovation went of without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom