WVU will beat Kentucky | The Boneyard

WVU will beat Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought Cincinatti would have one of the best shots of anyone due to their physical play and attitude, which held strong for most of the first half.

Reaction Score
Now that you made that prediction its not gonna happen, DOOOOOOOMEDDDDD!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I'll defer to the bball experts, but it seems like full court pressing UK allows a big, athletic team that struggles in the half court to run in the open court. Uconn did have some success pressuring the Harrison twins in the half court last year so they may be able to have success there. Wvu has an endless supply of guards who swarm you like flies.

Reaction Score
WVU has a lot of length and depth, their style of play will frustrate Kentucky, you're going to see some technical fouls by Kentucky.

Reaction Score
We know what that was like and it wasn't pretty.

Reaction Score
Hope they give them a battle. I won't get my hopes up, ok I feel a little better after Chuck's analysis lol.

Reaction Score
If Juwan Staten is still hobbled, they have no chance. He needs to score 20+ in this game.

Reaction Score
WVU has a lot of length and depth, their style of play will frustrate Kentucky, you're going to see some technical fouls by Kentucky.

UK's length dwarfs WVU's at pretty much every position except when Ulis is in at PG. I'm looking forward to the matchup because I think WVU's press and "foul on every possession" style of D will give UK some problems, but I see UK's size and talent winning at the end.

Reaction Score
UK's length dwarfs WVU's at pretty much every position except when Ulis is in at PG. I'm looking forward to the matchup because I think WVU's press and "foul on every possession" style of D will give UK some problems, but I see UK's size and talent winning at the end.
Same could've been said last year against us, although they didn't have towns, our guards were of the same pedigree as WVU's.

Reaction Score
Same could've been said last year against us, although they didn't have towns, our guards were of the same pedigree as WVU's.

UConn and UK were playing at pretty much the same level as the tournament wound down(as a collective whole, defensively UConn was better, offensively UK was better), obviously you can't say the same thing about where WVU and UK stand right now. Also, Bazz + EOY Boat>Stanten + Browne, I will be rooting for WVU, but this ain't the same situation people.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It also has to be said that WCS was out in the finals last season. They would have had a much better chance against us with him in the lineup - I remember Steve Kerr saying during the game last year that Kentucky basically switched all screens because they were so young and didn't know any other ways. WCS was one of the few in the country capable of switching onto the perimeter and defending a Napier or Boatright type, Dakari Johnson was like a fish on a deck trying to guard the pick-and-roll in that game.

Reaction Score
West Virginia KenPom Numbers:
axgB1XS.png

West Virginia is an interesting team in that they create so many extra possessions for themselves through forcing turnovers and crashing the offensive glass. In those areas they're absolutely elite. Due to their unique style, they have a better chance than Maryland did against Kentucky.

Kentucky is fairly good about not turning the ball over, but what makes WVU intriguing is that when they force turnovers or get offensive rebounds, it often leads to easy buckets. So in that sense, they could have more success scoring against Kentucky than most teams. If Kentucky can handle the pressure, though, it'll just lead to easy dunks for their athletic bigs and they should win the game handily. I'll be rooting for WVU to frustrate Kentucky and pull out the win.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
It also has to be said that WCS was out in the finals last season. They would have had a much better chance against us with him in the lineup - I remember Steve Kerr saying during the game last year that Kentucky basically switched all screens because they were so young and didn't know any other ways. WCS was one of the few in the country capable of switching onto the perimeter and defending a Napier or Boatright type, Dakari Johnson was like a fish on a deck trying to guard the pick-and-roll in that game.

There's some truth to that, but Kentucky only really went on their run after WCS got hurt. Before that they had been mediocre all year, and I'm not sure they get to the finals without his injury. Not a slight on WCS - just that the extra inspiration (they always thought maybe he'd be able to return the next game if they could win one more for him), plus maybe players buckling down and not relying on him to cover for everyone defensively, etc. was part of what fueled their run. No way to ever know of course.

Reaction Score
There's some truth to that, but Kentucky only really went on their run after WCS got hurt. Before that they had been mediocre all year, and I'm not sure they get to the finals without his injury. Not a slight on WCS - just that the extra inspiration (they always thought maybe he'd be able to return the next game if they could win one more for him), plus maybe players buckling down and not relying on him to cover for everyone defensively, etc. was part of what fueled their run. No way to ever know of course.

If I'm remembering correctly, he got hurt during the Louisville game (what stage of the game I do not know), so although you're correct that they beat Michigan and Wisconsin without him, the wheels were sort of in motion beforehand with a win over undefeated Wichita State.

Also, I think the match-ups were more favorable against Michigan and Wisconsin, which allowed them to survive. Wisconsin, especially, ran a motion-based offense that relied less on ball-handlers making plays in space and more on misdirection and flex action. Michigan fans are still having nightmares of Marcus Lee jumping over their frontline for put back dunks. It's possible that you're right, though, and that we draw a different opponent Monday night if the pins fall differently. One thing I'll say in UConn's defense - not that they need any - is that Boat and Daniels going to the bench with foul trouble probably played a bigger role in the game than the presence of WCS would have. I'm biased, but I think UConn was better.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your analysis that sees you picking the undefeated #1 greatest team of all time(?)

Anyways, the only team that has the talent to possibly beat Kentucky while playing their style is Arizona. I think it's a joke when people compare this Kentucky team to some of the great teams in history, but there's only 1 team that can beat Kentucky running up and down the floor and WVU isn't that team.

Reaction Score
I see Bellevue restored your internet privileges, I'll be on standby waiting for your next internet mental breakdown, its only a matter of time.

Thanks for your analysis that sees you picking the undefeated #1 greatest team of all time(?)

Anyways, the only team that has the talent to possibly beat Kentucky while playing their style is Arizona. I think it's a joke when people compare this Kentucky team to some of the great teams in history, but there's only 1 team that can beat Kentucky running up and down the floor and WVU isn't that team.

Reaction Score
I think that having more time to prepare for the matchup and WVU's press will favor Kentucky unfortunately.

Reaction Score
If you want to see UK lose don't make these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom