WTF, Brimah on Bench as We Get Shredded | The Boneyard

WTF, Brimah on Bench as We Get Shredded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeez, I'm finally breathing again but confess I was stunned with our strategy.
It was virtually layup practice for the final 8 minutes. I didn't understand why Brimah at least didn't sub in on D with all the opportunities with the foul shots.

"No better place to plant seeds than in a garden"

Elite 8

Reaction Score
Because Brimah's man was eating him up when he was in. Brimah couldn't cover their guy, Giffey was the best option.

Reaction Score
Brimah was getting eaten alive on drives from the foul line. Smart strategy by IS.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
KO wanted all FT shooters on the floor at all times, I guess.

Reaction Score
Exactly right. Went small to protect the three and for free throws. 20-22 for 91%.

defend the 3 and pretty much not put a body in the paint? first half brimah shot blocking was altering ISU shots hence why they missed so many layups

Reaction Score
you go small to defend the 3 point line, Iowa St made the decision to go for 2s since they were getting run off the 3 point line. You would've liked to have seen more resistance on the drives but with the way we were knocking down free throws they weren't going to make any headway trading 2 for 2.

Reaction Score
Ollie wanted to trade baskets.

He had house money (16 points) and time on his side. He trusted his best offensive line up to seal the deal.

Beautiful played by KO. He won.

Reaction Score
It was tough to watch the lay up line but we are
Money on the stripe.

Reaction Score
We traded points. That being said would have been nice to have played some semblance of D. Survive and advance

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"We won" isn't an answer that explains or justifies the refusal to play any defense whatsoever with a lead and a few minutes on the clock. It's not just this game. I get that it's a 5- or 6-point game rather than a 3- or 4-point game, but you're still an errant inbounds away from allowing basically a 4-point possession.

Thrilled beyond thrilled with the final score but I am not pleased with that strategy. It's a recipe for disaster.

Note that the ONE TIME when someone (Giffey) challenged a shot near the rim, Kane missed two FTs. At the very least, you have to make the other team use more than 5 seconds to score.

Reaction Score
It wasn't the lack of Brimah that caused the Iowa St. to score like that, it was the lack of anyone (with the exception of Giffey..sometimes..) playing defense. That lineup he had in should have defended Iowa St. better than the one with Brimah in it. They had adjusted and were forcing Brimah to guard on the perimeter, so this was Ollie's adjustment.

I'd wager that if we hadn't had such a huge lead, the guys would have had more focus on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Funny how people don't allow the "obvious" question despite the win? We were awful stopping the ball and securing the rim……..should have cruised to a W instead had to be real good front he FT line…….hoops 101 stop the fn ball!!!

Agree with dog pause should have protected the rim but hey, win is a win right?

Reaction Score
They scored 2 points every 5-10 seconds. Trying to make me stroke out I guess!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Brimah needed to have a breather sooner or later. I'm just surprised Nolan didn't go in for him. I won't criticize it too much because it worked out for the best, but that was one of the more unusual game plans I've witnessed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It was a comedy of errors for a little bit. Giffey went for a steal about 15 seconds too late in the back court that lead to an easy bucket. They got some fortunate bounces too.

Reaction Score
Ollie wanted guys in who can handle the ball during the press and knock down FTs.

Also, the concern was giving up 3s, not 2s, the strategy was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom