Wtf are the Patriots doing? | The Boneyard

Wtf are the Patriots doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why did Brady take a pay cut? oh ya, to sign better players. Now lets look at who they've signed. Hooman. One of these least productive TE's on offense (because he mainly blocks). Now lets look at who they have let walk away...Welker, Edelman, and Talib. 2 of those guys went to their only legit threat in the AFC. Thats just disrespectful to Brady to have him take a pay cut and then let every good player go because they are too cheap to sign them.

Reaction Score
Brady is an idiot if he took another pay cut so Kraft could sign good players. Kraft has a history of not keeping his word.

Reaction Score
Letting Welker go is still beyond baffling. He basically signed for "real good placekicker money" with a rival. I can see if Denver gave him $50 mill and NE did not think it was worth it. But it was not that....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What should they do? Free agency just opened. The Broncos are nuts for the deal they gave Talib. Edelman was as good as Welker, so that proved the right move. Besides, Welker rejected more from the Pats than he accepted from Denver, so leaving is on him. Dobson is going to be very good once healthy. They need DL more than anything, and a corner with size. They will draft a TE to go with Gronk.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Well, going to Revis Island for one thing.

Reaction Score
Letting Welker go is still beyond baffling. He basically signed for "real good placekicker money" with a rival. I can see if Denver gave him $50 mill and NE did not think it was worth it. But it was not that....

And Belechick is still a baby about it………Edelman was good but he's not Welker and he may leave too……...

Reaction Score
Ahhhh, my Jets nightmare continues with Revis (one of my top 3 favorite Jets of all time) now on the Patriots.

There are SO many things that bounce off me like a battered wife who gets numb to the beatings. The ButtFumble, Rex's tattoo, the foot video of Rex's wife, Geno Smith sending dicky pics. These things come and go and I don't even bat an eyelash anymore. Then.....something like this happens.

Reaction Score
We do have to beat the Jets, at least. I can't believe there's still Jets fans.

Reaction Score
What should they do? Free agency just opened. The Broncos are nuts for the deal they gave Talib. Edelman was as good as Welker, so that proved the right move. Besides, Welker rejected more from the Pats than he accepted from Denver, so leaving is on him. Dobson is going to be very good once healthy. They need DL more than anything, and a corner with size. They will draft a TE to go with Gronk.

Edelman replaced Welker in terms of production but what about the Amendola signing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Edelman replaced Welker in terms of production but what about the Amendola signing.

Are you talking about Welker? There were credible reports that Welker's agent took a very hard stand and refused to negotiate off of a position that was more money and more years than Amendola got. The Patriots wouldn't pay that for him, nor would anybody else. So they moved to plan B. Welker, having screwed himself, signed for less than what NE offered with Denver. Aging slot receivers need a reality check as to their value, and Edelman is the same this year. Apart from Green, Thomas, Johnson and a few others, there aren't any receivers worth big money.

Amendola was hurt much of the year, and is taller and faster than Welker, with good hands. I think you'll see him have a great year this year, and Dobson too.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about Welker? There were credible reports that Welker's agent took a very hard stand and refused to negotiate off of a position that was more money and more years than Amendola got. The Patriots wouldn't pay that for him, nor would anybody else. So they moved to plan B. Welker, having screwed himself, signed for less than what NE offered with Denver. Aging slot receivers need a reality check as to their value, and Edelman is the same this year. Apart from Green, Thomas, Johnson and a few others, there aren't any receivers worth big money.

Amendola was hurt much of the year, and is taller and faster than Welker, with good hands. I think you'll see him have a great year this year, and Dobson too.

Amendola can't hold Welker's jock and only a shunned Pats fan would think he could……"……was hurt most of the year"? That's something new with him? He averages about 8-10 games a year so as fast and tall he is he's not as tough!

I agree though in slot receivers, they get killed and anything can happen. Remember Steve Smith with the Giants after 2 tremendous seasons with Eli the Giants let him go to the Eagles and we as fans wondered wtf they were doing……..they were right, he was done!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Amendola can't hold Welker's jock and only a shunned Pats fan would think he could……"……was hurt most of the year"? That's something new with him? He averages about 8-10 games a year so as fast and tall he is he's not as tough!

I agree though in slot receivers, they get killed and anything can happen. Remember Steve Smith with the Giants after 2 tremendous seasons with Eli the Giants let him go to the Eagles and we as fans wondered wtf they were doing……..they were right, he was done!

I have little doubt that Amendola will have more catches and yards than Welker next year. Welker was a nobody with Miami who happened to see defenses the same way Brady does. He has more value to the Pats than to anybody else, and both sides should have recognized it. But they certainly shouldn't have given him the contract he asked for.

Reaction Score
I have little doubt that Amendola will have more catches and yards than Welker next year. Welker was a nobody with Miami who happened to see defenses the same way Brady does. He has more value to the Pats than to anybody else, and both sides should have recognized it. But they certainly shouldn't have given him the contract he asked for.

You do realize that there's evidence to show that, once you've been injured, you are more likely to be injured again and that likelihood continues to increase with each injury after that, right? Each time Amendola gets hurt, he's more and more likely to get hurt again, compounding the wear and tear and racking up the overall pain he'll need to play through.

There is very, very little chance Amendola comes close to putting up the numbers you think he's capable of.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You do realize that there's evidence to show that, once you've been injured, you are more likely to be injured again and that likelihood continues to increase with each injury after that, right? Each time Amendola gets hurt, he's more and more likely to get hurt again, compounding the wear and tear and racking up the overall pain he'll need to play through.

There is very, very little chance Amendola comes close to putting up the numbers you think he's capable of.

So we should forget about Revis being any good then? Brady seemed to come back after missing a season.

Reaction Score
So we should forget about Revis being any good then? Brady seemed to come back after missing a season.

A torn ACL is way different then being nicked up, the Pats signed Amendola off of potential, they got luck with Welker and are hoping the same for Amendola. How often will we keep hear how well Amendola will play as opposed to how he is playing. Even Tedy Bruschi was saying that the Pats should let Edelman go and how they can't sign him because they messed up on the Amendola signing.

Reaction Score

I guess I'd ask you. Do you think that a cornerback's reliance on general speed, lateral speed, cutting and sharp movements is different than a pocket passer QB?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I guess I'd ask you. Do you think that a cornerback's reliance on general speed, lateral speed, cutting and sharp movements is different than a pocket passer QB?
Of course. But Revis played last year, and played well. Amendola had a groin injury, nothing major, but a nagging injury slow to heal. The real issue is that it limited his practice time with Brady.

Reaction Score
WTF are the Patriots doing? Not much, just adding depth to the receiving core and revamping the secondary with a pro bowler and an all time great. With these moves, and the loss of Talib, they are + a third round compensatory pick at this point too. If Patriots fans haven't learned to step back and wait until the dust settles after the first few days of free agency, then I don't know what to tell them.

Reaction Score
WTF are the Patriots doing? Not much, just adding depth to the receiving core and revamping the secondary with a pro bowler and an all time great. With these moves, and the loss of Talib, they are + a third round compensatory pick at this point too. If Patriots fans haven't learned to step back and wait until the dust settles after the first few days of free agency, then I don't know what to tell them.
i meant to say this as soon as we got Revis, i redact my original statement. Belichick proved everyone wrong by getting browner and edelman back. And hopefully Lafell can contribute to the offense

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Only question now is DL. Vince asked for his release. My prediction is that BB is shopping the free agent DTs, and if he can land one he considers acceptable at a good price, he will either cut Vince or let Vince negotiate with other teams and try to trade him. Unlike Revis, Vince only carries a 7.5M cap hit if he's traded. The Pats have to take the pro-rated bonus hit anyway I believe.

Reaction Score
Only question now is DL. Vince asked for his release. My prediction is that BB is shopping the free agent DTs, and if he can land one he considers acceptable at a good price, he will either cut Vince or let Vince negotiate with other teams and try to trade him. Unlike Revis, Vince only carries a 7.5M cap hit if he's traded. The Pats have to take the pro-rated bonus hit anyway I believe.

Vince is an emotional guy and one who is steeped in principles. I wonder which will win out? Will the emotion of being asked to restructure subside and he sees this as a viable option for a 2nd ring or does he stick to his guns and get released (and get no where near the money he'd get staying in NE)? I think he, Kelly, Jones, and a solid guy to split time with Ninkovich and the young, cheap back ups already on the roster would be as formidable a DL as they've had since the Seymour/Wilfork/Warren lines of the mid 2000's.

Reaction Score
Vince is an emotional guy and one who is steeped in principles. I wonder which will win out? Will the emotion of being asked to restructure subside and he sees this as a viable option for a 2nd ring or does he stick to his guns and get released (and get no where near the money he'd get staying in NE)? I think he, Kelly, Jones, and a solid guy to split time with Ninkovich and the young, cheap back ups already on the roster would be as formidable a DL as they've had since the Seymour/Wilfork/Warren lines of the mid 2000's.
how does everyone forget that Sealver Siliga had a great season for wayyy less money than Vince and he is basically the same weight and height

Reaction Score
how does everyone forget that Sealver Siliga had a great season for wayyy less money than Vince and he is basically the same weight and height

I don't think anyone is saying he isn't a good fit or he can't do the job but he doesn't command double teams like Wilfork. Having him and Jones as young, cheap back ups and partial-fill-ins is great team building.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't blame Vince. He outperformed his original contract by a ton and the Pats never gave him credit for that. He's earned every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom