Would not watch WCBB without UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would not watch WCBB without UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been WCBB lover since the 80's. Saw Teresa Witherspoon at LaTech. Really became addicted during the 90's. Loved Stanford's Jamila Wideman, et al. Kate Starbird was an absolute killer. That was back when the big three were, LaTech, Stanford, and Tennesse . Does anyone remember was last Old Dominion power house team? I loved Ticha Penicheiro. There's also North Carolina's Charlotte Smith. She hit the buzzer-beater against LaTech in 94. Marion Jones was the point guard on that team. UConn has long been #1 in my heart. Come on though, Jackie Stiles was an absolute scoring machine at MVU. Lastly, does anyone remember the Michigan State team that vaulted JPM to the championship in 2005? I'm simply addicted. There is no cure.

Reaction Score
Been WCBB lover since the 80's. Saw Teresa Witherspoon at LaTech. Really became addicted during the 90's. Loved Stanford's Jamila Wideman, et al. Kate Starbird was an absolute killer. That was back when the big three were, LaTech, Stanford, and Tennesse . Does anyone remember was last Old Dominion power house team? I loved Ticha Penicheiro. There's also North Carolina's Charlotte Smith. She hit the buzzer-beater against LaTech in 94. Marion Jones was the point guard on that team. UConn has long been #1 in my heart. Come on though, Jackie Stiles was an absolute scoring machine at MVU. Lastly, does anyone remember the Michigan State team that vaulted JPM to the championship in 2005? I'm simply addicted. There is no cure.
I agreed with all of this. Remember all those players !!! I refereed women's BB in the old AIAW days and some at Storrs for Wanda Flora and Sarah Hamm and even Jean Balthauser before Geno came. In those days Southern CT was the big team in NE and went to several final fours. Glad to here fro someone addicted. There is NO CURE. Bob

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
WTFan~

I go back even further than that to Carol Blazejowski and her Montclair State team terrorizing the AIAW. Anne Donovan was the conerstone of that ODU team, she was Brittany Griner before Brittany Griner, at 6'8". I remember Lucy Harris and her Delta State team shocking the world. Cheryl Miller, the best female player 'EVER' (Sorry Uconn fans its not DT3)taking USC back-to-back with help from the McGhee Twins. Swoopes dropping 47 on my beloved Buckeyes in the 93 NC Game. Immaculata College, the first dynasty, making a mockery of the AIAW and then other teams finally catching up. Then there is the precision and elegance of the Lady Huskies, I watch them just to revel in their greatness year after year and though the cast changes the results never do. Kiah and KML will be gone but a new crop will step up and replace them with equal efficiency, it really is marvelous to watch. Maybe next year when they're healthy KMitch and the Lady Buckeyes will give them a game, but I doubt it.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I watch many other games even now. While no team matches the caliber of UConn, I still enjoy a close game.

Have always been a fan of wbb first.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Here's where I'm at with WCBB. UConn is light years ahead of every other team. They don't foul. They don't turn the ball over. They are disciplined. They are unselfish. They execute plays on both sides of the ball. Because of these attributes they blow teams out. I hear fans saying how can you watch UConn they win every game by a landside. I can watch them because of how they play the game.

I remember when we used to say wow we're beating everybody by double digits. Do you realize that we are beating teams by 20+ almost every nite. St Johns and ND we beat by 18. Everybody else by more then that. Let me ask how can any team think they will win the NC with UConn winning by such a large margin. They cant. They can dream and that's it. Playing UConn is a reality check. Tonites game in Florida is going to be the same thing.

I remember when I used to say UConn wont lose and opponents laughed. They don't any more. Re read my first paragraph and those attributes tell it all. There is no team in WCBB that have those attributes and that's why UConn is so good. They reason they stay so good is because of Geno.

Reaction Score
I was there that day at the then Hartford Civic Center,as I recall a thorough thrashing was administered by the Spartans (of JPM) !

Reaction Score
I have felt that way for years. I blame UConn.
You are so right. UConn spoils us because after watching them play the way they do, just about everyone else comes up short. The only team that comes close is Notre Dame.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do find that I watch almost exclusively Uconn games because when I start watching other 'interesting' games, I get so frustrated with generally bad basketball. Watching ND, Stanford, and a few other teams that play good team ball is fun if the opponent isn't too much into rugby, but the games like SC/KY where no one can shoot, and it becomes a progression to the foul line is really hard to take.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I feel the same way. I am a WBB fan in general. I will attend Minnesota Gopher Women's basketball games. I will watch WBB games on TV or stream games from overseas. Heck I have been following Northern Arizona and Montana St WBB programs for the last 6 years! Plus I coach high school girls (JV) basketball. I have been a fan of WBB since I watched my first game back in 1982. I was 12 years old. I just love WBB and basketball in general. I am just a huge fan.
Ok - I have to ask - Northern AZ and Montana State???? I'm not a Big Sky fan in general, but Northern Arizona has some games televised on FSAZ and I have watched them a few times in previous seasons. Meh. And I'm not being a snob - watching Arizona can be very hard, as well.

Reaction Score
Here's where I'm at with WCBB. UConn is light years ahead of every other team. They don't foul. They don't turn the ball over. They are disciplined. They are unselfish. They execute plays on both sides of the ball. Because of these attributes they blow teams out. I hear fans saying how can you watch UConn they win every game by a landside. I can watch them because of how they play the game.

I remember when we used to say wow we're beating everybody by double digits. Do you realize that we are beating teams by 20+ almost every nite. St Johns and ND we beat by 18. Everybody else by more then that. Let me ask how can any team think they will win the NC with UConn winning by such a large margin. They cant. They can dream and that's it. Playing UConn is a reality check. Tonites game in Florida is going to be the same thing.

I remember when I used to say UConn wont lose and opponents laughed. They don't any more. Re read my first paragraph and those attributes tell it all. There is no team in WCBB that have those attributes and that's why UConn is so good. They reason they stay so good is because of Geno.

Except Stanford...

(ducking)

Reaction Score
I only watch a few minutes of the game of UConn's next opponent, usually that is all I can take. The SC -UK games was almost unwatchable?

Reaction Score
I only watch a few minutes of the game of UConn's next opponent, usually that is all I can take. The SC -UK games was almost unwatchable?
That describes most SEC games. It's not an SEC game unless it ends 54-46 with 40 free throw attempts of which both teams will miss half of anyway.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I like watching the other (non-UConn) games and the other conferences... At least when watching them, there are some competitive games...

What I don't like is the verbiage used by the P5 conferences by their paid announcers... How good their conferences are; how good the players are; how good the coaching is... Yada, yada, yada... Too much hype and spin... Sometimes I just turn off the sound and watch rather than listen...

Reaction Score
What I don't like is the verbiage used by the P5 conferences by their paid announcers... How good their conferences are; how good the players are; how good the coaching is... Yada, yada, yada... Too much hype and spin...
I'm with you on this. That's what annoys me the most - the way the media can singlehandedly make a conference the bestest mostest greatest basketball conference ever. Meanwhile we are told constantly throughout our games how terrible our conference is. I guess the SEC and ACC teams are better and have better players because if we're told that enough times it becomes true?

JS

Reaction Score
I've always latched onto a favorite team in each of the major sports and would rarely watch a game involving two other teams. Partisanship seems to be an essential motivator in my sports experience.

So that's the case with UConn as well. I'm one of those who'll watch two other teams for a while, but only if one of them is of interest as a potential UConn rival.

Not that anyone asked, but my allegiances have gone something like this:
  • Ohio State football, from my earliest recollections. Parents met as students there. Dad an olympic-class track athlete and captain of the team. Mom the real football fan, always. In her mid-nineties she would lie in bed watching the games and occasionally, when an opposing running back would break loose, she'd sit up and start yelling "Stop him! Stop him!"
  • Brooklyn Dodgers, Boys of Summer. We lived in NYS then. Liked (and still like) to root for the underdog -- although my teams generally were/are successful at one time or another. Anyway, was very happy when the Dodgers beat the Yanks in the Series.
  • My own college and law school university football and basketball teams, attended most games, but only remained a close follower of the teams while there.
  • NY Mets, talk about liking the underdog. Was a National League fan, so when the Bums and Jints went West, I switched to the Amazin's. They were terrible and lovable.
  • Then they started to get good. Perplexing. Remember a fellow fan wondering out loud in Seaver's rookie year, "Will the Mets spoil Tom Seaver, or will Seaver spoil the Mets?"
  • It was the latter, insofar as the old "Can't anybody here play this game?" Mets. Hung with the Mets through a couple of World Series wins. And . . .
  • While living in New York City, talk again about underdogs, rooted for the Jets (who despite underdog status fulfilled Broadway Joe's confident predictions of the first AFC Super Bowl win). And . . .
  • Rooted for the Knicks in their best years, living in NYC and a pre-existing Bill Bradley fan. Many a happy visit to Shea Stadium and the Garden during my NY years. Then . . .
  • Moved to Connecticut. Stayed with my allegiances (Jets first to fade) but began to take an interest in the UConn men's basketball team.
  • Rooted for the men, but started noticing the headlines about Lobo this and Lobo that. And . . .
  • Then lightning struck while watching my first televised women's BB game -- UConn/TN '95 -- and seeing Rizzotti's dramatic near-court-length drive, splitting two TN defenders on the way to the hoop.
  • Next season started watching both the UConn men's and women's games.
  • Then, after Amin's graduation, for reasons I haven't analyzed (although the immediate reason was that watching all those TV games of both teams was just too much selfish time away from the family) gravitated to the women. And . . .
  • have rooted for the UConn women ever since. The other allegiances have faded to one degree or another, but that one hasn't. It's brought joy and is one of my half dozen or so major fields of interest.

Reaction Score
I've always latched onto a favorite team in each of the major sports and would rarely watch a game involving two other teams. Partisanship seems to be an essential motivator in my sports experience.

So that's the case with UConn as well. I'm one of those who'll watch two other teams for a while, but only if one of them is of interest as a potential UConn rival.

Not that anyone asked, but my allegiances have gone something like this:
  • Ohio State football, from my earliest recollections. Parents met as students there. Dad an olympic-class track athlete and captain of the team. Mom the real football fan, always. In her mid-nineties she would lie in bed watching the games and occasionally, when an opposing running back would break loose, she'd sit up and start yelling "Stop him! Stop him!"
  • Brooklyn Dodgers, Boys of Summer. We lived in NYS then. Liked (and still like) to root for the underdog -- although my teams generally were/are successful at one time or another. Anyway, was very happy when the Dodgers beat the Yanks in the Series.
  • My own college and law school university football and basketball teams, attended most games, but only remained a close follower of the teams while there.
  • NY Mets, talk about liking the underdog. Was a National League fan, so when the Bums and Jints went West, I switched to the Amazin's. They were terrible and lovable.
  • Then they started to get good. Perplexing. Remember a fellow fan wondering out loud in Seaver's rookie year, "Will the Mets spoil Tom Seaver, or will Seaver spoil the Mets?"
  • It was the latter, insofar as the old "Can't anybody here play this game?" Mets. Hung with the Mets through a couple of World Series wins. And . . .
  • While living in New York City, talk again about underdogs, rooted for the Jets (who despite underdog status fulfilled Broadway Joe's confident predictions of the first AFC Super Bowl win). And . . .
  • Rooted for the Knicks in their best years, living in NYC and a pre-existing Bill Bradley fan. Many a happy visit to Shea Stadium and the Garden during my NY years. Then . . .
  • Moved to Connecticut. Stayed with my allegiances (Jets first to fade) but began to take an interest in the UConn men's basketball team.
  • Rooted for the men, but started noticing the headlines about Lobo this and Lobo that. And . . .
  • Then lightning struck while watching my first televised women's BB game -- UConn/TN '95 -- and seeing Rizzotti's dramatic near-court-length drive, splitting two TN defenders on the way to the hoop.
  • Next season started watching both the UConn men's and women's games.
  • Then, after Amin's graduation, for reasons I haven't analyzed (although the immediate reason was that watching all those TV games of both teams was just too much selfish time away from the family) gravitated to the women. And . . .
  • have rooted for the UConn women ever since. The other allegiances have faded to one degree or another, but that one hasn't. It's brought joy and is one of my half dozen or so major fields of interest.
Same here JS, more or less. I have no interest in any sport beyond my favorite team. Almost zero interest in pro sports. I believe sports are way over emphasized in our society.
I do enjoy local HS sports though and college wrestling.

Reaction Score
I followed WCB before UConn came to prominence so yes I would have still followed the game. My main team probably would have been Notre Dame but also a fan of the Big East in general.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In prior seasons I have been able to find watchable even enjoyable WCBB games despite not having a dog (Husky or otherwise) in the fight. Usually it has involved channel hopping - the beauty of DTV's broad coverage. Most of those games I have watched and enjoyed have not involved the big, brand names, but middling schools battling it out, with each having one stand out player - usually it is guard play. More often than not the watchable games have been in the western part of the country. This year has been a down year. Next year I expect it will be interesting to see if Tenn fans expectation for their new savior Deshields will come true - the only reason to watch an SEC game pretty much. A talented freshmen crew will invade the usual suspects and produce interest, BUT, if UConn were not in the picture, neither would I.

Reaction Score
Ok - I have to ask - Northern AZ and Montana State???? I'm not a Big Sky fan in general, but Northern Arizona has some games televised on FSAZ and I have watched them a few times in previous seasons. Meh. And I'm not being a snob - watching Arizona can be very hard, as well.

LOL. If I have a free weekend, or day, and I happen upon a WCBB game either on TV or streaming, I will check out the game. I have watched teams from the MEAC to the SWAC :) I just love WCBB that much.

Reaction Score
LOL. If I have a free weekend, or day, and I happen upon a WCBB game either on TV or streaming, I will check out the game. I have watched teams from the MEAC to the SWAC :) I just love WCBB that much.

That's how I started following North Dakota last season. For some reason their games were on one of the DTV stations and I was able to catch quite a few of them. This season not one game that I know of. I think ESPN 3 put the kibosh on being able to watch these smaller conference teams.

Reaction Score
As a freshman in 1967 I went to watch a womens game at Hawley Armory ( !! ) ,no uniforms,just pinneys !! Times indeed have changed.

Reaction Score
As a freshman in 1967 I went to watch a womens game at Hawley Armory ( !! ) ,no uniforms,just pinneys !! Times indeed have changed.
Really enjoy watching Uconn but do not watch WCBB or WNBA. ZZZZZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom