World University Games USA vs. Hungary | The Boneyard

World University Games USA vs. Hungary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks to ESPNU for providing quality coverage of this game, at least to those of us who have a DVR. The rumor was that the broadcast would be on early this morning, and it was, providing an opportunity to, at last, see a game on TV in this series.

Hungary, had a good defensive plan to start the game as they pretty much shut down a bigger and more talented USA squad. The USA seemed to be using the first half as a practice session to get their act together, so I primarily intended to evaluate the players as individuals instead of as a cohesive team. In this regard, I was impressed with the speed and overall ability of McCall (7-11 for 14 pts, 5 reb) who was very comfortable in the post as well as further from the basket.

As the game progressed, the team's cohesiveness improved considerably. In the 2nd half, Brionna Jones used her bulk to good advantage as she scored and rebounded while scattering Hungarian players like candlestick pins. Six for six shooting for 15 and team lead rebounder with 7.

Sydney Wiese was a standout hitting 5 for 6 for 13 points and picked off 5 rebounds. Jordin Canada was 0-8 in shooting but had 6 steals of the team's 20.

The only disappointment was the play of Mercedes Russell. I was expecting a good game from her based on news of her the previous games, but in this game she failed in all aspects. Although she seemed to be keeping up sprinting back on defense, once she got there she basically stood around and allowed Hungary to gain superior rebound positioning, and was unable to get open to receive passes into the post. Basically, she had no quickness. (I was wondering if her feet are still bothering her). All this resulted in 3 pts and 3 rebs in 21 minutes. But, not to worry, as the bottom of the bench did a great job extending a small lead to 41 points in the second half.

Next up - Japan.

Link for article and box score:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2015/07/wwug-quarterfinal-usa-defeats-hungary.aspx

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks, Bestiarius. Man I hate missing anything related to the women's game of basketball. Sydney Wiese is one of my favorite players. She has been one of the factors for Oregon State's WBB programs rise to the top of the Pac 12. The young lady can flat out play! She plays without fear. I wonder if Russell's foot is bugging her. That stat line is not like her normal numbers.

Reaction Score
The starting trio of Powers, Williams and Canada shot 4-27 for the game and had 9 of the teams 13 turnovers (Canada did have 7 assists). Mercedes Russell spent quite a bit of time guarding on the perimeter as Hungary tried to pull her out from under the basket to open up the lane so her defensive rebound number I believe suffered because of it. Her size alone though will make teams adjust certain aspects of their offenses. Hungary is a terrible 3 point shooting team (16% going into the game). Russell didn't get a lot of touches because she definitely wasn't as aggressive on the offensive end this game and I would have to wonder about her feet also and fatigue. She hit the first basket on a nice hook shot, missed a left handed bunny, missed a nice fade away and then missed another fade away that was thrown up to avoid a shot clock violation. The latter resulted in an assist to McCall. This was her 6th game since 2013/14 season so I'm not too worried about it. Jones had a great game but she also was playing against an entirely different Hungarian lineup in the 4th quarter and she also had the benefit of Wiese and Hempen being on the court and their ability to move the ball rather than dribble in circles. Wiese was by far the best player on the court in this game. The bench overall had a much better game and I would like to see Jones, Wiese and Davis get more minutes in the 1st half of the game. Russell rarely gets subbed out unless its for fouls, end of half or after game is well in hand.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Anyone else think the WUG announcers are great?

They obviously do their homework because they talk about both past seasons play and next season for their respective college.

They also know the players games and have a good insight into women's basketball.

Wouldn't mind them calling ESPN games at all!!!

Reaction Score
Final on ESPNU 5 AM Monday . Women. Men seem to have a dozen games coming up on ESPN World University Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom