WNBA Survey - disappointing | The Boneyard

WNBA Survey - disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Did anyone else receive an e-mail WNBA survey recently.

I answered the questions about why I do / don't attend games, what would make me attend more, etc.

I was a little disappointed with the survey. While I recognize that they had to cover all the angles, I felt the emphasis was on promotions, in-game entertainment, give-aways and other experiential issues (autographs) as the biggest focus of many questions. The second focus was discounts, whether for parking, non-same-day game sales, etc.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just felt that some of the questions might have missed their mark, or been looking for the wrong audience.

Anyone else?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
When I move to LA I plan on getting season tix for the Sparks. As long as Parker isn't playing, I'll be able to root for them. Looking forward to seeing the UCONN (and other players I enjoy) come thru LA...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I did not get the survey but I wish I had. Based on what you said, I agree, they are missing the point. IMHO, the marketing (and I'm talking mainly about the Sun here) is very weak in social media. Other teams do it a little better. I am not a social media guy, but the Sun's twitter and facebook are woeful... there just isn't enough INFORMATION. The reporting media, with a few exception also does a lousy job covering the team. Again, just no sustained "buzz". The Sun have been dismantled by disgruntled departures and endless injuries... now sit on top of the eastern conference. Tulsa after the move from Detroit faced players not reporting, and despite great effort could not get out of the cellar for years... they sit on top of the western conference. There are some great positive stories to tell but all the national headlines are about Brit, Glory, domestic disputes and gay marriage. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make America turn away from its fascination with tabloid journalism.

Reaction Score
I also wish I got the survey, they definitely need to utilize social media more. So many inside stories that would be wonderful to here

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did not see the survey - but the 'issues' you point to are generally pretty easy to address in terms of pleasing fans in attendance, where other issues that might have been identified would involve things that would be more difficult.

Reaction Score
I agree the CT Sun has major issues with social media. They just don't know how to make it work- heck they don't even update team information in a timely way. It gives the impression they don't give a damn about keeping fans in the loop.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Did not see the survey - but the 'issues' you point to are generally pretty easy to address in terms of pleasing fans in attendance, where other issues that might have been identified would involve things that would be more difficult.
They did address quality of coverage as one question, although they didn't ask what I thought of WNBA.com, I would have been happy to tell them, though they wouldn't have liked what I said.

Of course it was focused on getting folks to the game, but my issue was that there were 15 or so things to choose from that are the reasons you attend games (and 15 or so things that would make you attend more) and I felt they were almost all "peripheral" to the actual event. As I said, all the "in game experience" and "discount" options as choices just (for me) never had an impact. I never went to a game because it was "bobble-head night" (one of the choices) nor did the price of the game affect my decision.

FYI, my wife and I were long time season ticket holders of the Liberty who stopped well before we moved because of the time to commute to the game and peripheral costs (tolls, Manhattan parking, food if desired). We did a 5 game partial for the Merc a couple years ago, and again, the issues were time of commute (I'm down in Tucson), cost of hotel (because I rarely drive back and forth when we go up north for an event) and other peripheral costs. Not the cost of the game, although I admit that the older I get the fussier I am about where we sit for concerts and games, and we can't always afford the prices where we would like to be.

Reaction Score
I agree the CT Sun has major issues with social media. They just don't know how to make it work- heck they don't even update team information in a timely way. It gives the impression they don't give a damn about keeping fans in the loop.
Isn't that pretty common with all the WNBA teams presently. I think the first few years of the WNBA the websites were individually run by each team. It appears now that every team has a generic website with basically no info. I hate to single out the Sun only.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I live in Nashville area. So I would have to go to Atlanta or Washington for closets games. So that's why I haven't been to any WNBA games. There is 4-5 hours of travel.

psconn

Reaction Score
I live in Nashville area. So I would have to go to Atlanta or Washington for closets games. So that's why I haven't been to any WNBA games. There is 4-5 hours of travel.

Just curious stwainfan, did you subscribe to WNBA Live Access?

psconn

Reaction Score
Isn't that pretty common with all the WNBA teams presently. I think the first few years of the WNBA the websites were individually run by each team. It appears now that every team has a generic website with basically no info. I hate to single out the Sun only.

As bad as the Sun's website was (and it kinda sucked) the new website is worse.

Reaction Score
Yes the WNBA has gone to a generic league website! I liked it better when each team threw in their own things. I like to check for trades, releases, etc. and the league does a lousy job of keeping this up-to-date!
The league has just made it the policy to put the butts in the seats! Promotions, give aways, music, is what the league asks about, not how to improve competition, quality of refs problems, the draft, the All-Star game, etc.Part of the problem is most of the WNBA franchises are controlled by the NBA!
For me the major problems are the refing and the WNBA shouldn't have a draft lottery, it should go on worst record gets 1st choice 2nd worse record gets 2nd choice and so on! The lottery has just rewarded the strong franchise that for whatever reason has a 1 down year and gets the #1 choice, PHX gets Griner when DT got hurt and LA gets Nneka when Parker gets pregnant are just two of the mistakes made! Washington and Tulsa should have gotten those players mentioned, how tough would the league be if Nneka was on Tulsa and Griner was on Washington!

Reaction Score

I singled them out because they're the only WNBA team I follow, I have no idea how good or bad other team sites are

Reaction Score
I wished they had asked about OTHER social media and web sites for info. They ignored places like Hoopfeed.

Reaction Score
I just got an email from the Sun that contains the link to the survey:
Dear Sun Fan,
We value your opinion and would appreciate your input on an important set of questions to better understand how fans engage with the WNBA. Your responses will be very helpful as we look to better enhance our fans' experience.
Below is a link to the survey. For participating, you will be eligible to receive a discount code to the WNBA.com / NBA.com Store (deadline for participation is no later than June 28, 2015).
To complete the survey, simply click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser.
https://www.research.net/s/WNBAattendees2015

Reaction Score
Took me too long to take the survey and I couldn't edit my previous post. A lot of the questions have an open text field for "other" answers. Thanks to RSHERMVIKES who mentioned the refereeing and the lottery. I made sure to include both of those things in one of the text boxes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I just got an email from the Sun that contains the link to the survey:
Dear Sun Fan,
We value your opinion and would appreciate your input on an important set of questions to better understand how fans engage with the WNBA. Your responses will be very helpful as we look to better enhance our fans' experience.
Below is a link to the survey. For participating, you will be eligible to receive a discount code to the WNBA.com / NBA.com Store (deadline for participation is no later than June 28, 2015).
To complete the survey, simply click on the link below or copy and paste it into your browser.
https://www.research.net/s/WNBAattendees2015
I asked why wasn't the survey on their website!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wished they had asked about OTHER social media and web sites for info. They ignored places like Hoopfeed.
in the "other" slots you could have type hoopfeed.com... or the-boneyard.com for where you get your WNBA info from.

I used "other" a lot for this survery... and the homosexual question was weird (didnt understand the need for it but...)

Reaction Score
in the "other" slots you could have type hoopfeed.com... or the-boneyard.com for where you get your WNBA info from.

I used "other" a lot for this survery... and the homosexual question was weird (didnt understand the need for it but...)

That's what I did, you are correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc