WNBA rookie rankings | The Boneyard

WNBA rookie rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it was a really strong class. It seems so far that at least 10 players are carving out a solid place on their respective teams. Far cry from some years when only a few from a class make it... A lot of talent on that list!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I also think you have to look at the second half of the season to truly measure. Then, W teams have REAL tape of you. How you respond when you're playing the same team four or five times in a three month period reveals how diverse your game is and how you react to other folks's learning curve.

They said in college you need two moves. In the W you need four-- and need to move through them like lightening....

Reaction Score
Is Shoni making some people sorry they bypassed her?

WNBA rookies

She was lucky to be picked by Atlanta and that Cooper is now the Dream coach. Perfect situation for her. She can now concentrate on showing off her passing skills and doesn't have to have the scoring load on her shoulders.
I think she likes having the crowds cheer when she makes those flamboyant passes as much as when she hit the shots in college. She has three starters in the frontline who are eager to score off her passes in DeSouza, Lyttle and McCoughtry.
Both she and Chiney are taking advantage of their situations and looking like they were born to play in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I think it was a really strong class. It seems so far that at least 10 players are carving out a solid place on their respective teams. Far cry from some years when only a few from a class make it... A lot of talent on that list!
Pretty much.
Dolson and Hartley will only get better as the season goes on and they'll make their teammates better.
McBride had a slower start but had the big game against Skylar so it's a sign of things to come.
Dantes is making a big splash for Minn.
They threw Tiffany Bias into the fire in that blowout at Tulsa Friday night and she looked nervous. They had to take her out cause the Shock were out for blood that night. Talk about high pressure! She looked better when she went back in the game in the 4th quarter.
I'm going to see Phoenix play the Mystics tomorrow night!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dantas looked superb yesterday against LA. She's not Brunson, but she's allowed Minnesota to maintain their dominating ways without Bekky, no small accomplishment. Once Bekky's back, I'm sure she'll be an excellent first post off the bench option.

The scary thing is to realize how much better so many members of this class (Chiney, Shoni, Stef, Bria, McBride, Alyssa T., Howard) are going to get, and Chelsea Gray is still waiting in the wings. The makings of a blockbuster class that will change the league for years to come.

Reaction Score
Dantas looked superb yesterday against LA. She's not Brunson, but she's allowed Minnesota to maintain their dominating ways without Bekky, no small accomplishment. Once Bekky's back, I'm sure she'll be an excellent first post off the bench option.

The scary thing is to realize how much better so many members of this class (Chiney, Shoni, Stef, Bria, McBride, Alyssa T., Howard) are going to get, and Chelsea Gray is still waiting in the wings. The makings of a blockbuster class that will change the league for years to come.
She looks superb everyday!

Dantas personifies that image of an Amazon:
tall and beautiful...plus she can play basketball!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
and Chelsea Gray is still waiting in the wings.

As is Achonwa, who is probably only a backup 4, but I'd expect to be a pretty useful WNBA player.

I really think you need to wait until at least the second year to make any hard judgments, but Shoni is certainly more prepared to contribute immediately than I expected. I was also impressed with Ogwumike and Howard when I saw them in person.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There are some really good players in this crop of rookies. Out of this group, Shoni may be the most fun to watch. She has a lot of "splash" to her game.

Reaction Score
As is Achonwa, who is probably only a backup 4, but I'd expect to be a pretty useful WNBA player.

I really think you need to wait until at least the second year to make any hard judgments, but Shoni is certainly more prepared to contribute immediately than I expected. I was also impressed with Ogwumike and Howard when I saw them in person.

In that Fever lineup I'd say Achonwa will be on the fast track to be an impact starter and a Fever mainstay for years to come.

Reaction Score
There are some really good players in this crop of rookies. Out of this group, Shoni may be the most fun to watch. She has a lot of "splash" to her game.
Watching her and DuMerc play this year will be lots of fun...

Reaction Score
Is Shoni making some people sorry they bypassed her?

WNBA rookies
To answer your specific question: I think all the teams who picked ahead of Atlanta pretty much got what they wanted or thought they needed. So no, I don't think any of them are sorry.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This is also a lot of "fulfilled potential" for these players. According to the Hoopgurlz 2010 rankings, in the WNBA's top 9 rookies you have:

#1 Chiney
#2 Howard
#3 Sims
#7 A. Thomas
#8 Shoni
#14 Bria (#6 by BS, #3 ASGR)
#20 McBride (#20 BS, #22 ASGR)
#39 Dolson (although ranked #24 by BS and #12 by ASGR)

(Gatling, unranked)

Chelsea Gray was ranked #4 in HS, btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member