WNBA players from different schools | The Boneyard

WNBA players from different schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all that talks about quality of different programs and future career after college basketball,
I was curious and looked it up. According to

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207811378

"The seven Blue Devil alums rank third most active players in the WNBA from a collegiate program – Connecticut (11), Tennessee (8), Duke (7), North Carolina (6), Rutgers (6), Stanford (6), Ohio State (5), Maryland (5), LSU (4) and USC (4)."

As good as Notre Dame has consistently been and how well coached the players are supposed to be,
I am quite surprised that there are not 4 ND players in the WNBA, if a basketball career is an important
metric after college. As dominant as UConn has been, it only has 4 more than Duke where players are
supposedly less developed. Just curious.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
not enough spots in the W... BTXpress is doing very well overseas

Reaction Score
As an RU WBB fan it pains me to say it just goes to show that as much as I like CVS she seems to manage to get all that talent she accumulates to "underachieve"!! I think after watching this yrs team though she's finally letting the girls play instead benching anyone who dares to take what she considers a "jockshot" as we used to call 3pters(which takes talent)!! Looks like she'll get a contract renewal afterall !?! Too good a recruiter IMO to let go elsewhere.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the issue is that the average college career in the W is probably two or three years for players that actually make a roster. With small rosters and limited teams there just aren't that many long term players so it is a huge advantage that Bird, Jones, and Cash and DT are still playing and that jacks up Uconn's numbers.
You are really looking at a 10+ year window for a college's players - the only team that has been at the top every year for that window is Uconn and they had a mini slump in the post DT era, but have followed that up with Montgomery, Charles, and Moore another trio that should have much longer than average careers.
So ... Duke or Rutgers or ND has had a lot of talent, but many fewer of those 10+ year star players and more down years in the window that effects the numbers. Add to that Uconn's reputation for training players well for professional careers, and every year some of their graduates at least get a long look and may stick on rosters for that two or three year average career because they know how to carve out a role on a team and sublimate their own game to a team goal.

Reaction Score
I think the issue is that the average college career in the W is probably two or three years for players that actually make a roster. With small rosters and limited teams there just aren't that many long term players so it is a huge advantage that Bird, Jones, and Cash and DT are still playing and that jacks up Uconn's numbers.
You are really looking at a 10+ year window for a college's players - the only team that has been at the top every year for that window is Uconn and they had a mini slump in the post DT era, but have followed that up with Montgomery, Charles, and Moore another trio that should have much longer than average careers.
So ... Duke or Rutgers or ND has had a lot of talent, but many fewer of those 10+ year star players and more down years in the window that effects the numbers. Add to that Uconn's reputation for training players well for professional careers, and every year some of their graduates at least get a long look and may stick on rosters for that two or three year average career because they know how to carve out a role on a team and sublimate their own game to a team goal.
All of the RU players currently in the league have been there for awhile, with the exception of Michelle Campbell and she graduated in 2006, but played overseas until last year. The only player we had who graduated after 2009 and played in the WNBA was April Sykes who played for the Sparks in 2012 but was cut last season. I think Monique Oliver would have had a chance to make a team if she hadn't been injured all of her senior year.
And in response to NickyNewark's statement that CVS gets talent to underachieve - all of the RU players in the league made it to at least the Elite Eight.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All of the RU players currently in the league have been there for awhile, with the exception of Michelle Campbell and she graduated in 2006, but played overseas until last year. The only player we had who graduated after 2009 and played in the WNBA was April Sykes who played for the Sparks in 2012 but was cut last season. I think Monique Oliver would have had a chance to make a team if she hadn't been injured all of her senior year.
And in response to NickyNewark's statement that CVS gets talent to underachieve - all of the RU players in the league made it to at least the Elite Eight.
Good info - and your time frame does point to the slump that Rutgers had post Vaughn, Cappie, Prince.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"The seven Blue Devil alums rank third most active players in the WNBA from a collegiate program – Connecticut (11), Tennessee (8), Duke (7), North Carolina (6), Rutgers (6), Stanford (6), Ohio State (5), Maryland (5), LSU (4) and USC (4)."
As dominant as UConn has been, it only has 4 more than Duke where players are
supposedly less developed.

I am always ready to concede bragging rights to anyone that earns them. But seriously, for Duke to take such pride in being only four WNBA players (now) behind UConn seems a bit of a stretch.

Of course, Liston and Williams may go for it after graduation. So may Bria, Stef, Kaleena, Stewie and Moriah. And Stokes.

Reaction Score
I think the OP misses the point when it comes to ND. With a couple notable exceptions, in the past they haven't been terribly gifted players. Muffet gets the very most out of her girls. The only ones that have graduated so far with "can't miss" WNBA talent levels have been Ruth and Skylar. Dev Peters works very hard to keep her slot on one of the league's premier teams. That's going to change in the newer era. McBride and Loyd will be around the W for some time to come after they graduate. The same is likely true of Achonwa and possibly a couple others as well.

Reaction Score
Sometimes a coach's system produces collegiate success that does not carry over to the next level. Sometimes an athlete's abilities within a certain system are so perfectly suited and successful that mask a player's shortcomings. It is quite possible that I just used two sentences to say the exact same thing:(.

Reaction Score
No maybe I wasn't clear enough.....underachieve in that with all the talent she had to work with similar to Geno who seems to get more out of good talent but they(RU) certainly seemed to play great D which is harder to learn but CVS wouldn't let the girls have the freedom to unleash the outside shot enough to give them the offensive confidence and cohesiveness RU always seems to lack and I've followed the Lady Knights since T Shank-Grentz was hired !! I hope this yrs team gets her to tweak her philosophy? At least it looks like her contract will be renewed !?! Like I've stated I think CVS is virtually irreplacable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
VAU - I agree that a system can mask flaws, but I think it is more the change in competition, similar to the jump from HS to college though that also has to do with simply physically maturing (and mentally maturing as well I guess.) The change from HS to college is that instead of being the most physically gifted player on the court every night in HS, when a player gets to college they are seldom the most physically gifted on their own team let alone on the floor - everyone is faster, more skilled, and generally more mature physically and mentally. The same happens between senior year in college and the following summer - the players drafted into the W were typically the best players on their team and on most nights the best player on the floor - the competition was a little more balanced than their senior year in HS but not a whole lot. They go from playing nightly against the best 3500 players in the US aged 19-22 to playing against the best 120 players in the world aged 22-35.
So what they do during those 4 college years is important and is a combination of the coaches and staff, their teammates, and their own desires and work ethic. First the player has to want to expand their skills and hone the ones they have. Second they have to have teammates that are competent enough to help them succeed, and third they have to have a coaching staff that can break down their game, identify weaknesses, and teach them to improve those weakness, and push them to do so. It has to be a partnership between coaching and player - they both have to want to put in the effort and if either doesn't, then the results are less than ideal. And success as a team and a player can be fools gold. If winning games and dominating statistically is seen as enough either coach or player may not dedicate enough time and effort to develop the skills necessary for the next level of competition. Some cases in point:
The Paris twins had all the skills necessary to dominate in HS and were prize recruits, they had all the skills to dominate in college and had great statistical four year careers. But Courtney either because she didn't have enough desire or because Sherri didn't push her hard enough, never expanded her game - she was basically the same player after four years that she was when she arrived - physically her speed and stamina didn't improve and skill wise she hadn't developed her range on offense. Her sister was not as skilled a player but did transform herself physically - she may not have had the skill necessary to play/star at the next level, but at least she left college a different player than she entered.
Griner - all the skills and the height to dominate in HS and college, and incredible success in college - but ... I still think she left college with basically the same skill set that she arrived with and it showed in her final college loss - no one had to guard her when she moved to the foul line. Make life uncomfortable down low and she didn't have an option two in her game, nor did her team.
Maya - all the skills to dominate in HS and college and she did. But she and Geno both had the desire to expand on what was already working - she could shoot jumpers all day and score at will, but ... Geno asked the question, what are you going to do when a team takes your jumper away - may only happen a couple of games a year in college, but it will happen frequently at the next level - how do you counter that? And together they worked on improving her post-up and shot fake to drive, and getting to the foul line and rebounding and passing.
DT - probably came to college with the most rounded offensive game of any player in Uconn history but maybe a liability on defense. And she didn't often get fouled. By the time she left college she was not a Kelly Faris, but she was a good defender and she had learned how to get to the foul line.

What Geno does for his stars he does for his walk-ons too. And it isn't just Geno, but I think it stands out because of the incredibly talented players he gets who could just skate through college, but who he doesn't allow to cheat their talent.
This is a much longer post that I meant - but I think it is why #1 recruits at Uconn consistently end up as 35 year old stars in the W and lesser HS recruits still have prolonged professional careers vs. the players from other programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
VAU - I agree that a system can mask flaws, but I think it is more the change in competition, similar to the jump from HS to college though that also has to do with simply physically maturing (and mentally maturing as well I guess.) The change from HS to college is that instead of being the most physically gifted player on the court every night in HS, when a player gets to college they are seldom the most physically gifted on their own team let alone on the floor - everyone is faster, more skilled, and generally more mature physically and mentally. The same happens between senior year in college and the following summer - the players drafted into the W were typically the best players on their team and on most nights the best player on the floor - the competition was a little more balanced than their senior year in HS but not a whole lot. They go from playing nightly against the best 3500 players in the US aged 19-22 to playing against the best 120 players in the world aged 22-35.
So what they do during those 4 college years is important and is a combination of the coaches and staff, their teammates, and their own desires and work ethic. First the player has to want to expand their skills and hone the ones they have. Second they have to have teammates that are competent enough to help them succeed, and third they have to have a coaching staff that can break down their game, identify weaknesses, and teach them to improve those weakness, and push them to do so. It has to be a partnership between coaching and player - they both have to want to put in the effort and if either doesn't, then the results are less than ideal. And success as a team and a player can be fools gold. If winning games and dominating statistically is seen as enough either coach or player may not dedicate enough time and effort to develop the skills necessary for the next level of competition. Some cases in point:
The Paris twins had all the skills necessary to dominate in HS and were prize recruits, they had all the skills to dominate in college and had great statistical four year careers. But Courtney either because she didn't have enough desire or because Sherri didn't push her hard enough, never expanded her game - she was basically the same player after four years that she was when she arrived - physically her speed and stamina didn't improve and skill wise she hadn't developed her range on offense. Her sister was not as skilled a player but did transform herself physically - she may not have had the skill necessary to play/star at the next level, but at least she left college a different player than she entered.
Griner - all the skills and the height to dominate in HS and college, and incredible success in college - but ... I still think she left college with basically the same skill set that she arrived with and it showed in her final college loss - no one had to guard her when she moved to the foul line. Make life uncomfortable down low and she didn't have an option two in her game, nor did her team.
Maya - all the skills to dominate in HS and college and she did. But she and Geno both had the desire to expand on what was already working - she could shoot jumpers all day and score at will, but ... Geno asked the question, what are you going to do when a team takes your jumper away - may only happen a couple of games a year in college, but it will happen frequently at the next level - how do you counter that? And together they worked on improving her post-up and shot fake to drive, and getting to the foul line and rebounding and passing.
DT - probably came to college with the most rounded offensive game of any player in Uconn history but maybe a liability on defense. And she didn't often get fouled. By the time she left college she was not a Kelly Faris, but she was a good defender and she had learned how to get to the foul line.

What Geno does for his stars he does for his walk-ons too. And it isn't just Geno, but I think it stands out because of the incredibly talented players he gets who could just skate through college, but who he doesn't allow to cheat their talent.
This is a much longer post that I meant - but I think it is why #1 recruits at Uconn consistently end up as 35 year old stars in the W and lesser HS recruits still have prolonged professional careers vs. the players from other programs.

Hardly a fair and balanced response as far as your player comparisons but well thought out and it obviously took some time. Had you thrown in a few UConn misses, I would not be able to praise this response enough; Especially since your player evaluations encompassed five players from successful programs, all of whom played in at least one Final Four.

Ashley probably does not belong in this conversation; a very good player, never an All American, never a player with whom an opposing team spent too much time scheming against defensively.
I disagree with your assessment of Griner. You seem to believe that all one has to do is spend enough time in the gym developing a shot or a different aspect of one's game and it will happen. For many players it can, for others it just is not possible for reasons indeterminable. However, I did see her shoot sweeping left hooks with respectable success. Was that always in the arsenal?
No doubt Maya's and Diana's games improved during their four years at UConn. But, IMO, more as a result of experience and the subtle adjustments to which you may have alluded. Maya and DT, IMO, were as good as freshman as they were as seniors. Their talents were heads and shoulders above everyone elses and it was immediately obvious.
Maya's the perfect example of how certain aspects of one's game just will not improve regardless of how much work is put into it. For all of Maya's skills, she was never a good ball handler and I do not recall her ever taking more than two dribbles going left. She was an awful on ball defender her freshman year, but she did improve markedly in that area. Her rebounding numbers over four years at UConn were 290, 348, 325, and 313; the first and last years were over 38 games, the middle two over 39, so I cannot buy the rebounding argument. And I always thought she was an adequate passer, but refuse to use assists as a barometer. Players passing to other good players are bound to have gaudy assist numbers. Kaili McLaren never posted gaudy assist numbers, but one would be hard pressed to find a better passer that ever played at UConn or anywhere else.
To be honest, I never paid much attention to Diana's defense so your word about it will be accepted, but I do not accept your argument about her learning to get to the free throw line. The numbers do not support it and her role changed drastically in her final two seasons. In her first two seasons, her role was to space the floor and keep the defenses honest. There was no need for her to take it inside very often. In her last two seasons, she constituted a greater percentage of the offense and had the ball in her hand more often; Especially in tight games.

As far as your quote about #1 recruits, lesser recruits and other programs, it will take a little time to develop an opinion pro or con because I really do not follow recruiting very religiously but know that UConn gets more than their share and have a fair amount of players in the WNBA. For arguments sake, I will opine that the program that has produced the most top players would have to be USC. Even Tennessee, right now, owns more MVP hardware than UConn and an equal share of Rookie of the Year Hardware. The next UConn player to be named Defensive Player of the Year will be the first. UConn players do well, but so do others.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit me to add a factor that supports the suggestion that assists are not necessarily an accurate measure of passing skills.

It's very simple. A passer gets an assist only when her pass leads to a score. It is a big help for the stat lines of guards like Moriah and Bria when they set up shooters like Stef and Stewie and, until recently, Kaleena. All good shooters to take advantage of their passes and knock down the shots.

One reason many good teams don't pile up assists like UConn is obvious -- their shooters don't finish like UConn's do.

I am reliably informed that NBA teams routinely count "would be assists" -- good passes followed by "shoulda-made" shots.

I would be surprised if coaches like Geno don't do something similar.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kib - good points, but it also speaks to the type of offense being run and how much break away/rebounding put backs are included in a teams scoring, as well as the pace of the game (e.g. USF.) But it also points to the quality of a passer - if you compare Moriah to Banks or Chong or Bria - regularized for number of minutes played, I think you would still find Moriah with superior assists - and yet they are all making passes to the same teammates. And assists/to is still valid as a comparison tool.
And the same complaint, but even stronger I would say goes to rebounds, especially defensive rebounding. The intent when a shot goes up is for every defender to keep an offensive player away from the rim and only secondarily to actually collect the rebound - if you are doing your job properly who gets credited with the rebound is really immaterial. And with post players who specialize in blocking shots, the act of attempting a block typically removes them from position to rebound that shot.
VAU - some of your criticism is valid and I certainly wasn't trying to be comprehensive - long enough post as it was. To some of your points - I included both Paris twins because their approach in college was clearly different. They both came in with very similar body types, they left with very different body types.
As for DT and Maya and you could add in Tina - they had the talent to skate through college and still have very successful professional careers as did Parker, and Vaughn and Griner and a number of other college kids. To their credit and the coaching staffs credit none of the Uconn players did. If you watch games from the first year and the last year you can see distinct differences in their approach. The underlying skill is the same, but their understanding of the game, and the breadth of their skill has expanded. Tina - her mid-range game and her intensity for tip to horn, DT primarily her defensive skill and commitment, but also the variety of her shot selection, Maya - the same, her freshman year she was almost exclusively a jump shooter. On the FTs that was actually a point Geno brought up specific to discussing KML - that a very good FT shooter has to incorporate into their game the ability to draw shooting fouls as DT did from her freshman to senior year (or words to that effect.)
As for players like Griner - she is a good FT shooter, which suggests she should have a good mid-range game especially with her form and height and I believe you will see this added to her arsenal now that she has to do it since she can no longer completely dominate in the low post against older stronger and better defenders. She would have been better prepared for the W had this been done during her four years of college.
Other samples - Jane Appel and Dolson - both were pretty good coming out of HS but slow and with limited stamina. They could have had nice college careers but like Courtney Paris struggled at the next level. To their credit and their coaching and training staffs - they both transformed their bodies while refining their games. Can't remember enough about Appel's game but Stef has also significantly expanded her range - still don't want her shooting many threes but she is very good one step inside the line.
EDD - great player. And will be a great pro, but she played little defense in HS and little in college and is learning as a pro. I don't think many people would argue that she would have a more advanced game if she had played for Muffet or Tara or Geno. Partly because of the coaching but also because of the team she would have been surrounded by.
On the lower level Uconn pros - Who expected Battle or Swanier or J. Moore to have long careers in the W? I contend that they were drafted as highly as they were or at all (2,3,and late first round) because WNBA GMs recognize the training they had received at Uconn and that they were 'pro-ready' and they stuck around because they and the coaches had developed their HS skills into rounded games and that they recognized how to carve out a role for themselves to add value for a team, and most especially because their coaches not only emphasized the importance of playing defense but taught them the skills necessary to be a good defender. Those three are still on rosters after most of the players selected before them and after them with much better statistics in college are long gone from the W.
That commitment and the tools to be effective on defense is probably the most consistent item where Uconn players distinguish themselves from players at other programs - as Geno was just quoted as saying - we do not have a special name for a defense there are no gimmicks, but we take HS students who score 10,000 points and turn them into fundamentally sound committed defenders. You do not hear Geno lamenting as other coaches do that 'no one wants to play defense' (Duke) or we have to commit to defense (TN) game after game.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As far as your quote about #1 recruits, lesser recruits and other programs, it will take a little time to develop an opinion pro or con because I really do not follow recruiting very religiously but know that UConn gets more than their share and have a fair amount of players in the WNBA. For arguments sake, I will opine that the program that has produced the most top players would have to be USC. Even Tennessee, right now, owns more MVP hardware than UConn and an equal share of Rookie of the Year Hardware. The next UConn player to be named Defensive Player of the Year will be the first. UConn players do well, but so do others.
I would say take a look at the WNBA champions and runners up since 2003 and count the number of teams that had Uconn alum as significant contributors to their team's success. I think you would find there are a lot more than have alums from any other school. Uconn players often trail other programs players in terms of statistical numbers because regardless of the quality of their stars they play a team oriented game. I think that carries over to their pro careers (though maybe not in China where Moore seems to be putting up astronomical numbers!) I think you could probably carry that over to international play - number of medals won on foreign teams by alum would also be dominated by Uconn since 2003. Including by players like Kaili McLaren in the Greek league if I remember correctly!

Reaction Score
I would say take a look at the WNBA champions and runners up since 2003 and count the number of teams that had Uconn alum as significant contributors to their team's success. I think you would find there are a lot more than have alums from any other school. Uconn players often trail other programs players in terms of statistical numbers because regardless of the quality of their stars they play a team oriented game. I think that carries over to their pro careers (though maybe not in China where Moore seems to be putting up astronomical numbers!) I think you could probably carry that over to international play - number of medals won on foreign teams by alum would also be dominated by Uconn since 2003. Including by players like Kaili McLaren in the Greek league if I remember correctly!

Oh, so you want to narrow it down to UConn's star power heyday:rolleyes:.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think the OP misses the point when it comes to ND. With a couple notable exceptions, in the past they haven't been terribly gifted players. Muffet gets the very most out of her girls. The only ones that have graduated so far with "can't miss" WNBA talent levels have been Ruth and Skylar. Dev Peters works very hard to keep her slot on one of the league's premier teams. That's going to change in the newer era. McBride and Loyd will be around the W for some time to come after they graduate. The same is likely true of Achonwa and possibly a couple others as well.
Great post- these numbers in the original post just how much great talent is spread around the ncaa. How many teams consistently under achieve, and how few times Uconn underachieves! Seperates the good coaches from the few great ones!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oh, so you want to narrow it down to UConn's star power heyday:rolleyes:.
Well - this did start as a discussion of active players in the W so a 10 year window seemed appropriate - I think you could go back to 2000 if you wanted with the same kind of results though the first couple of years would be a little lighter for Uconn. Going back further I think gets into a different era of women's basketball where the 'professional' option was just beginning to be recognized and the player pool was significantly smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom