WNBA Lottery | The Boneyard

WNBA Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
. . . will be broadcast at halftime of the Mystics/Fever game on Thursday, according to a Mechelle
Voepel article on the ESPN website.

The article says that the Sun have a 28.2% chance of getting the first pick, while Tulsa and
Seattle each have a 35.9% chance. If the Sun should win the first pick, do they get to say that
it was the New York pick that won, thereby giving themselves a better shot at winning the second
pick too? Or are there some rules governing that situation?

Mechelle also opines that Kaleena may be the first pick in the draft. I'm wondering who else
might be a high first round pick. Elizabeth Williams has been mentioned, but many feel that,
while at Duke, she didn't live up to her high school press clippings. Izzy Harrison has been
mentioned. If Kiah has a great season she could be a first rounder, IMO. Who else?

Reaction Score
This mock draft is pretty bad but has a few relevant names: http://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2015/

I'm a Cal fan and it's nice to see PG Brittany Boyd #4 and PF Reshanda Gray #6 recognized, but I'd be surprised if Boyd goes that high and she won't go before Gray. Gray averaged 17 ppg 9 rpg 59% FG last year and was one of 4 from this class on the World University 2013 roster. Another one, Crystal Bradford (left out of the list linked) of Central Michigan will be a high pick as well. What makes Gray exciting as a WNBA prospect is that she is very aggressive and has been hampered by foul trouble her whole college career (averaged 3.3 per game last season) but I suspect she'll be less limited by that as a pro. She was very pretty raw compared to Liz Williams coming out of HS and while still not as polished she has made up considerable ground. But Stokes and Harrison are good as well (and I think taller/longer) and could get picked ahead of Gray, but she's right in that group.

Boyd would be the best PG in the class except she doesn't shoot well from mid-range or beyond the arc. But still averaged 14.7 ppg 6.6 rpg 6.0 apg and 2.9 spg. She's like Danielle Robinson mixed with Lindsay Whalen -- quick and makes some magician-like baskets. Except while D-Rob and Whalen both are not 3-point shooters, they at least can pull up for mid-range shots. Boyd still cannot at this point.

Rachel Banham of Minnesota is a PG who can score at 22.1 ppg last year, 42% 3FG. Iowa's Samantha Logic is a big PG who averaged 7.5 apg and can score and rebound. I think both will make rosters. Banham might be comparable to Alex Bentley and Sam Logic like former Nebraska/Lynx player Lindsey Moore but bigger and stronger and a bit more athletic like Tricia Liston.

Elem Ibiam of South Carolina will be no where near #3. So random.

Laudermill of Nebraska is originally from Cali and I believe many Pac-10/12 schools passed over her out of HS though very athletic. She's been solid for the Huskers, but I don't see her making a WNBA roster.

As a Pac-12 follower I am familiar with UW's Jazmine Davis. She's had a great college career. Can shoot and has been a high-volume scorer for the Huskies. But I think she's been an overachiever and isn't athletic enough for the WNBA and not as impactful all-around as, say, conference mate Boyd. Oregon's PF 6'3" Jillian Alleyne will go before Davis. Alleyne was 20 boards shy of breaking Courtney Paris's single-season rebound record (though her stats were inflated by Paul Westhead's style of play).

PF Nneka Enemkpali of Texas could be a factor but her stats and stock went down last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul
Top Bottom