WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

What I don't get is, isn't Satou injured. Maybe they were thinking they did Burton a solid in letting her go early but r they just not going to have a backup pg

Reaction Score

What I don't get is, isn't Satou injured. Maybe they were thinking they did Burton a solid in letting her go early but r they just not going to have a backup pg

Isn't Lou Lopez-Senechal considered a PG? And they also kept Sheldon.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
My day has been made so far with the Kysre/Chennedy and Victaria (I know it's temporary, but...) news. Hope that Veronica Burton can catch on with someone (Washington? LA?). Seeing Kate Martin battle her way onto the Aces opening day roster would be sweet as well (I was not a believer until I saw the intrasquad scrimmage).

Geez--I'm going to have to follow the Sky now! :)

Reaction Score
Isn't Lou Lopez-Senechal considered a PG? And they also kept Sheldon.
Sheldon for sure is a point. I think she is gonna be good. I love Lou, I know all UConn fans do. But I can't see her as a pg. I'd almost rather Arike play it than her. Maybe uzun is a point. I'm unfamiliar with her game

Reaction Score

I actually feel the exact opposite. Was disappointed they didn't keep any of their rookies or second year players. I like Minnesota and Chicago's depth.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I actually feel the exact opposite. Was disappointed they didn't keep any of their rookies or second year players. I like Minnesota and Chicago's depth.

Is their backcourt getting worse every year? These are a bunch of role players. Yet again, not good enough of a group to win a Championship IMO.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
You are correct in these observations.

Neither Cloud nor Cooper looked remotely competent on the defensive end against a franchise that is the consensus bottom dweller.

Roster construction is also a major problem lacking anything resembling a 4.

It appears the Mercury share with the Suns this incompetence in roster construction. For the Suns the inexcusable consolidation of the entire salary cap in three players is a head scratcher. The Mercury however it's not a head scratcher as the front office under the previous administration engaged in malpractice both in formulating the roster, strategy, dealing away draft picks, as the salary was concentrated in the now infamous Skyler, DT, BG trio.

The new owner and administration has moved on to million dollar Nate for a new start. As a long time Mercury fan I can discern no change in culture or competence.

Looks like the Mercury and not the Spark are the door mat of the W.

Loyal Mercury fans are finally showing their discouragement as 4800 showed up to watch the pathetic effort by the Mercury. Contrast that preseason attendance with the Clark-led fever shut out.

The 17 minute foul out by Bella says it all about the past, present and future of this once proud franchise.
I understand the frustration, but I wouldn't read too much into a preseason game with players who are just getting used to each other, especially on the defensive end.

Cloud was a first team defender in 2022, and Allen is known as one of best defenders in league. Copper can get after it on defense too and you still have Griner clogging up the middle. The less said about DT's defense the better, but there should be plenty of capable defenders on the roster

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
NY waived Esmery Martinez and Jaylyn Sherrod.

Atlanta, LA (just waived Billings), PHX, Minn, and Seattle are on the clock

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
LA - Julie Allemand is out for the 2024 season due to a Personal Decision.
IN - Damiris Dantas is temporarily suspended.
ATL - Lorela Cubaj is temporarily suspended.
MN - Dorka Juhász is temporarily suspended.
CT - Jocelyn Willoughby was waived by the Connecticut Sun.
CT - Sydney Wiese was waived by the Connecticut Sun.
CHI - Brynna Maxwell was waived by the Chicago Sky.
SEA - Joyner Holmes was waived by the Seattle Storm.

Reaction Score
NY waived Esmery Martinez and Jaylyn Sherrod.

Atlanta, LA (just waived Billings), PHX, Minn, and Seattle are on the clock
NY never should have kept Sabally last year, the 2 sisters are both walking injuries. They give you one year and then are injury prone.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
According to Aces beat writer Callie Lawson-Freeman:

Seems like they're taking the slow approach to bringing Chelsea back. Given who the first two opponents are (wounded Mercury and the LottoSparks), I don't see that as a bad thing. I just hope that KP can keep the TOs to a minimum.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
OK well now with Griner out indefinitely with a toe fracture, it seems like the Mercury's backup center option is...Liz Dixon? Natasha Mack?

I would run, not walk, to claim Billings off waivers, imo. Or even give Ruthy Hebard a look.

Reaction Score

It is Dallas so, who knows what they are trying to do.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
. I just hope that KP can keep the TOs to a minimum.
Is that really an issue? Averaging 2 TOs per game in nearly 200 career games. Hardly seems excessive. 2:1 A/TO which is solid.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Is that really an issue? Averaging 2 TOs per game in nearly 200 career games. Hardly seems excessive. 2:1 A/TO which is solid.
She had 10 TOs against the Liberty in the Finals (who didn't have any noted perimeter defenders outside of Laney-Hamilton and she was the primary ballhandler in only one of those games) and just had five against Puerto Rico (who doesn't have any WNBA-caliber players). She'll be facing off against Natasha Cloud (a noted agitator on defense) in the opener.

It can be an issue, hence why I said what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom