Willie Cauley-Stein out for title game | The Boneyard

Willie Cauley-Stein out for title game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting that some of the analysts from CBS this afternoon were saying that with him being out, they expect UConn to run a lot of ball screens as the other forwards are not nearly as good as covering them. Could be a huge factor.

Reaction Score
Interesting that some of the analysts from CBS this afternoon were saying that with him being out, they expect UConn to run a lot of ball screens as the other forwards are not nearly as good as covering them. Could be a huge factor.
As if that's not something we did already...

They've got height, but they don't play defense nearly as well as Florida or Michigan State. And while their offense is very good (at least in the NCAAs), but they haven't played a defense as good as ours since they lost to Florida...and our defense is quicker than Florida's, and our ball pressure is better than Florida's.

But, they'll kill us on the boards, and the refs will let them murder Olander and eat his heart on the court (and then probably call a foul on Olander for getting blood on one of the Harrisons)...so we are DOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Reaction Score
They've got height, but they don't play defense nearly as well as Florida or Michigan State. And while their offense is very good (at least in the NCAAs), but they haven't played a defense as good as ours since they lost to Florida...and our defense is quicker than Florida's, and our ball pressure is better than Florida's.

They beat Louisville, who has a defense both as good and as quick as ours. Wichita's defense is also as good as ours, but Kentucky had an uncharacteristically good shooting display to beat them (yes, I think they got lucky).

Reaction Score
I think a lot will have to do with how the game is called. If it is called with no bias- then we have a good shot of controlling a high enough % of shots in the paint to win. MSU, Nova and FLA were all much better then us in the paint. I really do not see what the difference is with Uk.

Reaction Score
They beat Louisville, who has a defense both as good and as quick as ours. Wichita's defense is also as good as ours, but Kentucky had an uncharacteristically good shooting display to beat them (yes, I think they got lucky).
Louisville's defense is indeed as quick as ours. I mispoke. And it is as good as ours at the guard spot--no one is as quick as Russ smith--but not their others players.

But they do two different things: they pick up full court, and they play a matchup zone. The ball pressure we apply to turn them over is in the front court, and it's the whole front court. Louisville tries to turn you over in the backcourt. While they do put pressure on the ball handlers, they certainly allowed room to breathe once the press was broken.

They rotate a lot of bodies in, too--some are much better defenders than others.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I haven't seen man to man half court defense at the guard position like what we are playing right now from anyone in the country this year. Guys' are at another level.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are athletic, long and quick, exactly the description of teams that have given us trouble, but they lack discipline and that's something that we may be able to exploit.

That said....We're doomed!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They are athletic, long and quick, exactly the description of teams that have given us trouble, but they lack discipline and that's something that we may be able to exploit.

That said....We're doomed!

So were Michigan and Florida. UCONN's guards are quicker imo. Dooooomed.

Reaction Score

Louisville shot 4-15 from 3 (27%) and 13-23 (56%) from free throw line.

Kentucky went 22-27 from free throw line (82%).

Those are the numbers that mean something to me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sad to see the kid injured, but I'll take any advantage I can get. This is not a beauty pageant, and I don't give a if they are playing hobbled, or down a man, or if we get an asterisk if we win. Just like the fugly Butler-UCONN NC game - all anyone really remembers is that UCONN now has 3.

Reaction Score
The Harrison twins are huge . Not very athletic , and not efficient at all. Kentuckys game is crashing the glass and bullying downlow. they beat ville because at its heart ville plays a junk defense DEPENDENT on turnovers . Kentucky is just too predictable offensively

Reaction Score
The Harrison twins are huge . Not very athletic , and not efficient at all. Kentuckys game is crashing the glass and bullying downlow. they beat ville because at its heart ville plays a junk defense DEPENDENT on turnovers . Kentucky is just too predictable offensively
We'll see. We keep the Harrisons and Young out of the paint without fouling too much, and their offense will stagnate. But nobody in the tournament has done that so far...so we're probably DOOOOOOOOOMED!

Also, the Harrisons get frustrated and let their emotions come out a little too much. I wouldn't be surprised if Boat frustrates one of them and, because no foul is called and they hit him with an elbow, or push him (like Dakari Johnson did down low)...

Reaction Score
Twin.png
I think they look alike

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Sad to see the kid injured, but I'll take any advantage I can get. This is not a beauty pageant, and I don't give a if they are playing hobbled, or down a man, or if we get an asterisk if we win. Just like the fugly Butler-UCONN NC game - all anyone really remembers is that UCONN now has 3.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A defensive whiz like Calhoun probably saw plenty of beauty in holding Butler to 19% shooting and TWO points in the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom