Will non P5 schools be on a level playing field? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will non P5 schools be on a level playing field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Illegal tieing arrangements on their face. If it happens, will cause law suits which will ultimately be successful (despite some thinking you can tell how a lawsuit will come out by looking at what states have P-5 teams). The fat lady is a long, long way from having finished her song on this one.

Reaction Score
Illegal tieing arrangements on their face. If it happens, will cause law suits which will ultimately be successful (despite some thinking you can tell how a lawsuit will come out by looking at what states have P-5 teams). The fat lady is a long, long way from having finished her song on this one.
hope you're right.

Reaction Score
Counsellor, I defer to you in this area due to your expertise.

Reaction Score
The arbitrary nature by which the magical number of 65, was achieved is what has always pizzed me off. They have to come up with an objective way, i.e size of athelteic budget to be included. How the hell is UConn going to be able to play by those rules if it would require that they get votes from schools in their own conference who would be at a disadvantage???

Anyone else feel like the NCAA is on the edge of totally collapsing?

Reaction Score
I agree with BusinessLawyer that in its current form it will likely be challenged and modified before it is implemented. UConn arguably has the strongest case to make against exclusion. By virtually any metric, UConn surpasses many members of P5 conferences. The only exception is length of time playing FBS. If the Big12 takes Cincy and BYU, look for the cartel to add this metric in an attempt to sideline UConn and USF. Although, I still contend, it will be a lot easier adding UConn than excluding it. Depending upon how this plays out, I think many would be inspired to throw some money behind the legal effort.

pj

Reaction Score
To fix this, they'd have to have equal votes on the issues of shared governance, and carve out areas of independent governance in which sub-associations of conferences could make their own rules. Then the P5 could group together, the G5 could group together, and the FCS could group. Each would govern itself on those matters. In this proposal, the P5 conferences effectively have complete authority over their own rules but retain authority over the other schools (thanks to the 4x voting weight and lack of autonomy of the G5/FCS). It is a gross power grab.

Reaction Score
But again, it's not up to Aresco and the AAC schools whether they can follow all the P5 changes.

If you want to adopt the same actionable policies, it must be approved by the representatives of 27 other conferences. Read what you highlighted again in green. "Free to address the same issues through legislation considered by the new Council." This is exactly what I am saying. If the AAC wants to adopt actionable policies, it must get approval from 27 other conferences.

"although Division I members generally would be free to address the same or similar issues through legislation considered by the new Council .."

I would argue that if they intended that one conference would have to get approval from the other 27 they would use the word "other conferences" as opposed to "Division 1 members" in the above sentence. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
"although Division I members generally would be free to address the same or similar issues through legislation considered by the new Council .."

I would argue that if they intended that one conference would have to get approval from the other 27 they would use the word "other conferences" as opposed to "Division 1 members" in the above sentence. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Council is composed of the other 27 conferences.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
As a corollary to this discussion, which of the P-5 will not be able to keep up with the new benefits spending? Sometimes I feel that the future of conference realignment is finding replacements for those who opt out of the new spending regimes. Of course for that to happen, they'd have to decide that opting out of these rules is worth forgoing P-5 TV money. I am not confident that that math works.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a corollary to this discuss, which of the P-5 will not be able to keep up with the new benefits spending? Sometimes I feel that the future of conference realignment is finding replacements for those who opt out of the new spending regimes. Of course for that to happen, they'd have to decide that opting out of these rules is worth forgoing P-5 TV money. I am not confident that that math works.

It might not be a strictly economic decision. There are certain schools currently grandfathered into P5 Conferences who might decide that joining this new division of athletics is not in the best interest of their university's academic mission. I could easily see WFU, Vandy, and Northwestern giving the idea serious consideration.

All 3 currently stick out like sore thumbs in their respective conferences. Three elite privates with small enrollments, and non P5 Athletic support. While some of their alums would initially raise a stink, I believe the general apathy demonstrated by these fan bases in attending athletic events for the last 50 years tells the true story. They could form a conference of elite privates not included in the P5, competing against each other and the remaining conferences not included in this new super division. Three life rafts would open up, and UCONN would certainly be on one.

Reaction Score
Ldandy said:
It might not be a strictly economic decision. There are certain schools currently grandfathered into P5 Conferences who might decide that joining this new division of athletics is not in the best interest of their university's academic mission. I could easily see WFU, Vandy, and Northwestern giving the idea serious consideration.

All 3 currently stick out like sore thumbs in their respective conferences. Three elite privates with small enrollments, and non P5 Athletic support. While some of their alums would initially raise a stink, I believe the general apathy demonstrated by these fan bases in attending athletic events for the last 50 years tells the true story. They could form a conference of elite privates not included in the P5, competing against each other and the remaining conferences not included in this new super division. Three life rafts would open up, and UCONN would certainly be on one.

Except wake is one of the schools pushing these changes. No one is going to voluntarily give up their seat to make billions because they may have to spend a few million in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Except wake is one of the schools pushing these changes. No one is going to voluntarily give up their seat to make billions because they may have to spend a few million in my opinion.

Well Wake could be an exception, however I do believe there are certain institutions that could do just what you say no one would be willing to do. If things progress even further and all college athletes start receiving compensation beyond expanded cost of living I could see it happening. For the majority of schools, sports lose money. There are very few AD's in America that operate in the black. NW going the way of The University of Chicago is not as preposterous as you believe.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

There is absolutely zero chance of that happening.

Reaction Score
Ths TV Money Those Schools Are Getting Pretty Much Ensure No One Is Opting Out Of A P5, Conference. This Is The Power Grab To Go Along With The Previous Money Grab. All I Want To See Is How,UCONN Comes Out Of This. Our Leadership Has Been Far Too Quiet On This Which Is Strangely Comforting.

Reaction Score
Well Wake could be an exception, however I do believe there are certain institutions that could do just what you say no one would be willing to do. If things progress even further and all college athletes start receiving compensation beyond expanded cost of living I could see it happening. For the majority of schools, sports lose money. There are very few AD's in America that operate in the black. NW going the way of The University of Chicago is not as preposterous as you believe.

I believe this is right. If we go to a semi-pro model, I could easily see some schools opting out. Some fans would lose interest as well.

Reaction Score
Any school with a seat at the big boy table will think long and hard about giving up its seat. I think Northwestern is in regardless of the union or P5 rule changes.

Reaction Score
The Council is composed of the other 27 conferences.

I think we are on the same page - I'm not arguing that all 32 conferences(27+5) would not have to approve a proposed change, just that it can be an individual school petitioning for inclusion/approval as opposed to a full conference requesting inclusion/approval (UConn specific vs. AAC as a whole). Maybe AAC conference by-laws would disallow that but not certain on that point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I agree with this. As programs like Ohio State and Florida essentially become sponsors of professional sports teams, schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt will want nothing to do with it. The TV money seems like a lot, but as these schools start to develop payrolls that will eventually become several million dollars a year, the incremental profitability will not come close to justifying the negative stigma of being associated with this kind of activity.

Vanderbilt and Northwestern view Harvard, Yale and Princeton as their rivals, not Ohio State or Florida. Most people have no idea the level of contempt that serious academics at major universities have for major intercollegiate athletics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom