Will Chris Dailey also get a Statue? | The Boneyard

Will Chris Dailey also get a Statue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What has happened at UCONN, with regards to the woman's basketball team, is an historical event that will be better understood and appreciated long after Geno and Chris have left UCONN. It is very probable that what they did at UCONN will never be duplicated, by any sports team professional or amateur. They created a sports program that literally functions in a different plane of existence from the rest of the sports universe.

Now we all know that Geno will get his statue, or building, or some other fitting tribute to his greatness. However, if we are to believe Geno when he says that without Chris he and the University of Connecticut Woman's' Basketball would not be where they are today - then I have to assume that at some point in the future Geno will state:

"If the University of Connecticut or any other entity in the state of Connecticut decides to honor me with a statue or some type of public recognition, that whatever tribute is paid to me is also given to Chris Daiely.
If it's a statue, then right next to me will be a statue of Chris."

As far as history will be concerned - Geno and Chris will become historical sports figures for as long as there is life on this planet.

Reaction Score
They've been together for thirty years, they've seen the best and worst. The only thing they're not is married to each other, but at times it seems like a marriage.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
At what institution in the known universe has an Assistant Coach in any sport been honored with a statute? How delusional are you people? There will be no statute for CD and no significant mention of her when UConn is discussed in a historical context. No one ever mentions Assistant Coaches when discussing the greatness of a sports program. As an example, name even one of John Wooden's assistant coaches and where he is honored on any level.

Reaction Score
At what institution in the known universe has an Assistant Coach in any sport been honored with a statute? How delusional are you people? There will be no statute for CD and no significant mention of her when UConn is discussed in a historical context. No one ever mentions Assistant Coaches when discussing the greatness of a sports program. As an example, name even one of John Wooden's assistant coaches and where he is honored on any level.
Denny Crum

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
On one of the recent videos about Geno's legacy and the UConn program's success, Maya Moore was interviewed about CD and she said (approximately): "Yes, they disagree every now and then but I can't imagine one without the other -- kinda like Mom and Dad". I thought that was a telling comment, especially from a young woman whose father was not an important part of her life.

I think the "Mom and Dad" aspect of their relationship with the players is one of the unique attributes of the program, as is the sheer stability of the top-level coaching staff over so many years. I remember Renee Montgomery, in her second or third year in the WNBA, comparing the pro environment to college. She mentioned two things that were notably different in the pro league -- coaches quitting or getting fired, and getting traded or having teammates traded or cut.

I would speculate that more than a few players at UConn have experienced a greater "parental" relationship with two caring adults over their four years in Storrs than they had ever experienced previously in their lives. That will probably mean more to them than any accomplishment on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
You are 100% correct and at the same time 100% wrong!
First I doubt there will ever be a statute dedicated to Chris or a statue either. One being a rule or law in a persons name and the other being a monument of respect placed in a location for all to see.
Obviously new to the program you are forgiven. To say no significant mention of her when UConn is discussed in a historical context is simply wrong.
You use a John Wooden analogy which means you are thinking with a pre Title IX mentality. CD is constantly mentioned in the unique relationship that has brought multiple championships here. Anyone with any knowledge of sports would realize most all assistants connected to programs with a high success rate tend to move on and up as head coaches. Some go on to great heights others fail. Then there are those that know just where they fit and it works. That is CD.
There will be no statue of CD but you can rest assured she will never be left out of the history Geno with his side kick have done here. Special, unique, use what you want but there are not many coaching relationships like what we have witnessed here. She will be mentioned because Geno says so...

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
You are 100% correct and at the same time 100% wrong!
First I doubt there will ever be a statute dedicated to Chris or a statue either. One being a rule or law in a persons name and the other being a monument of respect placed in a location for all to see.
Obviously new to the program you are forgiven. To say no significant mention of her when UConn is discussed in a historical context is simply wrong.
You use a John Wooden analogy which means you are thinking with a pre Title IX mentality. CD is constantly mentioned in the unique relationship that has brought multiple championships here. Anyone with any knowledge of sports would realize most all assistants connected to programs with a high success rate tend to move on and up as head coaches. Some go on to great heights others fail. Then there are those that know just where they fit and it works. That is CD.
There will be no statue of CD but you can rest assured she will never be left out of the history Geno with his side kick have done here. Special, unique, use what you want but there are not many coaching relationships like what we have witnessed here. She will be mentioned because Geno says so...
Mickie DeMoss was Pat Summit's strong right-hand for more than 30 years of coaching and absolutely no one had suggested that she get a statue at UT, in point of fact if you mention her name, not many people would even know who she is.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Just face it folks, I'm not knocking CD or her contribution to the excellence and success of the UConn Program, but history recognizes the General, not the General's staff. Geno can praise her and credit her all he chooses and deservedly so, but when the accolades are discussed CD isn't mentioned very often. It's the "Geno Project" not the "Geno and CD Project."

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

TL;DR: "It's never been done before therefore it can never be done."

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
UConn is different.... this would be perfect:

Women+s+Final+Four+CMQxeC2dG7vx.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sure that no one would be surprised if UConn erected a commemorative statue to Geno Auriemma. I also think that if Geno were asked if Chris Dailey deserved a statue right alongside his, he would not hesitate to agree.

I don't think he would ask UConn to wait for another college to do something similar first.

Reaction Score
Well, it's settled then. Who shall we commission to create the Chis & Geno statue?

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Holly Warick is in the WBBHOF so CD ought to have 2 statues AND immediate inclusion into the HOF!:)

Reaction Score
There will be a statue of both Geno and CD, probably in the Champions Center. That honoring an assistant has never been done before matters not. What they have accomplished together has never been done before either.

Geno has extolled CD's value on numerous occasions: "He couldn't have done it without her." Their skills are different but complementary.

UConn women's basketball has always been about the team and not the individual. Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey are the ultimate team, and that's how they will be honored at UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn is different.... this would be perfect:
(picture snipped out)

LOL, Geno looks strangely sad in that photo.

"I was told there would be ice cream!"

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Semantics.

not at all, sawx: if you know anybody who works in academia, ask 'em about "assistant" profs vs. "associate" profs. Although we focus on college athletics, colleges and universities are academic institutions first (SEC excepted, perhaps :oops:), and such titles matter in academia.

Reaction Score
Soooo.... Perhaps the boneyard faithful could start a fund dedicated to raising money for a statue of Geno and CD- from appreciative, dedicated fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom