Will Apple Get Aggressive With ESPN? (Mike McCarthy @ Front Office Sports) | The Boneyard

Will Apple Get Aggressive With ESPN? (Mike McCarthy @ Front Office Sports)

Reaction Score

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I love they don’t even mention the ACC as an ESPN property lol

Reaction Score
What's been ignored is Apple has shot down twice the idea of buying ESPN on investor calls.

ESPN is zeroing in on selling to the professional sports leagues, possibly even as partners. If partnership were to happen, cash flow to continue the upward payouts for TV rights.

Reaction Score
There's a whole world of middle ground between fully disclose in your strategy and lying.

And commenting specifically about a company and a possible huge transaction lessens that middle ground a whole lot

Reaction Score
And commenting specifically about a company and a possible huge transaction lessens that middle ground a whole lot
One must factor in a system rife with corruption in this logic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It would be a dumb move and Apple is pretty good at not making dumb moves. ESPN is declining in value. Nobody watches sports center, they have no big names anymore and they mostly overpaid for their content portfolio. Culturally, it would probably be better off away from Disney, but then there is the issue of ABC providing another outlet for content.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It would be a dumb move and Apple is pretty good at not making dumb moves. ESPN is declining in value. Nobody watches sports center, they have no big names anymore and they mostly overpaid for their content portfolio. Culturally, it would probably be better off away from Disney, but then there is the issue of ABC providing another outlet for content.

I agree completely. Apple does not make dumb purchases, and buying a sinking ship like ESPN for more than its scrap value would be a dumb purchase. I could see Apply buying someone smaller and more appropriately priced, and building up from there.

Reaction Score
Uhh, if they said they were interested the price would soar.
The Disney side keeps pushing this narrative with hopes of putting in a bottom for its stock price. Apple rarely spends on acquisitions and the idea they would drop 50 billion for espn is highly unlikely.

Reaction Score
This won’t happen for many reasons. The people who are caught long Dis are pushing this narrative. Apple never makes acquisitions this big. Second, they don’t want Disney. Third, our friend Lina Kahn would block it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom