Wikipedia guide to the 2016 NCAA women's basketball tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wikipedia guide to the 2016 NCAA women's basketball tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Columbia's metro population is over 800,000. SF is about 250,000.
My job has made me a little bit of a map nerd, so I looked up a map of Columbia's boundaries. Columbia's up there is in terms of weird boundaries for a major city. Anyways, to your point, I agree that city limits are obviously an arbitrary way of determining city limits. By that definition, Kansas City is larger than Atlanta.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My job has made me a little bit of a map nerd, so I looked up a map of Columbia's boundaries. Columbia's up there is in terms of weird boundaries for a major city. Anyways, to your point, I agree that city limits are obviously an arbitrary way of determining city limits. By that definition, Kansas City is larger than Atlanta.

I'm a map nerd as well. As an aside - there are 2 reasons for the weird boundaries: 1) the city annexed Fort Jackson in the 60's so about 2/3 of the city's land area is actually an uninhabited portion of Fort Jackson and 2) South Carolina's annexation laws are so biased against cities, about the only way cities can annex is based on the need for expanded water and sewer service.

Jim

Reaction Score
I'm a map nerd as well. As an aside - there are 2 reasons for the weird boundaries: 1) the city annexed Fort Jackson in the 60's so about 2/3 of the city's land area is actually an uninhabited portion of Fort Jackson and 2) South Carolina's annexation laws are so biased against cities, about the only way cities can annex is based on the need for expanded water and sewer service.
So if I understand you correctly, the ultimate reason why Columbia isn't hosting an NCAA regional is because it doesn't need more water or sewers.:confused:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
So if I understand you correctly, the ultimate reason why Columbia isn't hosting an NCAA regional is because it doesn't need more water or sewers.:confused:

No, it has nothing to do with that. We're hosting the first 2 rounds. The initial point was simply that it's hard to get to Sioux Falls - for anyone - and once there, there isn't a lot to do on the off day. If you think about it, ND is close to home for the entire tournament since the Final Four is in their home state. Nonetheless, I'll be in Sioux Falls and Indy.

Reaction Score
No, it has nothing to do with that. We're hosting the first 2 rounds. The initial point was simply that it's hard to get to Sioux Falls - for anyone - and once there, there isn't a lot to do on the off day. If you think about it, ND is close to home for the entire tournament since the Final Four is in their home state. Nonetheless, I'll be in Sioux Falls and Indy.
There are some small colleges in Sioux Falls, so lots of young people. Thursday night is ladies night at all the bars. Karaoke too, in some. Also they know what a real steak is in SD (and it shouldn't cost $50-75).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
There are some small colleges in Sioux Falls, so lots of young people. Thursday night is ladies night at all the bars. Karaoke too, in some. Also they know what a real steak is in SD (and it shouldn't cost $50-75).

Thanks; I'm going to see what kind of trouble I can get into out there. ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I'm just curious: What are the things a visitor can do in Columbia or Lexington that one can't do in Sioux Falls?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm just curious: What are the things a visitor can do in Columbia or Lexington that one can't do in Sioux Falls?

Drive there for most of the country's population in a day. In Lexington you can go to horse races, in Columbia you can go to a national park, top-rated zoo, museums, kayaking, or even get to the beach or the mountains in less than 2 hours. Believe me, I've been searching for things to do in Sioux Falls and found a nice park. I'll investigate when I get there. Mainly, it's just not an easy place to get to.

Reaction Score
Drive there for most of the country's population in a day. In Lexington you can go to horse races, in Columbia you can go to a national park, top-rated zoo, museums, kayaking, or even get to the beach or the mountains in less than 2 hours. Believe me, I've been searching for things to do in Sioux Falls and found a nice park. I'll investigate when I get there. Mainly, it's just not an easy place to get to.
Hey, they have the famous Corn Palace - what else could you ask for??? ;)

http://www.cornpalace.org/

upload_2016-3-22_18-44-37.png

"The original Mitchell Corn Palace (known as "The Corn Belt Exposition") was built in 1892 to showcase the rich soil of South Dakota and encourage people to settle in the area..The exterior corn murals are replaced and redesigned each year with a new theme. The designs are created by local artists. From 1948 to 1971, the artist Oscar Howe designed the panels. Calvin Schultz designed the murals from 1977 to 2002. Since 2003, the murals have been designed by Cherie Ramsdell. No new mural was created in 2006 due to an extreme drought."

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Hey, they have the famous Corn Palace - what else could you ask for??? ;)

http://www.cornpalace.org/

View attachment 12738

"The original Mitchell Corn Palace (known as "The Corn Belt Exposition") was built in 1892 to showcase the rich soil of South Dakota and encourage people to settle in the area..The exterior corn murals are replaced and redesigned each year with a new theme. The designs are created by local artists. From 1948 to 1971, the artist Oscar Howe designed the panels. Calvin Schultz designed the murals from 1977 to 2002. Since 2003, the murals have been designed by Cherie Ramsdell. No new mural was created in 2006 due to an extreme drought."

LOL, I was actually looking into driving to Mitchell to check that out on the day between games. I'd love to see Mt. Rushmore, but it's hundreds of miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom