Why UConn WBB's 2023-24 season was one of program's most impressive | The Boneyard

Why UConn WBB's 2023-24 season was one of program's most impressive

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Sooooo many good things in this article ... made my eyes sweat a lil, again.

A house of cards.
That’s how Geno Auriemma describes the 2023-24 UConn women’s basketball season. Astonishing, yet fragile.
“Everybody saw the heart, the joy, the passion that we played with,” Paige Bueckers said. “We just love each other, and we enjoy being around each other. And this season meant everything to us, against all odds. Nobody thought we would be here.”
“Everything that's happened to them has just made them stronger. It's made them tougher; it's made them come together more,” Auriemma said. “There's a bond between these kids that's as strong, if not stronger, than any other group I've ever coached.”

Reaction Score
For me, this season tops our 1991 Final Four season. Nobody expected us to reach the Final Four that year considering the roster we had in 1991 and beating NC State, who was a powerhouse program back then and then with us losing to Virginia, who were led by Dawn Staley and our very own Tonya Cardoza. Plus the Burge sisters (Heidi & Heather). This year, given the injuries and roster moves, this one is super impressive! Great run, UConn. I am proud of this team and coaching staff.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was ok until this-

Paige, on Aaliyah and Nika: “They give everything to this program," Bueckers said. "I'm forever indebted to them, forever grateful for them not just the stuff on the court, but everything off the court as well. I know I get a lot of credit for what happens at UConn, but those two, they're underappreciated and don’t get a lot of the credit that they deserve. But they mean everything to this program, they mean everything to me."

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Before the season started, my main hope was for this team to get the chance to win their Elite 8 game, especially as the season began and we were losing players to injury again. I enjoyed the overseas videos, watching everyone having a great time. Then the season started and the first 7 games didn't go as hoped but this team didn't give up, and everyone of them seemed to get closer and closer. It was another "next man up" situation and each one stepped up in one way or another. Again, this was a TEAM, each one loving their teammates. Aaliyah and Nika showed their leadership and Paige was their on court Captain. This team was so together and it really showed, win or lose for the rest of the season.
I have to admit, I still get teary-eyed thinking of our two departing seniors and how much they will be missed. I also get teary-eyed when I see Nika today and at the same time remember her freshman year when she was sitting in her "chair", in tears after being talked to by Geno. She had 2 choices at that moment and we all know which one she made!!!! She became one of our greatest Huskies.
Thanks for sharing this heartwarming article.

Reaction Score
I read thru the article quickly and can't access it again, but I don't recall any mention of Shade. If so, the writer loses all my respect, they don't make it to the final 4 without her.

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't championship number 12, but this team brought a lot of smiles to our faces during the season. And after the rash of injuries left us wondering if we were facing a repeat of last season's crushing disappointment, they succeeded in coming together for an inspiring run to the FF.

I'll always remember this group in the same way I remember the '67 BoSox... who went from the basement the previous year all the way to the World Series. Which they didn't win, but that team sticks in my memory even after I've forgotten all the 'winners' that followed.

The sole bittersweet note is the departure of Amari and Ines... They are part of the good memories, and I wish them every success as they move forward!

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't championship number 12, but this team brought a lot of smiles to our faces during the season. And after the rash of injuries left us wondering if we were facing a repeat of last season's crushing disappointment, they succeeded in coming together for an inspiring run to the FF.

I'll always remember this group in the same way I remember the '67 BoSox... who went from the basement the previous year all the way to the World Series. Which they didn't win, but that team sticks in my memory even after I've forgotten all the 'winners' that followed.

The sole bittersweet note is the departure of Amari and Ines... They are part of the good memories, and I wish them every success as they move forward!
Ines and Amari will will be in a better place for them next season and two of the players on the roster will take their places at the end of the bench next year. It most likely will be a couple players we really had fun watching this year.

Reaction Score

A house of cards.
That’s how Geno Auriemma describes the 2023-24 UConn women’s basketball season. Astonishing, yet fragile.
“Everybody saw the heart, the joy, the passion that we played with,” Paige Bueckers said. “We just love each other, and we enjoy being around each other. And this season meant everything to us, against all odds. Nobody thought we would be here.”
“Everything that's happened to them has just made them stronger. It's made them tougher; it's made them come together more,” Auriemma said. “There's a bond between these kids that's as strong, if not stronger, than any other group I've ever coached.”
Oh my goodness! I have tears in my eyes after reading this article. It is such a great read, and I thank you for sharing it with us. Go Huskies! Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Not specific to this season, which is the subject of this story, but what other program has the incredible depth of past great players that are totally there for our current players, year in and year out - to celebrate them at that high points and to stand with them at their low points.

For Nika in particular, can you imagine getting a totally unexpected FaceTime to congratulate you on breaking her record from Sue Bird or from Moriah, just before the game where you are going to do the same to hers? And lastly, this from the article - after the Notre Dame game, undoubtably Nika at her lowest, waiting to leave Gampel until after everyone else left so no-one would see her crying. Breanna Stewart jumping off the bus to console an obviously distraught Nika.

“I was just bawling my eyes out and Breanna Stewart actually ran from the bus, and she just gave me a big hug,” Muhl said. Stewart was in town to celebrate the 2013-14 team being inducted into the Huskies of Honor. “She wiped my tears and she said, ‘This is all a process. This will all make sense. I've been in your shoes. I've been in your position. Lead your team. Don't let them see you like this. You got to stay strong for all of them.’
“… I took it very personal. I took to heart everything that she told me because I truly look up to her as a leader and as a player. I feel like that was a big turning moment for me to approach shoot-arounds differently, practices differently. Do the little things, listen better.”

Beside the incredible bond this team itself had - being part of the extended sisterhood of all those who have come before them is truly something very, very special.

Reaction Score
I read thru the article quickly and can't access it again, but I don't recall any mention of Shade. If so, the writer loses all my respect, they don't make it to the final 4 without her.
I agree with you 100%. Ashlynn became my favorit player. Her conditioning video got to me. I rooted for her for 5-6 games and she was Phenomenal . I then predicted Ashlynn would score 400+ points. She did not dissapoint me, She scored 419 points. I had posted that I didn't know where that number is in comparison to other freshmen, but it must be high. It showed Geno's gift of picking recruits to come to Uconn.The ONE upside to all the injuries was Geno found out early what a great re-cruitman class he had and adjusted accordingly. The Freshmen saved the season. The losses I hatedb but the WHOLE season was something to behold. I was more than satisfied with 34--6. GO GENO!!!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom