Why the ACC took Louisville | The Boneyard

Why the ACC took Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Charlie Strong left Petrino a full cupboard that's for sure!

Reaction Score
Yep, not much more you can say about it. Say what you will about Louisville as a school, but their fans are very much engaged and support their teams. They compete at a high level in most sports they play and they have the best AD in D1.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Charlie Strong left Petrino a full cupboard that's for sure!

He did. It's hard to believe that Connecticut can't replicate what Louisville did - but they flat out earned their invite to the big time. Their atmosphere is off the charts.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup. They were proactive in their Kragthorpe years: expanded their stadium, then hired Strong, and now they are breaking season ticket sales. I was thinking to myself earlier: would UCONN sell 55K tickets to a game against Miami if it were played TONIGHT. Sadly, I don't think we would. We barely moved 35K for BYU and that was with a last-second $20 surge led primarily by the fans spreading the word.

We can make fun of their academics and rightfully so, but man, their fanbase Cards Up. Sellouts. Blackouts. Season ticket sales records. Meanwhile, we'll be VERY lucky to get 30K this Saturday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup. They were proactive in their Kragthorpe years: expanded their stadium, then hired Strong, and now they are breaking season ticket sales. I was thinking to myself earlier: would UCONN sell 55K tickets to a game against Miami if it were played TONIGHT. Sadly, I don't think we would. We barely moved 35K for BYU and that was with a last-second $20 surge led primarily by the fans spreading the word.

We can make fun of their academics and rightfully so, but man, their fanbase Cards Up. Sellouts. Blackouts. Season ticket sales records. Meanwhile, we'll be VERY lucky to get 30K this Saturday.

The state would have to furlough actual prisioners to Rentschler to get 30k in the stadium Saturday.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The state would have to furlough actual prisioners to Rentschler to get 30k in the stadium Saturday.

You never know. There could be a hurricane in the northeast and the Rent could be used as some sort of regional checkpoint for food and supplies this weekend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You never know. There could be a hurricane in the northeast and the Rent could be used as some sort of regional checkpoint for food and supplies this weekend.

That was my other joke.

Reaction Score
If Uconn didn't look like a high school team last year and looked like Louisville did we would get close I think. From what I can Tell though we would be lucky to get 14 yards all game nevermind points with our current setup

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Assuming you have a television that gets ESPN you don't ever need to question their decision again.
What if they choke this away and go 3-9? What if because of the losing season they average 40,000 fans? Likely? Maybe not but would it look like a stroke of genius then?

Reaction Score
They interviewed the Louisville AD during the game. You can see how he was active in developing that school's athletics rather than watching others. He was even eloquent when discussing his hiring of Petrino. What a difference. Louisville actually looks big time.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They interviewed the Louisville AD during the game. You can see how he was active in developing that school's athletics rather than watching others. He was even eloquent when discussing his hiring of Petrino. What a difference. Louisville actually looks big time.
Warde Manuel oversaw as many NCAA titles this year as Louisville has had in the history of the university.

Reaction Score
Glad to see most of you looking inward instead of making jokes about other schools. Perhaps this is our first step toward improving ourselves (please, no comments about national championships as they have not gotten us into the P5)

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What if they choke this away and go 3-9? What if because of the losing season they average 40,000 fans? Likely? Maybe not but would it look like a stroke of genius then?

Yeah they are totally going 3-9 and they totally don't have fans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because UConn has been secretly seeing someone else?

I'm not even sure if you are a UConn fan... but the Big Ten stuff is a dream wrapped in a fantasy.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yeah they are totally going 3-9 and they totally don't have fans.
They averaged 32,000 5 years ago. A couple of injuries or the inevitable Petrino implosion and they could be right back there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They averaged 32,000 5 years ago. A couple of injuries or the inevitable Petrino implosion and they could be right back there.

I think California is giving you a safe distance from reality. That team is loaded and has a top ten coach in the country. They just took Miami apart at the seams.

They are going to open 6-0 before heading to Clemson as a favorite.

Reaction Score
UL isn't going anywhere. Their commitment to winning is SEC level. I don't fault them either. The fans want to win and at UL they have decided that winning in sports is very important to the university and the region. They are going to improve academically because of the rise of their sports programs. As someone once said, sports are the front porch of the university.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here's another topic just begging th be rehashed for the umpteenth time...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Glad to see most of you looking inward instead of making jokes about other schools. Perhaps this is our first step toward improving ourselves (please, no comments about national championships as they have not gotten us into the P5)
I was rooting for the Ville...I put the "U" in Cuses category as an arrogant private and despise them for leaving the OBE after we took em in when no one else wanted them!! BTW Big statement win last night for the BE lol.WTF happened to the "U" after joining the ACC? I thought I was watching Ville/USF...?? Its hard to hate the "Ville" for looking out for there best interests. I dont feel so forgiving to our local traitors/privates and the "U".

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Here's another topic just begging th be rehashed for the umpteenth time...:rolleyes:
Here's another poster that's better than everyone else. Rehashing is only ok when you do it I guess.

Frankly, it isn't rehashing to say UL has things figured out when they go out and dismantle Miami with the help of Bobby Petrino. The point of the OP was "more evidence UL has this figured out" not "let's review old evidence that UL has things figured out."

I'm looking forward to the string of fresh and untouched topics you'll be producing for us this week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You asked if we could sell 55K tickets for Miami tonight. No probably not given what has occurred here in the last 3 years. But if it were the season after we played in the Fiesta Bowl, were invited into the ACC and added new seats to the stadium then yes I think we would. The optimism would be off the charts here.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You asked if we could sell 55K tickets for Miami tonight. No probably not given what has occurred here in the last 3 years. But if it were the season after we played in the Fiesta Bowl, were invited into the ACC and added new seats to the stadium then yes I think we would. The optimism would be off the charts here.

Don't discount the fact that the Ville and Miami have some history. Will Ville sell 55k for BC? No. Would we? Probably.

Reaction Score
I hear you pepband. I am speaking more generally though - if we had a slate of BC, Miami, NC State, and UNC this year at home with Cuse, CLemson, Va Tech and UNC next year, etc. Then we would have big crowds regularly. The losing in football and continous nut sack kicks we have taken in CR has beaten the fanbase down. If we ever got into the ACC or B1G the season ticket sales would fly and fans would come out of the woodwork initially. As CAHUSKY posted earlier, when L'ville was losing under Kragthorpe their attendance was in the low 30s. It takes its toll. We currently have a tty conference and a losing football team. If L ville was 10-23 over the past three seasons and was playing SMU, Memphis and Temple in football they would not be getting anywhere near 55K in that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom