Why so many isolations on final plays? | The Boneyard

Why so many isolations on final plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seriously, do coaches even draw up plays any more? Grant blew a huge upset with insanely selfish play in the last 2 minutes, and Brey didn't seem to care. Taking a crazy pull-up 3 at the end of the game or as the shot clock is running down is not gutsy. It is hoping for a miracle, and also disrespectful to your teammates. Grant wasn't even thinking about passing on any of those last 3 possessions.

If I was a Notre Dame player, I would want to punch Grant in the face right now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It looked like on their last three full possessions ND was more concerned with running the clock than running offense. That is as much on Brey as anyone. On the last play, as he was triple teamed he should have realized he would have at least one open teammate in the lane (there were two).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn is famous for this
Sometimes its - give it to your best and let it go
I don't like it

Reaction Score
Truth is too much Grant the last 2 minutes and not enough movement. On Brey he needed to get it out if his hands by the 12-13 second mark.

Too bad, I hate Calipari......his smugness at halftime was typical.

Reaction Score
Players win games. I had no problem giving the ball to walker or bazz late and letting them decide. You won't win every time but I'll take more often than not.

Reaction Score
Brey stopped coaching. They did not do anything right those last 90 seconds.

It almost seems like not a single college coach understands end of game time management, or at lest has never explained it to their student athletes.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
To be fair UConn has won 2 national championships on the backs of Kemba and Shabazz playing a lot of hero ball. We were all ok with it because it worked those 2 years, but most of the time it doesn't.

The last time UConn actually ran a decent offense was the '09 Final Four team. And since then they've hung 2 banners. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Townes had his way. Brey kept that kid with 4 fouls on him. Bad move he was ND best player.

I think Grant was exhausted also causing dumb decisions.

Reaction Score
I guess you had a problem with the call against Pitt in the 2011 BET?
The problem is Grant is no Bazz or Kemba. I would have wanted that ball in the hands of Connaughton or Vestavia at some point during those last few possessions. They were winning the game running their stuff, so why did they go to isolation? Dumb or maybe Grant didn't get into their offense early enough and UK snuffed it out preventing them from getting into it.

Reaction Score
The problem is Grant is no Bazz or Kemba. I would have wanted that ball in the hands of Connaughton or Vestavia at some point during those last few possessions. They were winning the game running their stuff, so why did they go to isolation? Dumb or maybe Grant didn't get into their offense early enough and UK snuffed it out preventing them from getting into it.

Grant is one of the best players in the country. Putting the ball in his hands was absolutely the right call, IMO.

Reaction Score

That was a play, Oriakhi came up for a pick and that's why McGhee switched onto Kemba (Calhoun of course knew that Pitt always switches)

That isn't comparable at all to what Nelson was bringing up

Reaction Score
That was a play, Oriakhi came up for a pick and that's why McGhee switched onto Kemba (Calhoun of course knew that Pitt always switches)

That isn't comparable at all to what Nelson was bringing up

I think it is extremely comparable, unless we are thinking of different plays. Much like Kemba got a ball screen in anticipation that Pitt would switch, Grant also got a ball screen, and twice, got switched onto Cauley-Stein. Difference was, WCS is a much better perimeter defender than McGee, and Kemba's a little quicker than Grant. But in terms of the thought process that went into the design, it's very comparable.

caw

Reaction Score
I think it is extremely comparable, unless we are thinking of different plays. Much like Kemba got a ball screen in anticipation that Pitt would switch, Grant also got a ball screen, and twice, got switched onto Cauley-Stein. Difference was, WCS is a much better perimeter defender than McGee, and Kemba's a little quicker than Grant. But in terms of the thought process that went into the design, it's very comparable.

Then it was a poor play call by the coach. Kemba was supposed to get the pick from Oriakhi? But changed it to Smith? Bc of who was defending each. He knew he could get a good shot against one defender and not as good a shot against the other.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Grant spent too much time watching Chicago Bulls games films and thought he was Jordan.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Then it was a poor play call by the coach. Kemba was supposed to get the pick from Oriakhi? But changed it to Smith? Bc of who was defending each. He knew he could get a good shot against one defender and not as good a shot against the other.
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was the one who set the screen. The play was whoever McGee was guarding (Jamal Coombs-McDaniel) sets the screen, if they switch, go one-on-one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, the 2011 BET was the opposite of Hero Ball. Grant racing into the corner as time expires and trying to get a 3 off against three future NBA players while stopping his momentum to the baseline, is the definition of Hero Ball.

There were about 4 potential first round upsets that weren't because of Hero Ball at the end. Ironically, Northeastern vs. Notre Dame was one of those games.

As for last year's championship, rewind the last 40 seconds and tell me which team was playing Hero Ball.

Reaction Score
Brey burned his last timeout a few plays prior when ND was bringing up the floor. They had 6 seconds and no timeouts left for the final play. He doesn't get to talk to his kids or draw up a play. I'm surprised they got that good of a look for a win.
Lots of second guessing happens after - foul, why the timeout prior, easier two for tie, etc. but those dynamics are what makes it the best tournament in all of sports.

Reaction Score
Look at these selfish plays. What awful coaching. No play drawn up, just give it to a guy and start praying. I mean just look at that crazy chuck at 2:49. And 2:25, just running right up and chucking a desperation 3 with a hand directly in a face. Or 3:05, tiny dude trying to step-back-pull-up up from NBA range. Just trying to be heroes out there.

If I was a UConn player, I'd want to punch Kemba, Bazz, AJ, KEA, and Ray all in the face.

Reaction Score
Have you seen Gonzaga's end of half and game plays where they ISO for Pangos? Few does it 90% of the time and it never works because he can't create a good shot for himself off the dribble.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the game was tied when Grant launched his last second three you may have an argument. The worst case scenario in the Pitt game was overtime.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Look at these selfish plays. What awful coaching. No play drawn up, just give it to a guy and start praying. I mean just look at that crazy chuck at 2:49. And 2:25, just running right up and chucking a desperation 3 with a hand directly in a face. Or 3:05, tiny dude trying to step-back-pull-up up from NBA range. Just trying to be heroes out there.

If I was a UConn player, I'd want to punch Kemba, Bazz, AJ, KEA, and Ray all in the face.

Either you didn't watch the video or don't understand what you are looking at. About 1/3 of the shots in that video were actually off assists. Most of the rest were off picks. Ray against GTown was a 1-0n-1. Ray is going to the NBA Hall of Fame. The two KEA buzzer beaters were questionable shot selection. In other words, your video made my point. Thank you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Brey burned his last timeout a few plays prior when ND was bringing up the floor. They had 6 seconds and no timeouts left for the final play. He doesn't get to talk to his kids or draw up a play. I'm surprised they got that good of a look for a win.
Lots of second guessing happens after - foul, why the timeout prior, easier two for tie, etc. but those dynamics are what makes it the best tournament in all of sports.

Every team should have about 10 end-of-game plays that the whole team knows by heart.

Reaction Score
I wanted to know why Brey used his last timeout after they just had a long review stoppage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom