Why not try adding to these to make a new conference? | The Boneyard

Why not try adding to these to make a new conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been a die hard UConn fan since the day's of Cliff Robinson. I am sad to see the Big East and it's great traditions coming to an end. With that said, there are ways of trying to flip this negative into a great postive. The way you can do it, is make a new conference with a few new teams.

I am not at all suggesting that this will happen, I'm more or less saying that it is possible to get the ball rolling and bring in some new teams with som respectablity. Here is my proposed plan:

The left over schools:UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, UCF, Houston, Tulane, SMU

Now for teams imho that I honestly think would be willing to listen and see what this conference has to offer.

VCU-The catholic 7 is not interested in them, which I think is a huge mistake. I have a ton of repsect for Smart.He has built this team into a power. The future is bright for them. A-10 is falling apart, this conference could offer them what they are looking for-respectability.

St.Louis-Nice program that seems to be turning the corner as far as excellence goes. I think it would be a smart move on thier part to listen if UConn, Cincy and Memphis came calling.

UAB-The Blazers have seen there up and down's but have had some great games vs Memphis. Not a bad option since Conference USA is almost depleted.

Dayton-Great fan base and home court. That town is great for basketball. Shocked C-7 want nothing to do with them.

Richmond-Nice little program, that has had good success in Ncaa tourney. Would be a nice little rivalry between them and VCU.

LaSalle-Never hurts to bring in another philly team into a new conference. My only hope is that Temple would resist ideal of them back in same conference again.

Wichita St-Word is, C-7 is taking Creighton with them. So why not, take the next best team from the MVC. We all saw how hard the played aganist Huskies in Maui. I think it would be a great and wise move to invite them.

Virginia-I know you are shaking your head no but, there have been rumors that some of the old ACC teams, that have stuck around are getting frustrated with the direction of the new conference ahead. Very respected team and head coach in Bennett. I say why not-the ACC did this to Big East before. It never hurts to ask.

Clemson-Basically everything I said goes double for Clemson. Also if you factor them in, don't forget you are adding a top ten team in football every year. Win-win situation for everyone and food for thought. Clemson has been wanting to move for past 3 years now. I say why not accodomate them.

Boston College-I know many of you are getting quite ill over this team but hear me out. I think it is time to mend fences with BC. Admit it, you miss beating them ever year and this how fun it would if they played in football every year. I can just picture it-UConn vs BC at Gillette stadium on espn sat nite game. I think the Eagles are another team mad at the ACC bringing in all those teams. I think they would listen at least.

Look, I am not at all implying that all these teams would come and jump over here but there are schools out there, they can be had and are more then willing to listen. This could be a brand new exciting start for UConn. Some of those team's may not sexy but let's remember, UConn wasn't all that much of a sexy name to the Big East when it first started either. They took baby steps and look how they have turned out. I think with the right people in charge that a new direction can be charted and success could be had. So in the end, what d you guys think of it? Not saying we need a 16 team conference, but why not just a handful of these teams and we would be good to go. Just my honest thoughts.

Reaction Score
I saw UVa, Clemson an BC as suggestions and decided not to read this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How can it possibly get worse around here? Oh I know. Clemson and Dayton joining forces in an unnamed league.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Virginia, Clemson and BCU will not leave the ACC for the NBE unless the ACC implodes which is possible. It would be a loss of millions of dollars to them otherwise. The thing is if the ACC implodes it will most likely be because Virginia will be heading to the B!G and Clemson to the B12 causing the implosion. BC might be one of the remaining ACC schools left after other conferences raid the ACC and ultimately find itself back with a merged NBE - remnants of the ACC.

As much as some of the other schools you have listed could help the NBE improve its bb component, the instability of the BE was the differences that the BB only schools had with the football/bb schools which became magnified as the football formula for distribution of revenues were taken away from the NCAA. Football/bb schools will very likely never want to combine with any bb only schools in the future as long as the current system of money distributions exist.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the ACC explodes it will be because Virginia and Clemson left. They don't get stuck holding the bag.

Reaction Score
If the ACC loses teams to other conferences, they will poach the NNBE. Not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Virginia, Clemson and BCU will not leave the ACC for the NBE unless the ACC implodes which is possible. It would be a loss of millions of dollars to them otherwise. The thing is if the ACC implodes it will most likely be because Virginia will be heading to the B!G and Clemson to the B12 causing the implosion. BC might be one of the remaining ACC schools left after other conferences raid the ACC and ultimately find itself back with a merged NBE - remnants of the ACC.

As much as some of the other schools you have listed could help the NBE improve its bb component, the instability of the BE was the differences that the BB only schools had with the football/bb schools which became magnified as the football formula for distribution of revenues were taken away from the NCAA. Football/bb schools will very likely never want to combine with any bb only schools in the future as long as the current system of money distributions exist.
I hate to be a shallow DB. But how nice would if be if Quse, Lville and Pitt turned out to be the best teams in the ACC in few years. Right now there are two and if they leave together those schools just exchanged one sinking ship for another. Karma is a bitch.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hate to be a shallow DB. But how nice would if be if Quse, Lville and Pitt turned out to be the best teams in the ACC in few years. Right now there are two and if they leave together those schools just exchanged one sinking ship for another. Karma is a bitch.
This preference would not be DBery in my book by a long shot. It would be poetic justice. Of course UConn could end up in this conference as well with all of those teams or just some of those teams and fans from schools such as UMass or PC would say Karma is a bitch to us.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom