Why not give McCummings a start? | The Boneyard

Why not give McCummings a start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This would be a good time to find out if he can play a full game at QB. It would do a couple of things.

It would give Whitmer a chance to watch a game from the sideline. Take him out of the line of fire. Let him heal a little bit. Sometimes you can learn more by watching, get a bit of a different perspective. I think it would help him.

Second, let's find out if SM can throw the pill. Will he ever develop into a real QB? He is the classic duo threat. He would give the offense a new dimension. He has been a good soldier, why not reward him with a start?

Of course, it's unlikely that P. will change anything. He hates change. After all, why interrupt a "work in progress." But since the season is lost, why not use it to learn something?

Reaction Score
You could put Aaron Rodgers behind this line right now and he would be running for his life too.
The O line (coached by GDL) is kiling us.
It seems that on every play last night some Cuse player was flying by Jimmy Bennett.

Reaction Score
I think CW is playing about as well as possible given the circumstances. That said, I would start playing lots of young guys to see who can play at this level and I would start with the OL and RB. I would also start trying folks out at DE, because we have an issue their right now and next year it gets more severe.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Whitmer phillips and davis are a nice start for our next staffs future. Call up umass or bc and send scott home please.

Reaction Score
GDL had his lunch eaten last night. McCummings was dead meat the moment he stepped on the field and it was not his fault. The irony of the wildcat is that for some reason GDL thinks it takes time for defenses to prepare for it. All you need to do is scrape and push and keep a LB or safety on the TE. That takes time to figure out?

Reaction Score
I think CW is playing about as well as possible given the circumstances. That said, I would start playing lots of young guys to see who can play at this level and I would start with the OL and RB. I would also start trying folks out at DE, because we have an issue their right now and next year it gets more severe.

I would like to see them experiment with position switches on the O Line. Bennett is not recovered from surgery. It is obvious. Move Masters to left tackle, Steve Greene to right tackle, and Kevin Friend to guard. Open competition at the other guard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Isn't it pretty clear that he can't?
We don't know because the only play called out of the Wildcat is QB keeper.

Whitmer is sneaky becoming one of my favorite players. At least he's taken steps forward this season, in the face of adversity (aka a sieve of a line). I understand the sentiment but I like seeing him out there and seeing him improve.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes, let's take one of the only guys who is playing well off the field. I guy who can still use the live reps to work on his reads, accuracy and chemistry with his receivers. Let's take him off for a running/can't throw QB. And I thought GDL didn't have a clue.

Reaction Score
Dumbest thread ever.

Whitmer can ball, has courage behind DeLeones line, shows fire...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We don't know because the only play called out of the Wildcat is QB keeper.
quote]

just becuase im in th mood mike, mccumings has gotten a handful of chances to throw the ball this year. several of those have been in key situation where he has had a WIDEOPEN wr that he has over thrown. he did that all last year also. i rather have casey taken snaps in practice then waste time with mccumings and the wildcat.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This would be a good time to find out if he can play a full game at QB. It would do a couple of things.

It would give Whitmer a chance to watch a game from the sideline. Take him out of the line of fire. Let him heal a little bit. Sometimes you can learn more by watching, get a bit of a different perspective. I think it would help him.

Second, let's find out if SM can throw the pill. Will he ever develop into a real QB? He is the classic duo threat. He would give the offense a new dimension. He has been a good soldier, why not reward him with a start?

Of course, it's unlikely that P. will change anything. He hates change. After all, why interrupt a "work in progress." But since the season is lost, why not use it to learn something?

I understand your premise of "what do we have to lose?" but I think benching Whitmer loses Whitmer for good. Chandler Whitmer was the best player on our field last night (G Davis showed heart too, I thought) and isn't the problem. The problem is really our offensive line and poor coaching techniques. This team quit last night. That much is clear. So I agree that changes to our depth chart need to be made (we can start by removing EVERYBODY from our starting OL) but making a change at QB isn't the move. We will need Whitmer next year because Casey will still be developing and won't be ready to be the starter, given our terrible OL.

But I do agree that mixing McCummings in for more than lousy wildcat plays wouldn't hurt, to some degree. Maybe play him a full series without that wildcat nonsense. If he plays his way in more, then play him more. At this point, we're finishing 3-9 no matter who is under center.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Last year it was Nebrich, now it's McCummings. You just want whoever isn't playing to play? Whitmer needs reps. It's all about next year. Build rapport with his center, Davis and Phillips.

McCummings has shown he can't throw the ball. Actually at this point, maybe they try him as a running back.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Whitmer isn't the problem. He's the last guy I'd replace. I just hope he keeps dodging those oncoming trains that keep barreling through our line.

Reaction Score
I always thought the wildcat worked better when both QBs were on the field at the same time. I'd keep Whitmer in the QB spot and either flank McCummings or put him behind Whitmer in the pistol. Whitmer has shown that he can run a bit, so you could use designed QB runs occasionally. Flanking McCummings gives you lots of options with him. BTW what was the pf called on Whitmer after the interception? I'm really liking him as a player and I was glad to see Griffen get more involved.

Reaction Score
I think Whitmer will get better by sitting and watching a game. He has plateaued at this point. Watching someone else run the offense will give him a new perspective. Just leaving him out there to get pounded -I believe- will do more harm than good. Let him rest, heal and come back with a new perspective.

Yes, he has been an improvement at QB. But he can't overcome the difficulties posed by his own offensive line. A true duo threat QB may be able to do that.

Reaction Score

Can't remember a worse idea from you.

Reaction Score
Whitmer is not the problem. The kid can play. He's getting better and if we can keep him for three years we are going to have an all big east qb.

Maybe mccummings can play guard. That's a better idea, IMO

Reaction Score
Whitmer is not the problem. The kid can play. He's getting better and if we can keep him for three years we are going to have an all big east qb.

Maybe mccummings can play guard. That's a better idea, IMO
Mccummings is a drive stopper thanks to GDL. The timing of putting him the game could not be worse. Turns a makeable 2nd and 5 into 3rd and 9 everytime.

Reaction Score
Mccummings is a drive stopper thanks to GDL. The timing of putting him the game could not be worse. Turns a makeable 2nd and 5 into 3rd and 9 everytime.

I agree. I like McCummings, but everyone knows what is coming when he is in the game, and we don't block we'll enough to forecast our intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom