Why Can't New York Produce Top Prospects? | The Boneyard

Why Can't New York Produce Top Prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shamar gave the answer in as few as words as necessary. Hoops prevails in NYS-- upstate as well as downstate. Also, remember that is the overwhelming case in NYC where more than half of the state population resides.

Look at our men's and women's basketball teams now as well as the past. We have always brought in really good hoopsters in both programs from NYS. We have gotten some pretty good football players, but the pool is much smaller. I live in the Albany area and we only occasionally produce Division IA football players, but regularly kick out pretty good hoopsters.

If you go to Rivals and look at their top football players in the various states, New York, like Connecticut , only shows a top ten. Other states show a top twenty or top thirty, or even more.

Reaction Score
I was coaching a pop warner game in Brooklyn once and asked the coaches about this and they pretty much said the same. Kids in NYC have very little interest in playing football. They just want to play hoops for the most part.

Reaction Score
Upstate is too cold for year round football.

Kids are indoors. You can even play soccer indoors, and of course hockey.

Reaction Score
Hoops and facilities would seem to be the biggest issues as well as socioeconomic factors. Baseball and soccer to a lesser extent.

Reaction Score
NYS can produce top football talent. The issue is player development. Football players in the South are more fully developed in high school than in the Northeast due to more coaching, more practice time, and better development while in high school. Colleges in the Northeast have to focus on player development if they are going to recruit locally and be successful.

Reaction Score
As someone who has followed high school football in NY city and surrounding area for long time there are number of reasons, in no set order here are some of them. As mentioned hoops is king in the city as is lacrosse in long island and growing in northern suburbs and of course baseball and soccer also big so more competition with other sports. It is also a repeating cycle as your coach while might be very dedicated might only have played high school or d3 , but if you live in another state greater chance one of your coaches played d1 or d1aa so has better knowledge of game from strategy to practices drills and techniques. Also likely to have more contacts at college level to get kids exposed and aware of the showcases out there to get kids exposed. Additionally schools in new York are more restricted as to who they can hire as coaches often due to teachers contracts or district policy as many districts have to offer coaching jobs to district employees and can not use unpaid volunteers to coach as they can in other states (note have no issues with teachers union just referencing constraint as far as hiring football coaches). All that being said there is a lot of untapped talent New York as lot of highly recruited have come out of area especially Brooklyn in past few years. Look at running back Stainback from ucf, he is a stud running back from long island, on bowl game announcer said he only had one d1 offer from Syracuse who pulled it after Morrone went to Buffalo Bills, they said Morrone called O'Leary at ucf who offered him. Former coach wholly was making some good inroads in new York last few years, last years recruiting class had four NYC area kids including fuchs and had ogoendko #1 player committed at one point, couple of the them were in rivals top ten for state and did well at events. UConn (wholly) was able to identify them early in recruiting process and locked them down. So think that if the new staff mines New York City and state see no reason why we can not attract couple of good players from there every year.

Reaction Score
Football is a masculine game of sacrifice and perseverance. The northeast has a lot of effeminate secular liberal types who don't believe in sacrifice and perseverance. The south is the Bible belt they like football because they they think that will help you become a man. Many in the northeast don't even think there is a difference between men and women. The south also has more black people, 70% of NFL players are black. Also the blacks are more well behaved and disciplined down south because of the strong religious culture. The blacks in the north have no self discipline, manners, or morals. I am black so this not racist. I have seen many blacks that were tremendous athletes that had to be kicked of the team because they wouldn't listen to the coach. Down south, young black men say "Yes sir." and "No sir" when the coach or somebody in authority tells them to do something.

This has to do with culture not weather. The Midwest has bad weather but they produce football players because they are not as secular and effeminate as the northeast.

Reaction Score
Great map...The "Bible Belt" in Southern VA / NC is not overly religious? CT/MA more religious than Bible Belt? Geez....

You're reading it wrong. The map shows the Bible belt is a lot more religious with red pockets everywhere down south. Connecticut is showing pink/gray, no red. i.e. Not very religious. The bible belt is also showing that it's not as religious as Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas or the Plains states. I think that's actually believable.

Are you looking at Long Island, because it's very red? Confusing with Conn? LI has a high degree of religiosity, but remember, this isn't about reading your bible. It's about devotion to religion. 20% of LI is Jewish, with Catholics making over 50% otherwise.

Reaction Score
Football is a masculine game of sacrifice and perseverance. The northeast has a lot of effeminate secular liberal types who don't believe in sacrifice and perseverance. The south is the Bible belt they like football because they they think that will help you become a man. Many in the northeast don't even think there is a difference between men and women. The south also has more black people, 70% of NFL players are black. Also the blacks are more well behaved and disciplined down south because of the strong religious culture. The blacks in the north have no self discipline, manners, or morals. I am black so this not racist. I have seen many blacks that were tremendous athletes that had to be kicked of the team because they wouldn't listen to the coach. Down south, young black men say "Yes sir." and "No sir" when the coach or somebody in authority tells them to do something.

This has to do with culture not weather. The Midwest has bad weather but they produce football players because they are not as secular and effeminate as the northeast.

What a load of BS ...

Reaction Score
What a load of BS ...
Hard to believe we have so many people here that believe some of those stereotypes? I thought it a little unreal where this thread was heading.It is a little humourus though.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe we have so many people here that believe some of those stereotypes? I thought it a little unreal where this thread was heading.It is a little humourus though.

I hope you realize my response to him was in absolute disbelief.

Reaction Score
I hope you realize my response to him was in absolute disbelief.
Of course Upstater, I was'nt including you're comments but the fact anyone would even go there? I considered a reply but realized with someone who believes that LOS is stuck on his belief of certain stereotypes. I follow you're posts enough to know your beyond this nonsense!

Reaction Score

It's rare that someone can say something so offensive that it makes you laugh to the point of tears. This guy NAILED it though. I'm crying. Absolutely hilarious ignorance.

I'll give you two words that display why the Northeast can't produce top talent. Jack Cochran.

Jack's work in Bloomfield, New London and New Britain was proof that the talent exists in CT to create HS football factories. We don't have the coaches to produce top talent in the North. We don't have the coaches because we don't possess the football culture of the South, Midwest and West Coast. Develop coaches...don't slap them on the wrist for being hard asses....do this and the talent will grow. As someone who lives in the midwest (Ohio) it is clear that the populations and people are very similar. The difference is the culture. Kids get into football at the age of 5 our here and the parents, coaches and kids all take it very seriously. it's just a different culture.

Reaction Score
One other thing I want to add. Ansonia is one of the smallest schools in the state but is consistently a football power that produces top 1A talent. Ansonia does this because for some reason this tiny town has a football culture similar to the South and Midwest. It's one of the few...if not the only town in the state with this type of culture. Again it's not weather or how
masculine or disciplined (LOL) the men are. It's about football culture. CT and the Northeast are lacking the culture. In CT. we have people who fought the move to 1A. In other parts of the country the thought of the states flagship University not being 1A would have been insane.

Reaction Score
One other thing I want to add. Ansonia is one of the smallest schools in the state but is consistently a football power that produces top 1A talent. Ansonia does this because for some reason this tiny town has a football culture similar to the South and Midwest. It's one of the few...if not the only town in the state with this type of culture. Again it's not weather or how
masculine or disciplined (LOL) the men are. It's about football culture. CT and the Northeast are lacking the culture. In CT. we have people who fought the move to 1A. In other parts of the country the thought of the states flagship University not being 1A would have been insane.
Funny how the culture up north seems to stop at the NYS line(with a few pockets/exceptions) with NJ/Penn ? And as Lacrosse becomes more popular could it drop further south?

Reaction Score

GO BACK HOME!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If any town in CT gives Ansonia a run for their money it is Madison. Madison is a small town of white, upper-middle class, not very big kids. It is about culture and coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom