Why buyout should NOT be factor in firing PP | The Boneyard

Why buyout should NOT be factor in firing PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Start with the buyout terms, then mix in the season tickets. As of July it was 19K season tix. Let's be generous and say it's about 23K
BUYOUT: In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the university's obligation to the coach: January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,250,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $750,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $600,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $400,000
The simple math is will 2013 ticket sales (season & individual game) decrease with a retained PP to such an extent that the lost revenue is greater than the difference between the buyout after the season and next season ($250K). Say the average cost of a season ticket is $300 (It'll probably be higher next year w/7 games and a higher price for the Michigan game). If ONLY 1000 give up their season tickets that's a $300,000 loss, not factoring in parking & concessions.

Doesn't seem like the $$ should be an obstacle to doing the right thing here. . . .and by the way kudos to PP's lawyer/agent for getting such sweetheart terms. Wonder if JH gets a share?

Reaction Score
I was expecting something like a phone call to Mr. Burton......"Bob, this is Warde Manuel. You were right. Let's talk buyout......."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't know what price can be put on having sent us back to the stone ages, football-wise. It really sucks to follow 8 years of optimism and varied success with going on two years of destroying all that was built.

Reaction Score
When you look at the total costs of hiring a coaching staff, the $250k incremental cost for keeping him an extra year is small potatoes. I don't think things are quite as dire as some seem to think, but we're definitely going in the wrong direction. I don't buy that we don't have good players. We've got great players all over the field on defense and personnel-wise we should be solid on offense.

So far the BE has been tougher overall than anybody would have predicted. 3/8 of the conference is ranked and we blew a home game to Temple. We're going to have a tough time getting 6 wins this season and then next year we're bringing in Boise and company which I think will elevate the overall quality of league play. We'll be losing a lot on defense and if P can't win 6 this year I don't see how P will be able to next season.

I think a worst case scenario is that we keep P and GDL and Brown leaves for a HC or even DC job rather than stay on the sinking ship. If we bring in a new OC things might get a little better, but P's clock management has driven me nuts since day 1, and he doesn't seem to think there's a problem so I don't see it getting better. It really makes me wish I had a ton of money.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Start with that amount is nada in big time football. Decide if you'd like to partake or not.

Reaction Score
I think we're stuck with this staff for next year. I'll try to get myself to wear a paper bag.

Reaction Score
Must be nice to have a job where you can absolutely suck then get paid 750K to 1MM just go away so you don't do more damage. The sick part is you know he actually believes he and GDL are doing a good job.

Reaction Score
Not sure if we ever got an unequivocal clarification on what the buy out cost is. We have seen a bunch of numbers tossed about and some bleacher seat lawyers (not a poke @ BL) read of the language but here is another person who thinks the buy-out is $1.75m. I did NOT write it - just sharing for argument sake. (and yes I relaize it's SB Nation).

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/10...uconn-football-program-has-a-tough-road-ahead

"It's worth examining letting Paul Pasqualoni go at the end of the season. Of course, you are saying "duh!", but realistically, it's not as easy as it sounds. If he coaches, Pasqualoni is due $1.7 million in 2013, $1.8 million in 2014 and $1.9 million in 2015. His buyout after this year is $1.75 million, but his replacement would need to be paid too, and UConn, not the state, is footing this bill (sounds like the same situation as our friends in Maryland are having with their coach - who is tied for first in ... oh I can't say it with cracking up... first place in the ACC... my goodness the ACC blows).

The cash situation could narrow UConn's replacement options, and it's not clear that a program struggling to fill half of a a stadium for a homecoming game is flush. Plus they'll probably have to cough up another half a million to get a consultant to hire this guy. I don't have a list of names in front of me -- that's the consultant's job -- I'm just hoping it's a young guy and they are patient with him."

Reaction Score
Your 1st loss is your best loss calculating how to solve a problem. You never factor in all the negatives that can occur by letting things ride when you know you should act.

Reaction Score
I think we're stuck with this staff for next year. I'll try to get myself to wear a paper bag.
The ONE bright spot in this whole mess...all the asst's contracts are done year to year. That gives Manuel the ability to not have a buyout issue with anyone else on the staff but Coach P. On the flip side it also allows guys like Brown, Foley and Day the ability to move on VERY easily as well!

Reaction Score
The ONE bright spot in this whole mess...all the asst's contracts are done year to year. That gives Manuel the ability to not have a buyout issue with anyone else on the staff but Coach P. On the flip side it also allows guys like Brown, Foley and Day the ability to move on VERY easily as well!

Or, conversely. All of the Assistants that we want to keep will leave for greener pastures. Foley has already been looking around. I am sure Shane Day could find a job.

I guarantee you Cerosimo won't be going anywhere.

Working for Coach Ozymandias is a dead end.

A current trend that you see in the college ranks is that a new HC will often seek to retain the old Defensive Coordinator for at least one season or more. It's good for continuity. With a new HC there is a reasonable chance that you can keep Don Brown. The new guy might even want Shane Day to keep working with Chandler Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Or, conversely. All of the Assistants that we want to keep will leave for greener pastures. Foley has already been looking around. I am sure Shane Day could find a job.
This is EXACTLY what I said at the end of my post

Reaction Score
Will need BL to weigh in here but it seems pretty clear-cut the buyout is $1M before Jan. 1, 2013, $750K before 1/1/14, etc.

The 'just cause' clause is interesting. Obviously that covers hiring your mistress as an administrator and then getting in a motorcycle crash with her aboard. Seems it would it cover insubordination. Let's say Warde says "you must fire DeLeone and a hire a new offensive coordinator" and PP refuses?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Will need BL to weigh in here but it seems pretty clear-cut the buyout is $1M before Jan. 1, 2013, $750K before 1/1/14, etc.

The 'just cause' clause is interesting. Obviously that covers hiring your mistress as an administrator and then getting in a motorcycle crash with her aboard. Seems it would it cover insubordination. Let's say Warde says "you must fire DeLeone and a hire a new offensive coordinator" and PP refuses?
This is my hope but I haven't seen the contract and the language defining PP's ability to choose his own assistants would play a role in this.

Reaction Score
I would be interested to find out if Manuel can refuse to renew GDL's contract for next season wherher P wants him back or not

Reaction Score
This is big time college football . . . buy PP out at any cost. He is seriously hurting this program.

Reaction Score
My worry is that it's possible that the buyout is a flat out deal breaker. If the SBNation number of 1.75m is correct, firing him may be a non starter. As much as Warde may want him gone, it's possible that the money just isn't there.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if PP and GDL are back next year, I'm not sure if I'll renew. I have no desire to see us getting drubbed by Michigan and Maryland next year. We can bitch and moan all we want here on the BY but your biggest voice is your wallet. And I can't see myself subsidizing this again next year. It's so clear what needs to be done it makes my head hurt.

Send PP and GDL packing come December. There's no other option.

Reaction Score
I think simple math will be what gets P&D the boot. An increase or just even season ticket sales will cover the buyout costs. Also if we hire an "up-and-coming" coach we might save a few hundred thousand on salary versus what P is making. Was shocked to see Addazio is only on 700K! If we make a similar hire we might save an extra 500K or so.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind having close to a wholesale change of the assistant coaching staff if P isn't fired. Get some damn recruiters in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom