Who were your childhood bball heroes? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Who were your childhood bball heroes?

Reaction Score
Earl Kelly was my first favorite player. But Chris Smith was my guy. I used to copy his pull ups and low ball handling style. I remember Billy Packer used to always say he was carrying the ball. He was smooth as hell though. I always wished better for him in his Junior and Senior years. He wasn’t really a true point guard though and was forced to be a playmaker more after Tate George left. They really lacked another ball handler in 91-92 besides a Freshman Kevin Ollie in ‘92. He had Scott Burrell playing the 2 a lot next to him his Junior and Senior years. Chris Smith, the CT recruit that turned it all around. Legend.
It's hilarious that Packer and others said that Smitty was carrying the ball especially when you compare his dribbling to what players get away with nowadays.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

Been watching college & pro hoops since 1950 (NBA began in '47).

I loved ALL the players & favored teams that truly played together over individual stars. EX: 50's/60's champs Celtics over Wilt & the Warriors. I used to literally live at the old MSG at 50th & 8th. Went to every basketball game ever year - tickets were only $2.50 for students with a school ID. Ha!

Best Individuals whom really I idolized & favored as a youngster:

Junior High & High School - Lew Alcindor - Used to follow him around NYC from gym to gym. Best All-Time.

College - Bill Bradley - What every mother wanted their son to be back then - 3X Princeton All-American, Straight A's, brilliant Rhodes Scholar - All-Time NCAA tournament scoring record, 57 pts. his final game. A real boy scout, great leader & complete team player. Bradley willed under-manned Princeton to a 3rd place finish in '65. Later: US Senator & Presidential candidate.

NBA - Bob Cousy - "Houdini of the Hardwoods" - the first real NBA Entertainer, whose Celtic teams usually won. Cousy's "fancy" passing & dribbling were pure magic in the '50's. First NBA player to make a $100K salary in the '50's! Russell was the second.

Best teams ever that truly played together: '70 & '73 Knicks - "Hit the Open Man." Frazier, Reed, DeBusschere, Bradley, Barnett. Phil Jackson was 6th man. Red Holzman was the coach, an original member of the 20's Original Celtics.

Father Demo

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Bailey Howell, got his autograph when I was 12 years old. Nice guy, talked with my dad, uncle, and myself for several minutes.
Detroit Pistons? Remember a great jump shot when that was not a popular shot at the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom