Who Wants To Coach The Connecticut Sun? | The Boneyard

Who Wants To Coach The Connecticut Sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
John Altavilla‏ @jaltavilla
Sources now indicating neither Carol Ross or Katie Smith interested in @connecticutsun job, either, along with Jen Rizzotti and Gail Goestenkors.

Jen Rizzotti's fans seem in a greater hurry to find her a new job... particularly with the WNBA's Connecticut Sun or UConn, the sport's mecca. Rizzotti is happy to say she is happy where she is and is in no hurry to change it. [LINK]

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Shea Ralph? Sue Bird?

Reaction Score
Wow - sounds like Jen has given a lot of thought to coaching UCONN after Geno, as well as being the head USA b-ball coach after Geno. Never one to think small, I guess.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd be stunned if Ralph or Rizotti considered the job at all. It's thankless, and the job security is very slim. Unless you produce a winner. People keep talking about Jen as the heir apparent to Geno but IMHO she needs a higher profile college gig before she can be seriously considered. She's had little to no recent success at Hartford and her best days seem to be years ago.

Reaction Score
I am sure Chris Senko 's phone isn't ringing every day with people who want the job. Players don't want to play here, so why would a coach want to come. I think they will have to hire someone with no experience, unless they overpay someone. If all the players come back healthy, this is a good team next year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am sure Chris Senko 's phone isn't ringing every day with people who want the job. Players don't want to play here, so why would a coach want to come. I think they will have to hire someone with no experience, unless they overpay someone. If all the players come back healthy, this is a good team next year.

Well if players dont want to play there..... then there is just one thing to do in my opinion. Follow the Whalers lead and move the franchise to NC. Charlotte has a top notch arena right in the heart of downtown... surrounded by nightlife, restaurants, hotels.... .. plus the players could just walk to the arena from their apartments. Lets bring this logo out of retirement :cool:

200px-Charlotte_Sting_1997-2003.png

Reaction Score
Well if players dont want to play there..... then there is just one thing to do in my opinion. Follow the Whalers lead and move the franchise to NC. Charlotte has a top notch arena right in the heart of downtown... surrounded by nightlife, restaurants, hotels.... .. plus the players could just walk to the arena from their apartments. Lets bring this logo out of retirement :cool:

View attachment 10875
So why didn't it work out the first time?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So why didn't it work out the first time?

The previous owner of the Charlotte Bobcats relinquished control and gave the team back to the WNBA. I dont think he ever cared about the WNBA... just wanted to turn a profit... and when that didnt happen... he gave up on the franchise. There was thought of maybe moving them to Kansas City... but obviously that didnt materialize. I think that if Jordan was the owner of the team back then....... things would have turned out differently. It was a sad sad day for me when the Sting folded :(

Reaction Score
The previous owner of the Charlotte Bobcats relinquished control and gave the team back to the WNBA. I dont think he ever cared about the WNBA... just wanted to turn a profit... and when that didnt happen... he gave up on the franchise. There was thought of maybe moving them to Kansas City... but obviously that didnt materialize. I think that if Jordan was the owner of the team back then.. things would have turned out differently. It was a sad sad day for me when the Sting folded :(

Ann Donovan also coached that team once...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ann Donovan also coached that team once...

Yep.... led us to the Finals in her first season.... made the playoffs the second... then she skipped town

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
An outside the box suggestion...Bridget Pettis.

Pettis, along with Jen Gillom and Michele Timms, was the heart and soul of the Mercury. She spent time as an unofficial assistant coach for the Mercury, while also working as a basketball trainer for players around Phoenix. I know this, because she was my basketball trainer for over one year.

Pettis has been an assistant with Tulsa for the past two seasons. Would she move with the team to Dallas, or is she ready for her own team? She knows the game. She knows about individual skill development (and I say that with first hand knowledge). She is well respected around the league for her work with players, particularly guards.

She may not have experience as a coach (only two years as an official assistant), but she played eight seasons in the WNBA and understands the professional game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
An outside the box suggestion...Bridget Pettis.

Pettis, along with Jen Gillom and Michele Timms, was the heart and soul of the Mercury. She spent time as an unofficial assistant coach for the Mercury, while also working as a basketball trainer for players around Phoenix. I know this, because she was my basketball trainer for over one year.

Pettis has been an assistant with Tulsa for the past two seasons. Would she move with the team to Dallas, or is she ready for her own team? She knows the game. She knows about individual skill development (and I say that with first hand knowledge). She is well respected around the league for her work with players, particularly guards.

She may not have experience as a coach (only two years as an official assistant), but she played eight seasons in the WNBA and understands the professional game.
Outside the box, outside the pallet, outside the warehouse, outside the industrial park . . . :)

But an intriguing thought, nonetheless. It occurs to me that the administration might indeed look outside the UCONN family. It's one thing to promote an assistant, it's another to promote one who is also an alumni. It makes it hard on everyone if the day comes that he or she must be let go. Also, it strikes me that Kevin Ollie is an anomaly. It seems to me most, though not all, assistants who replace legends struggle.

There are good arguments either way: "Pro" or "UConn".* I don't pretend to know the answer.

*Forgive me, I'm sure that's not original.

Reaction Score
Pettis is good. Kloppenberg too. As is Vicki Johnson. So is Thibault, Eric Thibault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom