Whitmer will be awesome next year! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whitmer will be awesome next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
With all this experience he is getting, he'll be great. Game experience like this is invaluable. Glad he's getting it.

Forget the won/lost record. It will pay off in 2015.

I don't make a habit of comparing guy's balls but I'm pretty sure Chandler's kerbangers are much, much bigger than yours.

user-image-1174920369_thumb.jpg

I've never shared this before but you're the d^ck who made me become a "former" lurker and start calling bullsh^t on posts like yours. I'll go out on a limb and say you weren't in the running for "Talks Least, Says Most" in your High School yearbook.

Think before you post my friend. Find a filter because your good posts get clouded by the senseless ones.

Reaction Score
With all this experience he is getting, he'll be great. Game experience like this is invaluable. Glad he's getting it.

Forget the won/lost record. It will pay off in 2015.

I really want to agree with your point, but Boyle has shown nothing. Sadly, I'm a Bills fan and there are people on their board that have the opinion of "why play Orton, he isn't a good QB" when the other option is EJ Manuel who perhaps could be something good but is noticeably worse than Orton. Whitmer played his heart out tonight, like he always does, and gave Uconn the best chance at pulling off the upset. If I felt that Boyle performing noticeably worse would have a huge impact in 2 years, I might've sacrificed this game. I just haven't seen anything from Boyle that makes me think he is even close to being as good as Whitmer is this year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Pal it sounds like you need to hug it out with someone. It will make you feel better and release some of your tension you have.

Enjoy the little things ;)

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Whitmer was gutty tonight.
He played his best game. I do not know what is going on, but this was our best game this year, and Chandler's. Tim looked okay, and I cannot question HCBD today, and I have been a major critic. At this point, Palatine, and I think you know your sh&t, I think we stay with Whitmer.

Reaction Score
Definately stay with Whitmer now, but he still needs to work on one main thing...take one more split second and step up in the pocket instead of running outside the pocket. Whitmer can not throw on the run or find the holes running like their guy could. College QBs who can throw on the run have such an advantage compared to those who can't.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Give Pal a break. He's trying to decide if he can say "Whitmer had a whopping 21 points tonight" and still be sarcastic.

Seriously though, I will join Pal on the Boyle bandwagon as soon as he starts picking up first downs and extending drives. And the funny thing is TB's best chance to get more snaps would be if UConn was getting blown out. That didn't happen today.

Reaction Score
Can someone tell me why Boyle's redshirt was burned this year? We have only 5 games left, Whitmer might be able to cross the finish line.

Diaco was extremely critical of the way Boyle was treated last year by the old staff, but at least the old staff gave him a real chance on the field.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought it was pretty funny, maybe it's a cynical moment for me

I absolutely love our D, how can any UConn fan not love their effort. (see, I'm Mr positive)

I wish we could choose to play D all game, like we defer our option to receive kickoffs after our opponent scores

at least our D is fun to watch

maybe I should record the games and watch our defensive possessions

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why did Ollie play Bazz so much this year??? How is that going to help next year.
Well played.

Reaction Score
Would Boyle allow the receivers to grow? The line to grow? The running game to develop? NO! Whitmer moved the ball, a lot of players were able to develop tonight. Boyle had his chance....3 and out!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
To me.....Pal is only 95% wrong. It is true that it would be great if we were not only developing lineman...CBs...linebackers for the future last night...but also a QB. It is enjoyable watching players develop...knowing that they are going to be that much better for it in the coming years. This is not going to be a bowl season...so why not start building for the future at all positions...including QB.

But....the problem is that the qb position is so vital for the whole offense....no offensive positions are going to develop if the qb is inept. If Boyle was in there...and he struggled with decisions and threw interceptions and was sacked.....would that have helped the development of the WRs and OL? Whitmer right now is so much better than Boyle, that at least he provides enough stability for the rest of the offense to develop. They can now buy into the strategy because they see some success.

I think as the season winds down...Boyle will get more and more playing time. But for now..the right call is to put in the qb who gives the offense the best chance to succeed and develop. When Boyle (or whoever) takes over next year...they will have a much more developed team as a result of playing with Whitmer. While it feels counter-intuitive....it is best for the long term to play the graduating QB.

Patience Pal...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Give Pal a break. He's trying to decide if he can say "Whitmer had a whopping 21 points tonight" and still be sarcastic.

Seriously though, I will join Pal on the Boyle bandwagon as soon as he starts picking up first downs and extending drives. And the funny thing is TB's best chance to get more snaps would be if UConn was getting blown out. That didn't happen today.

I was on the Boyle bandwagon too...because I hadn't seen a game like this from Whitmer in over two years. Thank you ECU defense for the worst game planning of all time! Once they realized that they should just blitz every down, they did, and we never moved the ball again.

What's ironic though is that Pal keeps bitching that Diaco doesn't try to win, then when he plays the guy for now, the guy playing well last night, he at about that. Can't have it both ways. But we are officially bowl ineligible, so I would like to see more of Boyle now. Last night, with a chance to beat a ranked team on the road on national TV, we had to keep Whitmer in. It was the right call.

Reaction Score
To me.....Pal is only 95% wrong. It is true that it would be great if we were not only developing lineman...CBs...linebackers for the future last night...but also a QB. It is enjoyable watching players develop...knowing that they are going to be that much better for it in the coming years. This is not going to be a bowl season...so why not start building for the future at all positions...including QB.

But....the problem is that the qb position is so vital for the whole offense....no offensive positions are going to develop if the qb is inept. If Boyle was in there...and he struggled with decisions and threw interceptions and was sacked.....would that have helped the development of the WRs and OL? Whitmer right now is so much better than Boyle, that at least he provides enough stability for the rest of the offense to develop. They can now buy into the strategy because they see some success.

I think as the season winds down...Boyle will get more and more playing time. But for now..the right call is to put in the qb who gives the offense the best chance to succeed and develop. When Boyle (or whoever) takes over next year...they will have a much more developed team as a result of playing with Whitmer. While it feels counter-intuitive....it is best for the long term to play the graduating QB.

Patience Pal...

This I think is the important point. I'm on record saying that Boyle should take 100% of the snaps if he is going to be the man next year. But if he can't really run the offense and it will kill the rest of the progress the team finally seems to be making then he needs to sit. He also might not be able to lead, and Whitmer, with all of his faults, is a tough kid that plays his s off. The fact that Whitmer might be THAT much better than Boyle also makes me think there is a pretty slim chance that Boyle will ever turn into anything.

I still believe once we are "officially" bowl-ineligible that Boyle should get a complete game or two so they can go into next season with an idea of which way to go. If they need to give up on him I hope they do it at the end of this season and not half way through next season if we are getting killed.

Reaction Score
I was on the Boyle bandwagon too...because I hadn't seen a game like this from Whitmer in over two years. Thank you ECU defense for the worst game planning of all time! Once they realized that they should just blitz every down, they did, and we never moved the ball again.

And thus ends the debate. UConn will not win with Whitmer at the helm. Give Boyle experience so we're not making excuses next season that he's inexperienced. And, if it turns out he can't play, then recruit QBs by the SUV full.

On a positive note, great block by Whitmer last night (ala Tom Brady). Showed that he is a football player.

Reaction Score
If you watched the game then you became aware that Whitmer is limited in the type of throws he can make. When ECU changed up their defense he was ineffective. He was also gutsy and I loved his block. Bitch at Palatine all you want but if giving Boyle 1 series a game is how to judge him then you know little about quarterbacking (and yes I was a QB). Yes he had four games last year, the toughest on our schedule, a new head coach, the inevitable offensive adjustments Weist felt he needed to make and a for *t line and was a freshman. Try to be rational, QB's need to get in a rhythm and a series a game is like pulling the singer before he is handed the mike. It was good to see Whitmer make us look better on national TV but we are going nowhere this year and oddly enough despite his gutsy performance Whitmer had a lot of three and outs down the stretch and he has the experience. Boyle can make those throws but not if he is not on the field and plays only one series a game. If this is a rebuilding year we are not strengthening the most important position on the field and Diaco's message on Boyle this year isn't going to help him next year. Now you guys can tear it up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And thus ends the debate. UConn will not win with Whitmer at the helm. Give Boyle experience so we're not making excuses next season that he's inexperienced. And, if it turns out he can't play, then recruit QBs by the SUV full.

On a positive note, great block by Whitmer last night (ala Tom Brady). Showed that he is a football player.

That's fine, as long as you know it may get ugly at times. But my take is that sometimes you are strategic and sometimes tactical. A win over a top 25 team on the road, on ESPN2, is of value. If Whitmer is playing well, you keep him in. End of story.

Now, bowl eligibility is officially over. Getting a win is still important for confidence, but strategically now, I would agree that we need to get Boyle some snaps, see what he can do with more opportunity.

Reaction Score
I'm glad we were able to compete tonight. Glad the OL allowed Chandler to throw for some yards. Really glad we didn't embarrass ourselves. I'm totally confused es on Nat TV. with putting Tim in at all if we're focused on winning each game. If that's not the case this close loss might feel great now and a little hollow in January.
Would Boyle allow the receivers to grow? The line to grow? The running game to develop? NO! Whitmer moved the ball, a lot of players were able to develop tonight. Boyle had his chance....3 and out!

We don't know because he hasn't been playing all year.

Reaction Score
Why did Ollie play Bazz so much this year??? How is that going to help next year.

You don't know the answer to that? Wow.

P/S, end a question with a question mark.

Reaction Score
I somehow convoluted 2 posts with jumbled sentences above and got it posted.

I think maybe the BB team with a path to the tournament and a winning record had slightly different objectives and potential than the FB does. That might account for their approach.

Reaction Score
Come on, the two situations are not remotely close. Bazz, was an all american candidate, pro prospect, and a proven winner.

Whitmer is Whitmer, and not to close to being any of the three things I mentioned about Bass.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Come on, the two situations are not remotely close. Bazz, was an all american candidate, pro prospect, and a proven winner.

Whitmer is Whitmer, and not to close to being any of the three things I mentioned about Bass.

Playing Devil's advocate (because I'd like to see Boyle more). But what you said is irrelevant.

Bazz was the PG who gave the team the best chance to win (in view of the coach).
Whitmer is the QB who gives the team the best chance to win (in view of the coach).

How good or bad they are is not relevant, except in comparison to who would replace them. I'd argue that Bazz vs Boat is probably pretty close to Whitmer vs Boyle. They only difference is that Ollie had the luxury, not available in football, of playing Boat out of position at SG.

What matters is how much value you place on winning the game vs development. That's where things are different. Although I think winning last night's game would have tremendous value. The SMU game at the end of the year? Not so much. Every basketball game had max value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom