Which non P-5 most belongs in a P-5? | The Boneyard

Which non P-5 most belongs in a P-5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Honestly, I am a bit surprised that UCONN received any votes after the past 4 seasons (with special consideration given to the most recent 2).

SchoolPct.
BYU24
East Carolina21
Boise State19
Cincinnati8
Houston8
UCF6
Marshall5
UConn2
San Diego State2
Fresno State1
Navy1
SMU1
Temple1

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They're just talking about football. If you took that poll in 2010, we'd be 4 or 5. If you asked the same question about just basketball, we're 1 through 5 on the list. If you looked at athletic department as a whole along with the university's fit, it's us and BYU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right now I'd answer none of the above.

Reaction Score
More than 1/2 of the P5 is not in the top 30 in football. That doesn't trump this:

B0JuQ-_IUAEX9i9.png:large

Dooley

Reaction Score
They're just talking about football. If you took that poll in 2010, we'd be 4 or 5. If you asked the same question about just basketball, we're 1 through 5 on the list. If you looked at athletic department as a whole along with the university's fit, it's us and BYU.

Exactly right. This is a poll of FOOTBALL coaches. Nobody else. And the fact that UCONN received 2% of votes despite an absolutely dismal 1-5 season on the heels of a dismal 3-9 season, is simply amazing. It goes to show the good reputation that this program once had and the importance of restoring it.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
More than 1/2 of the P5 is not in the top 30 in football. That doesn't trump this:

B0JuQ-_IUAEX9i9.png:large
This looks impressive until you take into account that we've only won 3 national championships in the past year. We're washed up at this point.

pj

Reaction Score
Putting East Carolina at the top, and UCF close, demonstrates the importance of recent football success. Football coaches have short memories.

Reaction Score
They must spend December through April recruiting and studying film

Dooley

Reaction Score
Putting East Carolina at the top, and UCF close, demonstrates the importance of recent football success. Football coaches have short memories.

Agreed. That's why I'm so surprised UCONN received 2%. If our friggin' football program could just show a pulse, a twitch, blink twice for "yes"...anything, then it could help us out considerably.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Yet, most football coaches don't have a say in who the conferences bring in.

Reaction Score
AAC should add BYU, Boise State, Marshall, San Diego State, and Fresno State and change the conference name to The Island of Misfit Toys.

Reaction Score
AAC should add BYU, Boise State, Marshall, San Diego State, and Fresno State and change the conference name to The Island of Misfit Toys.
Been there, done that. Remember?

pj

Reaction Score
Honestly, I am a bit surprised that UCONN received any votes after the past 4 seasons (with special consideration given to the most recent 2).

SchoolPct.
BYU24
East Carolina21
Boise State19
Cincinnati8
Houston8
UCF6
Marshall5
UConn2
San Diego State2
Fresno State1
Navy1
SMU1
Temple1

Let's re-order this based on market size:

UConn
BYU
UCF (large market but behind Florida, Florida State)
Cincinnati (large market but second to Ohio State and pro teams)
San Diego State (large market but pro orientation and many Hispanics with little football interest or immigrants with loyalties elsewhere; competition from USC and UCLA)
USF (large market but mostly retirees with little USF interest)
Houston (large market but dominated by Texas and A&M)
Temple (large market but dominated by Penn State and maybe Rutgers is ahead too)
Navy (not as large a service as Army)
SMU (large market dominated by host of other schools)
Army (lacking recent success or willingness to compete)

Pickings get thin quickly. Only UConn and BYU and maybe the service academies are #1 in loyalty among college programs in their respective markets. BYU and the service academies have a dispersed national audience and so are not so good for cable revenue. If you are the B1G looking at prospects, UConn is the only non-P5 school that is attractive.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Let's re-order this based on market size:

UConn
BYU
UCF (large market but behind Florida, Florida State)
Cincinnati (large market but second to Ohio State and pro teams)
San Diego State (large market but pro orientation and many Hispanics with little football interest or immigrants with loyalties elsewhere; competition from USC and UCLA)
USF (large market but mostly retirees with little USF interest)
Houston (large market but dominated by Texas and A&M)
Temple (large market but dominated by Penn State and maybe Rutgers is ahead too)
Navy (not as large a service as Army)
SMU (large market dominated by host of other schools)
Army (lacking recent success or willingness to compete)

Pickings get thin quickly. Only UConn and BYU and maybe the service academies are #1 in loyalty among college programs in their respective markets. BYU and the service academies have a dispersed national audience and so are not so good for cable revenue. If you are the B1G looking at prospects, UConn is the only non-P5 school that is attractive.

Completely agree. When you factor EVERYTHING (markets, academics, support, entire athletic department, etc), then UCONN is the clear "next in line". This is just a football coaches poll only and like dayooper mentioned, football coaches have no say in CR. I'm just simply stunned that any football coach would still vote for UCONN given our program's recent downward spiral. I actually think this is a very encouraging sign for UCONN football (different from CR). Every single football program above UCONN on this poll has had recent success or, in BYU's case, a history of success. UCONN football must have a better reputation amongst the coaching circles out there than even we as fans realize. We've won 4 games in 2 years and still coaches are voting for UCONN. I hope this type of respect for UCONN football helps us schedule and recruit in the future.

Honestly, this program is just one winning season away from generating buzz again. Our downward spiral (a big thanks and you to Jeff Hathaway!) couldn't have come at a worse time. We just need a friggin' pulse...not these embarrassing games on national TV or even ESPN3 that we've been showing.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
If you think UConn has a larger market than BYU then you need to do a little research on the LDS.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Football coaches don't know much, and realignment is clearly not just about on-field football. We tend to emphasize it, because it does hinder UConn. But taking everything into account, athletics, prestige, academics, markets, brand value, fan loyalty, alumni loyalty, it would be:
UConn
BYU
Cinci
SMU
UCF
after that it is irrelevant as none of those other schools are even remotely close to consideration for P5 and never will be. Houston and SDSU would be next. None of them move the needle beyond their home city except Army and Navy, and those two are really only playing D1 sports for the sake of history. The academies don't really attempt to compete at that level in any sport. Schools like USF end up having many of their alumni root for UF or FSU. The only two on the list with more than a local following that actually play D1 sports are UConn and BYU.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger