Which Conference do you want to see UConn in? | The Boneyard

Which Conference do you want to see UConn in?

Which Conference would you like to see UConn accept an invite to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming the following represent either a desire or a possibility. I did not include the PAC or SEC as I do not think these are viable. The following were listed alphabetically.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
For $ and security, the B1G is the way to go.

But for a UConn basketball fan, the ACC would be amazing.

Reaction Score
ACC basketball would be amazing now as it would be great to beat up on BC and to play Dook. However, the Big has many BB powers that would be awesome to face. Think if/when Indiana turns it around, something I think UConn would be able to help them do as we bring championships to the conference. Oh, and I am not saying they are bad, just saying I remember when all the talk was UNC and Indiana. Not to mention they have MSU, UM, OSU, N, and M coming in.

However on the other side of BB, I think the women do much better with the teams they would play against in the ACC from a fan stand-point. IMO it comes down to WBB in the ACC or BIG in football. The women can schedule out of conference, but football??? There are a lot more teams in the BIG with better football than the ACC. Short term ACC would be better as UConn would not likely be the bottom feeder, in the BIG, we won't be last but we wont be looking good til our program refortifies itself under Diaco with a few years of experience, just my opinion!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
For $ and security, the B1G is the way to go.

But for a UConn basketball fan, the ACC would be amazing.
Agreed 100%.

I'd love to have us in the B1G, since that guarantees our future forever.

That said, the ACC would be awesome because of the absolute hatred/contempt I have for BC, Cuse, Pitt and Duke. Those games would get me more worked up every year than anything the B1G could offer.

Reaction Score
I can be a very shallow person and with that said after reading those posts the last week from those blowhards from Notre Dame and Virginia I say sign me up for any conference but the ACC

Reaction Score
MEAC, SWAC, SOUTHLAND, SUMMIT, SANS A BELT. One of those big names. I can't even predict what "college" athletics will look like in 5 years, let alone conference realignment. That popping sound you're hearing is Mark Emmert's head exploding.

Reaction Score
B1G is my preferred landing spot, it would put us in a conference with similiar institutions. The ACC would be my other favored landing spot. The B-12 would just be WVU Part II for us.

Reaction Score
Well since I care about basketball, soccer, volleyball, wrestling and hockey - I'd be supremely pissed if the BIG let UConn go to the ACC - "supremely pissed".

I don't know why certain BIG fans are threatened or grouchy about UConn to the BIG, esp the basketball fans. These fans seem to never have an answer to one simple question I post: WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO HAVE THE BEST COMPETITION POSSIBLE IN-CONFERENCE? I've turned somewhat grey & the blood pressure has risen because of the BIG's 7 NCAA runners up since 1992. I thought Izzo was going to get his second at MSU by now, but something seems to stop him from having the right team each year, and it's usually internal or injury related - he may push his teams too hard.

I don't understand IU's incompetence right now - it's actually almost a comedy of dysfunction. Michigan is certainly on its way back - Beilein can coach and he doesn't need Ky talent. I think Matta is overdue, though he has 2 FFs, plenty of S16s and EEs. OSU has a monster class coming in and at least one immediate impact transfer - the landscape better not sleep on OSU next season. Who knows about underachieving Illinois & in-state partner NW - someday those schools will figure out how to lock down the excess talent in that state. Wisky has really surprised me & I think Ryan's best years, which is scary, are now and in the future. Minnesota is already a nuisance with Pitino - that young man can coach. I have no idea what is wrong with Purdue - the team with the most BIG conference titles (<-- bet most folks don't know that). Md is the right coach away from prominence again - they certainly have a great class coming in. Iowa is rising, though this season I think the coaches son had cancer and it contributed towards their slide. Neb has a nice coach in Miles, and a sweet new arena. PSU doesn't seem to care despite having annual state talent that is usually among the nation's best - I'll give em a break due to all the in-state competition: Pitt, St. Joes, Villanova, etc. I'm not going to pick on Rutgers, but man they have great hs talent in Jersey.

We shall see.

Reaction Score
Anybody vote for : " Big East " in this poll ?

... that was sober when they did so ?

Reaction Score
I chose "Big East" as a wise-ass. Wanted to emulate nelsonmoron. You can add change my vote in favor of the B1G! Can't change my damn vote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I chose "Big East" as a wise-ass. Wanted to emulate nelsonmoron. You can add change my vote in favor of the B1G! Can't change my damn vote. 86% want to go to the B1G.
Actually, I did not vote in my own poll...Thought I shouldn't bias it, so if you want - I'll give you my vote for the BIG!!! Just let me know?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If there was a "whoever invites us first" option, I would have picked that. My preference:

1. B1G - by far my first preference. I like being aligned with northern-based public universities (except for NW) who are strong in academics and athletics;
2. ACC - when it comes down to it, I don't trust the majority of members in this conference but we do have a lot of hated rivals in it and it would seem to be a good fit geographically;
3. B12 - we have nothing in common with any school in this conference (except maybe Kansas) but the travel would be the same as the AAC with obvious upgrade to credibility and cash;
4. SEC - a VERY long longshot but it actually does make a tiny bit of sense if the SEC ever decided to want to upgrade their basketball profile (they don't need to worry about any sort of football upgrade) and try to tap up into northeast TV markets. Like the B12, we have nothing in common with any school;

Reaction Score
Easy answer - B1G.

I've despised the ACC since I saw a Duke game for the first time. I'd love the opportunity to continue to loathe that conference.

Delany, Rise Up!

Reaction Score
The B1G is the obvious choice due to $ and security.

Selfishly I'd like to be able to play Saracuse, BCU, Dook, UNC, and Pitt. It would also be amazing if they held the championship in MSG every other year. With Saracuse, BCU, Pitt, and UConn, it could happen. UNC and Dook travel well. Maryland too. NYC is easily accessible to all conference teams.

Reaction Score
I kind of flip-flop between the ACC and the B1G. I literally despise Swofford both for what he did to the Big East and for his poor direction setting and management of the ACC member institutions. Disregarding him, there's a lot I like about the conference starting with the schools in its Virginia/North Carolina base. I like that Florida State is staging a comeback in football and Clemson seems poised to venture forward on a near-equal footing. I prefer their recruiting grounds, trips south rather than west, and teams sharing a common time zone. I like that we would probably be able to compete in football better. I dislike their half-hearted attempt at New York, their inability to hold Maryland, and their vulnerability to poaching especially of the Carolina/Virginia teams. I don't like that the conference is carrying so much dead wood.

I like the membership profile of the B1G, like the shared northern culture, like that the conference is more cohesive and doesn't sacrifice standards to expediency, is more deliberate and forward thinking when adding members. I don't like that the conference has plateaued in on-field performance while its competition had continued to advance and holds the crappy end of the population trends stick.

Had the ACC moved decisively into the northeast by annexing UConn, Rutgers, BC, and Syracuse, I could easily have warmed to them home to our athletics. They would probably have held Maryland and cut the B1G off from and eastward move. But they didn't and I don't see anyway to re-do that now. I have to go with the B1G.

pj

Reaction Score
B1G is the obvious and correct answer. ACC should be a good landing place but the petty politics and animosities are just too much, I would never be enthusiastic about joining that league or feel that the other schools were our allies.

B12 is great for football, and we need to build football; moreover it has a few big advantages over the ACC: (1) we would own Tier 3 rights which are valuable at UConn, allowing us to develop our relationships with regional partners like SNY; and (2) optionality -- B12 due to Texas's / Oklahoma's desire for options is far more open to departures than other major conferences -- we could potentially leave with several other B12 teams to the preferred destination, the B1G, at a future date. The ACC is locking everybody up with a GoR and huge exit fee. They are the Hotel California of conferences.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wanted to revisit this thread after about 100 votes or so, in order to get a better statistical view of what people wanted. I didn't realize how dominant the sentiment would be for the B1G over the ACC (I'm also one of the B1G voters). I'm wondering if others are feeling the way I'm feeling; the idea of joining a conference that I've hated for three decades makes me want to vomit. I obviously wouldn't say "no" (nor would UConn), but....B1G! B1G! B1G! ;)

Reaction Score
I wanted to revisit this thread after about 100 votes or so, in order to get a better statistical view of what people wanted. I didn't realize how dominant the sentiment would be for the B1G over the ACC (I'm also one of the B1G voters). I'm wondering if others are feeling the way I'm feeling; the idea of joining a conference that I've hated for three decades makes me want to vomit. I obviously wouldn't say "no" (nor would UConn), but....B1G! B1G! B1G! ;)
Like you, I wanted to see the same thing and this is why I wanted to post the poll. Also, I would love to get an even larger sample. To me, it would be nice if every season ticket holder took this poll. More importantly, to have a large number of people answering it, IMO would further demonstrate our interest not only in Realignment but interest in UConn. One surprise to me, is that I would have expected the UConn BB Fans Men's and Women's to lean more to the ACC, so far I have not seen this. Of course, I don't know the breakdown of the fan interest in taking this pole. Maybe one thing to consider after this poll is a question asking those that participated if they consider themselves to be WBB, MBB, FB, or both BB & FB Fans. Of course right now, I just want a larger sample population. This could also be a great exercise for any statistical math students at UConn.

After posting this pole, I realized it might have been good to have had two other categories, -
one I don't care, but then I realized - they don't have to answer.
two the first to invite us gets our vote - but to me this smacks of desperation, not saying that we aren't but it appears that the UConn president and AD no longer wish to pursue the anywhere but here mantra in any public forum - at least that is my opinion. It is why some of us if not all of us hope there is something going on behind closed doors -again JMHO

Dooley

Reaction Score
Fess up, who voted to stay in the AAC? Bet it was one of our visiting friends.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Here's how warped I am: I'd rather join the B1G in 5 years (guaranteed spot of course) than the ACC next year. Aside from Tobacco Road, I don't trust a single school in that conference. To me, it's a conference built on fear and distrust. Not a good recipe for long term sustainability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom