Where's the rebounding? | The Boneyard

Where's the rebounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure who else besides Brimah is gonna do it, I just feel anytime (even the year they won it all) they lack rebounding, luckily they avoided that year UNC who had 3 giants. Early in that 1st half vs michigan it showed, can't just depend on the 3 to always bail them out.

Reaction Score
We've out rebounded every team except Syracuse. I don't think rebounding is going to be a major issue this year like it has been in the recent past. This team just needs to shore up its defensive rotations and switches. It's the first time in a while where our offense is is ahead of our defense. We we putting points up like we haven't seen in a while.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Im scratching my head over SoCal613ws comments
Firstly, even the year they won it all? Last I checked there are 4 banners hanging somewhere.
Secondly, besides Brimah??? Please show me what great rebounding stats you are looking at
When I look at rebounding stats for this year and last, I see DHam as the leader

Reaction Score
Im scratching my head over SoCal613ws comments
Firstly, even the year they won it all? Last I checked there are 4 banners hanging somewhere.
Secondly, besides Brimah??? Please show me what great rebounding stats you are looking at
When I look at rebounding stats for this year and last, I see DHam as the leader
that's the thing, a guard shouldn't be the leading rebounder, I know uconn has good guards, but they lack that big man that rebounds is what i'm saying. Facey hasn't been it, Nolan sure as hell is not it, hopefully it's enoch.

Reaction Score
DHam isnt a guard. And Shonn Miller is a pretty good rebounder at the 4.

C

Chief00

To me it's really more about being man handled inside than pure rebounding stats. We need a physical prescence in the list, quite frankly.

Reaction Score
that's the thing, a guard shouldn't be the leading rebounder, I know uconn has good guards, but they lack that big man that rebounds is what i'm saying. Facey hasn't been it, Nolan sure as hell is not it, hopefully it's enoch.
Facey averages 5 rebounds in only 15 minutes per game. Any team in the country would love to have a guy like that on their bench.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
To me it's really more about being man handled inside than pure rebounding stats. We need a physical prescence in the list, quite frankly.

I like the way you started mixing in your "quite frankly" at the end of your post. I worry that you forgot it...then BOOM it's there! I am relieved, quite frankly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Defend the three better. Shoot the three better.

Problem solved.

Reaction Score
Not sure who else besides Brimah is gonna do it, I just feel anytime (even the year they won it all) they lack rebounding, luckily they avoided that year UNC who had 3 giants. Early in that 1st half vs michigan it showed, can't just depend on the 3 to always bail them out.
We've out rebounded every team except Syracuse. I don't think rebounding is going to be a major issue this year like it has been in the recent past. This team just needs to shore up its defensive rotations and switches. It's the first time in a while where our offense is is ahead of our defense. We we putting points up like we haven't seen in a while.
As a supplement to @Mots010's post, our rebounding averages the last 5 years, including this season so far:

2016: 41
2015: 34
2014: 35
2013: 33
2012: 37

We're finally rebounding at a respectable rate again. It shouldn't matter where it's coming from.

Reaction Score
-23, dead on with this thread. Uconn finally seemed to play someone who was bigger and it showed

Reaction Score
We got out rebounded tonight by more than 20. That was the difference in the game by far, save the comeback and bad call. We were destroyed on the boards in the first half and it out us in too big a hole to dig out of. No doubt it was the key to this game and a huge issue we have to deal with.

Reaction Score
Would a partial zone something like a triangle and 2 help? Even when we play good man-to-man, once the top guard gets beat and the offensive player goes past him (see Gibbs or Hamilton), then no one comes off their man to help out and stop penetration. With the zone's base men we should rebound better. Don't know, just asking.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
-23, dead on with this thread. Uconn finally seemed to play someone who was bigger and it showed

Gonzaga was without a doubt bigger. We didn't fight for rebounds against Maryland. That was the problem.

Strangely enough, Brimah seemed to fight for rebounds more than anyone else. That was good to see.

Reaction Score
It's a fair point as Miller is undersized against big lineups and Amida is too thin. I know we were heavily involved with Stone but in general I don't see us heavily recruiting bigger stronger centers. Drummond was homegrown and ours to lose so I don't really count him.

We've seen considerable size from teams like Gonzaga, Maryland, Cuse to an extent, and all three had big white guys who can play. Why don't we recruit any of these guys? The only white players to play under KO were Giffey and Olander, both of whom were recruited by JC. I understand when it comes to smaller skill players but ignoring the white players cuts off a large % of the quality high school big men. Seems to make sense to include them in our recruiting mix.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
DHam isnt a guard. And Shonn Miller is a pretty good rebounder at the 4.
No, Miller's not. He's a great leaper and can grab some boards, but he actually doesn't know how to box out and struggles to get good position when playing against good athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom